[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do any of you fine /g/entoomen have experience with surveillance

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

Do any of you fine /g/entoomen have experience with surveillance cameras?
My grandfather is in his 80s and I want to install several cameras around the house so we can monitor him.
I have no idea where to start, what are good bang for buck cameras, whether the cheap chink cameras are good enough, what software I should use etc.
Any tutorials and resources are welcome, thanks.
>>
>>56009084
>Are you filming outside for criminals?
Get one that uses actual wired connections. Wireless ones can be knocked out by a simple microwave or ham radio sometimes. Get the kind that route back to a DVR that connects to a TV. Costco sometimes has good deals on these

>Cameras around the house

You can potentially go wireless on these then, but you'll need a good WLAN network to suppor them. IP cameras are your best bet as they can just be accessed locally Via web browser by typing in the IP. If your in the same house, just have it connect via local IP (10.0.0.x or 192.168.1.x) into your browser, and boom, you got a video feed.

If your on another network or a different house, you could either use a VPN service to "be in your gramps house" and use the same method to access them as if you were there. But some IP cams come it the option to be hosted and supported via the web, if you do this though, they can be expensive, and I DO VERY MUCH RECOMMEND YOU ADD A PASSWORD TO THEM IF YOU ARE HOSTING THEM OVER THE WEB so that way /b/ fags cant spy on your pepaw.
>>
>>56009155
I'm in easter europe, the criminals I'm worried about are gypsies trying to scam or rob him, which happens at least once a year.
I doubt they are smart enough to be jamming wifi cameras.

What I was thinking is 3-4 wifi cameras, a decent router, a PC and either record on local storage on the PC, or better over the internet on another computer.
Because if gypsies rob him they are sure to steal the computer.
>>
>>56009213
Then I suggest the IP cam method. Some might come with recording/archiving software
>>
>>56009155
This is good advice. I personally prefer to wire everything but I can appreciate that it might not be feasible for your situation. I would also consider a camera with a decent mic for the front door if you're worried about door-to-door scammers, but that's just me.
>>
Annke cameras are good. Don't get chinese shit. Also make them wired and airgapped. Install up high, make sure they have infrared night vision.

Enjoy crawling through the ceiling drilling holes.
>>
>>56009084
Someone recommended camera systems from these guys a few years ago.
https://www.ubnt.com/

I have no experience with them nor know anything about them. I also don't know anything about Europe's customs but I do know a bit about owning cheap surveillance cameras. I bought a cheap system for 300-400$ not from link related. Everything that comes with surveillance cameras is pretty self explanatory as in they all or atleast most do and have the same thing. Like hooking up a DVR with a really long ass cord. The only thing you should worry about are:

1) Hard drives that come with the DVR. The cheap surveillance cameras I bought came with a HDD that wasn't built for being on for long periods, it was a 1 or 2TB Westen Digital Green and it died in under 2 years. You'll definitely want to check or replace the HDD with one that's actually bult for surveillance cameras(ex. WD Purple) that comes with your DVR.

2) Be sure to change the default password for your cameras for obvious reasons.

And if you really want to get autistic with it, for outdoor cameras.

3) Never go for cameras that stick out. Cameras that stick out make yourself a huge target and makes them super easy to avoid. Try to get a good size or color(or paint them if you must) that blends in with it's surroundings and be discreet.

4) Cover all blind spots. If there is any spot around the outside of your house where you can stand and not be seen by neighbors, those are the best spots to have them.

Everything else mentioned in this thread is spot on.

>>56012104
>Enjoy crawling through the ceiling drilling holes.
Fucking this so much.
>>
>>56009084
Foscam or their successor Amcrest are solid IP units that work well, but they may be outside your price range. Avoid knockoff Foscam shit, if only because the housing isn't nearly as resistant to abuse.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.