[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If my motherboard says it has "dual channel architecture"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: computer-ram.jpg (51KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
computer-ram.jpg
51KB, 600x400px
If my motherboard says it has "dual channel architecture" and i plug in 4 sticks will it still work? it has place for four. i already have 2x2 and want to add another 2x2. I know it maybe stupid question but please help me.
>>
Yes it will work. You will have two pairs of ram using dual channel
>>
>>55979267
thanks you my friend. one more question if you would be so kind. if my motherboard says 1066/1333/2000(OC) does it mean i have to somehow unlock 2000?
>>
>>55979326
I believe that the if the RAM is capable of running faster than the mobo supports, the RAM will clock down run at whatever the max speed the mobo can support. (assuming it is compatible RAM)

I am not 100% sure on this but I believe that this is how it works.
>>
>>55979364
but if i get 2000Mhz ram will the 2000(OC) activate? or is it active always? if it is that why does it has special (OC) next to it?
>>
>>55979425
I would expect that it will work if the motherboard supports 2000 mhz. If it doesn't, it'll run at whatever the max speed it can support. (ex. 1600mhz)

I don't expect that you would notice much of a difference between those two speeds anyway.
>>
>>55979425
It may or may not work depending on luck basically, just like everything. Some CPUs overclock to 4.5Ghz easily, others barely manage 4.3; some sticks of RAM may reach 2000Mhz, but others may not. What the (OC) designation means is that if the stars do align, then it will work.
>>
OP here. one more question. can i mix different brands of ram? the 2x2 ram i currently have isnt avaible to me so can i use different brand but with the same specifications (ddr3 1333Mhz CL7). will the be compatible?
>>
>>55979762
fix that. CL9. can i mix cl7 with cl9?
>>
>>55979778
>>>55979762
>fix that. CL9. can i mix cl7 with cl9?

It depends on the memory controller. It looks as if you have a Intel Processor, which case -> this will kill you ... have a great laugh.../

The memory controller is on the processor AND... It will dual channel diffrent sized ram..

I tried it out... I put in a 512Mb, 1Gb, 2B, and a 4GB, and it reported that I had 7.5GB of ram, dual channel.

You can mix CL, ( CASS Latency, or Column Select Latency 9 with CAS 7, but if the motherboard bios reads the SPIDS ( specific device identifiers ), it will run the CAS 7 at CAS 9. I would put the fastest memory first and the slowest memory last, and then test the memory speeds across the whole ram.

You are going to have to test it, as it depeds on both your motherboard bios ( which you did not mention ) and the processor ( which you did not mention )
>>
>>55979778
I have no idea of CL7 and CL9, but I successfully use two different RAM brabds (Size and speed should be equal though)
>>
>>55979909
>You are going to have to test it, as it depeds on both your motherboard bios ( which you did not mention ) and the processor ( which you did not mention )

MB - Asus M4A89GTD
CPU - AMD Phenom II x4 965
RAM - Kingston HyperX Genesis DDR3 2x2048MB 1333Mhz

RAM i want to add - Corsair DDR3 2x2048MB 1333Mhz CL9
>>
>>55979233
>1066/1333/2000(OC)
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265732-29-dual-channel-ddr3-2000-1333-1066-support
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.