[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone redpill me on BTC/CC mining? Is it even profitable

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

Can someone redpill me on BTC/CC mining? Is it even profitable any more, I have been out of the scene since what was basically the start.

I have access to free power does that change anything or should I still not bother?

I feel like it's better than not letting it run when I'm out which is most of the time.
>>
>>56034204
bitcoin mining hasnt been profitable since 2010.
Whos paying for your power, your mom?

If you buy some some shit to mine btc at a reasonable (still ineffective) speed, it would take years to break even.
>>
>>56034204
>Is it even profitable any more

No. There's farms in China that fill warehouses. It's pointless to mine anything. You're better off trading.
>>
You'd be better off begging for quarters in the subway
>>
>>56034350
I have fixed rent with utilities paid as I'm living on campus. I'm in a large building so I doubt they would find out. I have a 7990 just sitting there that I could be using. Would I see any profit in a couple of weeks?
>>
>>56034398
If you joined a mining pool and mined for a week with a 7990 you'd probably have less than a cent at the end of it

It's really not worth it
>>
>>56034398
I dont know, everyone I knew that did it quit years ago, and they were using bots (good ones).
>>
>>56034398
Mining Bitcoin? You wouldn't earn anything. Maybe a penny.

Point it to something that you can still GPU mine. Ethereum / Ethereum Classic whatever or find a profitable altcoin or one that you think will be worth something and mine it. That's if you are mining at all.
>>
>>56034416
Holy shit ok yeah fuck that
>>
>>56034437

Anyone mine ETH with a 7990? I'm guessing 30 Mh/s with it, but it's hard to guess. DAG increase kind of makes old benches worthless.

If you could pull 30 Mh/s off with it then you might be able to pull $3.50 a day on Ethereum.

I'd avoid Classic because it is really just a pump and dump. More so than other coins.
>>
>>56034533
I mine with an R9 280, which is essentially a 7950 rebadged. I get 16Mh/s with it. A 7990 should be 2x that, give or take, minus some inefficiencies make 30Mh/s a reasonable assessment. I'm mining ETH too.

>>56034454
Bitcoin mining with GPUs is worthless since there are Application-Specific Integrated Circuits (designed solely to do that specific calculation) that can mine more efficiently than general purpose processors like the GPUs. Altcoins use a different algorithm that can't easily be mined with ASICs.
>>
People are mining coins, but not BTC. Miners are buying up all the RX 480 cards, which is why they're always out of stock.
>>
>>56034647
Are RX480s really a better deal in terms of Gh/s per dollar than getting used 7xxx cards from eBay?
>>
AFAIK BTC has gotten to the point where the complexity is so high that with GPU miners the money you're going to get isn't enough to pay for just the electricity. Because of that, if you want to do GPU mining, look up another currency with a good ratio between complexity and how much the coins are worth.
>>
>>56034734
The problem with used cards is that the supply is somewhat unpredictable and the used cards are much less reliable than new cards.
>>
>>56034734

I think the RX 480 hits around 24-28 Mh/s. I don't know about the power usage. It's lower than other cards in that range, though.

Hard to guess what the better buy would be. I don't think there is a whole lot of Ethereum mining left before it switches to Proof of Stake. I thought it was happening early next year or end of this year, but haven't heard anything concrete.

You'd probably need 4 months to break even buying a RX 480 just to mine.
>>
>>56034416
As someone who mined coin awhile ago I can confirm you'd make less than a cent and you wouldn't even be able to cash out that cent because >minimum payouts.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.