[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've fed up with Windows 10 /g/, I'm moving to Linux.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 8

I've fed up with Windows 10 /g/, I'm moving to Linux.

What is the best one out there, and why?
>>
>>56014629
go fuck urself retard
>>
>>>/flt/
>>>/sqt/
>>
>>56014629
Fedora 24.

> stable
> current
> switched to wayland
> well-supported

Consider installing a different DE though.
>>
>>56014629
kys
>>
>>56014629
Do not fall for the inevitable memers suggesting anything other than *buntu or fedora for your first distro.

Anything else is an unecessary timesink for beginners unless you intend to do something very specific with it.
>>
>>56014648
>>56014899

The Linux community is so friendly to new people <3

For new people I would recommend trying Distros out in VMs or Live Sessions first. Linux Mint and Ubuntu are both good choices for new people.
>>
>>56014941
didnt read kys
>>
File: 1454694205403.png (51KB, 397x379px) Image search: [Google]
1454694205403.png
51KB, 397x379px
>>56014629
I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>56014629
debian testing with cinnamon, It's basically ubuntu and mint except not a piece of shit.
>>
>>56014629
Fedora 24

(If you're really new and can't handle googling basic things, Ubuntu)
>>
>>56014629
I recommend Cinnamon but I'm trying to ween myself by from being Win7 dependent
>>
>>56014941
I was thinking about mint, but these last days /g/ started saying stuff like bloated/unstable. Also what about the ubuntu botnet meme? Liked cinnamon already googled how to install it on ubuntu, just taking some time do decide.
Security wise do I need something? on windows I'm with avas + malwarebytes + glasswire
>>
>>56014629
ubuntu MATE
>>
>>56014629
Windows 7
>>
>>56015740
>MATE
dis
>>
>>56014629

To be honest all Linuxes suck for any kind of actual work. You can't have stuff like Autocad, Photoshop, After Effects, drivers that let you use the advanced functions for your hardware, or even good drivers for uncommon hardware. If you're trying to do some kind of professional work that would require certain suite on Windows, in Linux you will end up replacing it with two or three different suites that will allow you to do like 99% of what the Windows alternative could, but in twice the time. It's just not worth it because it won't allow you to work as efficiently as Windows does.

Now, there are a bunch of issues with the shitty kernel (and the people who develop it) and the different distros, but you probably don't need to know all that. Bottom line is that Linux kernel is acceptable as long as you don't need support for hardware or application software, and that all desktop distros suck in different ways and are inferior to Windows. If you only want it to surf the web and watch videos and casual stuff it will be fine though; just don't forget that Linux for work is a no go.
>>
Arch Linux.
>>
>>56016295
it will be fine for work as well, not specialized work tho
>>
File: screenshot013.png (1MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot013.png
1MB, 1366x768px
>>56014629
Dont forget to disable that terrible "Secure Boot UEFI" in BIOS...

And go with Ubuntu (xUbuntu is fast and unbloated).

Pic related is Mr Robot updating his sources and installing TOR like a great hacker he is..
(...not even hacking his kernel from scratch...)
>>
>>56014629
Debian without SystemD, remove SystemD and install SysVinit, use a netinstall, best GNU based OS i've ever used
>>
>>56014937
does mint count as *buntu?
>>
>>56014629
Either Arch or Ubuntu.
>>
>>56014629
Fedora

But what's so wrong with Win10? I like it a lot and I'm former Fedora user. The only thing I want to murder in this system is the forced update-reboot cycle.
>>
For new users, the choice is split into DE and distro.

The Desktop Environment changes the look and feel.
Things like how the panel work, how you launch applications, what applications look like etc, is the DE.
Most things you experience right away is because of the DE and if you have a problem, it is usually because of the DE.

The distribution is less important, but new users get the feeling this matters a lot.
It changes how you get the software.
This includes how fast you get updates, how much testing is done before you get the updates, and what software is installed by default and what is available.

I don't think this matters for new users.
New users need to learn about the system before they make changes to it.

So my suggestion is ubuntu + mate.
It is very basic, so it is hard to fuck up.
After a while, I would suggest that you replace the window manager with something useful.

This way, you have to critically think about what you want, how things should function and you have to figure out how to make it so.
>>
>>56015655
Use Mint and don't let memers tell you anything else.

Also type in terminal
sudo ufw enable
>>
>>56017496
how is it Asian language support? Read a lot of japanese stuff
>>
>>56017496
That is objectively the most sensitive answer. Faith in humanity restored.
>>
>>56017596
Is pretty good by default but install WenQuanYi font if you want the most recommended fonts
sudo apt-get install fonts-wqy-zenhei
>>
File: 1470793586745.png (101KB, 660x734px) Image search: [Google]
1470793586745.png
101KB, 660x734px
>>56017593
downloading ubuntu and mint, decide when installing later. So none of pic is true?
>>
>>56017840
Why don't you get Fedora? Seriously, you are in for a world of hurt. Those things work for a few weeks, then something breaks, then you get frustrated.

