[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here work in a computational chemistry or physics environment?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

Anyone here work in a computational chemistry or physics environment?

I have recently started in one and I come from much more of a physical science background than compsci so I'm new to /g/ things. I have been learning python to do small tasks but obviously that is quite slow for doing the actual calculations I need to do. What language do you guys recommend for doing very large calculations? For reference, the stuff my professor does sometimes takes around 30 hours of computer time. It's mostly molecular dynamics using GPUs.

I've asked some people in my department. The old people say "I say fortran, and the young people will say fortran is too hard to write and they'll tell you C". And then the young people say "I say C, and the old people think Fortran is actually better even though it isn't faster and it's harder to write with". In the lab we mostly use centOS for developing and running our codes and windows for everything else.
>>
Grad student in CFD lab here. C++ is the standard, Fortran if you have vivid memories of the Great Depression.
>>
Physics fag here. Been doing some research in computational cosmology. Used Fortran and sometimes C. Other fags in Molecular dynamics used Fortran as well as quantum espresso.
>>
>>55979324
what kind of calculations are we talking about?
>>
>>55979324
Matlab or programs similar to it like maple are used heavily within the scientific community. I had am internship with nasa and we used it religiously during the whole thing. it may take a bit getting used to as well as some time researching what all you can do with it but it's a great tool for calculations, generating 2d and 3d graphical representations of calculations.
>>
>>55979674

A lot of q-chem things. DFT, various forms of FOMO, post Hartree Fock, etc
>>
>>55979934
>FOMO
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.