Well whatever, just remember there are alternatives that actually work.
>>
>>56017994
Never heard about it before those 2 are the recommendations I usually see for people coming from windows
>>
There really isn't much difference in distros, just use Mint.
>>
I'm curious about linux. Does anyone use linux exclusively in command line? Can you run a browser from the linux command line?
>>
The best Linux is GNU/Linux
>>
>>56018099
Yes, w3m and lynx are good. Depending on your terminal emulator, w3m can actually render images. It's kinda neat.
>>
>>56018099
People do it, yes. There are CLI based browsers but they're (unsurprisingly) very limited in terms of features.
>>
>>56017840
Everything of pic related is true. Here's the update blacklist: https://github.com/linuxmint/mintupdate/blob/master/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/rules
>>
>>56018099
a. unlikely
b. yes , with either lynx or links (links -g)
>>
>>56014866
Like what DEis the best
>>
>>56018069
>never heard of fedora
it's in your fucking picture you dumbass
>>
>>56018144
damn you! I was pretty comfy with mint for the last 4 years. fedora it is!
>>
>>56014629
The best one is the one that you build from bottom up. But if you are really new start with Ubuntu MATE
>>
>>56014629
linux mint sarah. it's easy to use, stable, fast, and kinda looks like the older versions of windows with the start menu and all that. it even comes with a little ap store type deal where you can get cool free programs.
>>
>>56018144
Wtf I hate mint now!!!
>>
>>56014629
I'd recommend Ubuntu GNOME as your first distro. Clean UI with all the power of Linux.

>inb4 Mint
I'd recommend Mint if they didn't ship their distro with their shitty Mint apps. Those things can go fuck themselves.
>>
>>56015740
>no hardware acceleration
>plugins that did give it acceleration are no longer under active development
Yeah MATE is totally a good choice :^)
>>
Mint (Cinnamon)

>looks great
>just works
>windows users feel right at home with it
>triggers Ubuntu fags
>>
>>56016295
>all desktop distros suck in different ways and are inferior to Windows
This. For roughly 95% of use cases out there, you're going to be doing double the work you would have done on Windows to use Linux.
>>
>>56018369
>I'd recommend Mint if they didn't ship their distro with their shitty Mint apps. Those things can go fuck themselves.

I think that is part of the appeal, actually. It means you can just install it and have everything you need to get up and running. If you don't want to use them then just replace them later.
>>
>>56018413
Can't you just install cinnamon on ubuntu?
>>
Install Manjaro. It's basically Arch without the autism. I prefer Xfce or MATE.
>>
>>56018202
Gnome 3
>>
File: angry_pepe.jpg (65KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
angry_pepe.jpg
65KB, 900x900px
>>56018450
>Manjaro
>"It's basically Arch without the autism"
MANJARO IS NOTHING COMPARED TO ARCH REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>56018445
>It means you can just install it and have everything you need to get up and running.
Not when they break constantly and have interfaces that are stuck in 2009.
>>
Don't use vanilla ubuntu, get Xubuntu or Debian.
>>
File: brdcVtM.gif (4MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
brdcVtM.gif
4MB, 320x240px
>>56014629
yea get fedora or Ubuntu get used to gnome 3 or unity for awhile and you'll find your productivity and happiness increase by avoiding microcancer
>>
>>56018447
Allegedly, but I never got it to work properly. I installed Cinnamon and uninstalled Unity and all sorts of shit broke, plus it is going to be more than your average person is going to want to deal with.

If Ubuntu offered a Live CD with Cinnamon pre-configured then I think people might be more willing to take it seriously, but Unity and that shit with Amazon kind of killed their credibility for most people.

>>56018505
Lol wut? I only ever had one issue with Mint, and having a menu more similar to classic Windows than all this shit other distros, or even windows itself, pushes is one of the major selling points. The dark theme is also really nice.

>>56018512
If you absolutely have to use Ubuntu then get Neon.
>>
>>56018481
this is not your containment frogposting board, please leave
>>
>>56018099
>Does anyone use linux exclusively in command line?
Only at work.
>>
I started in debian testing and moved to fedora 24 just because. Wound up staying. /g/ shits on gnome but its the only DE I like using.
>>
I'll suggest what I suggested to other people.
Try Cub.
>>
File: linux arch recommendation.png (871KB, 650x4377px) Image search: [Google]
linux arch recommendation.png
871KB, 650x4377px
>>
>>56014629
>What is the best one
reasons why I troll...
>>
>>56016295
well meme'd
>>
File: b60.png (867KB, 950x608px) Image search: [Google]
b60.png
867KB, 950x608px
>>56015449
>cinnamon
HAHAHSHHAHA YOU CANT BE SERIOUS
How is cinnamon even a thing, I'd rather snap my cock in half than to use that crap for a day
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.