[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>2 months ago >open up my vaio to change thermal paste

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

>2 months ago
>open up my vaio to change thermal paste since the fan kicks in on the slightest load like YouTube
>old paste was a dried solid block
>scrape it off with a knife
>accidentally scratch the copper pressing directly against the cpu
>freak out, apply new thermal paste and close it
>runs even hotter than it used to

Will a copper shim help reduce temps?
What can in do? CPU goes over 80 degrees while word processing/web browsing.
>>
>>55971416
you are too stupid to be trusted to do anything with electronics.

go back to using macs you fucking pleb.
>>
>>55971448
Cheers cunt
>>
>>55971416
More than likely you just put on too much thermal paste. A common mistake.

Thermal paste is just there to help fill in the gaps, not to act as a cushion or insulation/buffer. Without thermal paste, the heatsink would make contact on just a few points and just air filling the rest, causing uneven heat distribution. Thermal paste is meant to fill in the gaps that would otherwise be filled by air.

If you scratched the copper surface, don't worry. The heatsink can make full metal contact with any part of the copper heat spreader without problems. Just make sure there isn't too much thermal paste, but enough that there won't be bubbles or not widely enough spread.
>>
>>55971448
this
>>
>>55971492
Thanks.

I'll open it up and try again.

But copper shims won't help at all?
I have a friend who told me to use them
>>
>>55971535
It likely won't make any appreciable difference.

1. It may cause temps to be warmer due to more thermal layers before heat is distributed

2. Depending on airflow and plate size, etc... may lower temps by just a bit, but only if your heatsink is really shitty and your case has really good airflow (in which case why would you have a shitty heatsink and why would it make that much of a difference to you?)
>>
>>55971592
Well it's a laptop and he said it'll add more metal to the overall cooling and be like a small heatsink extension leaving more metal to air contact for the heat to be removed.

Kinda questionable though, which is why I thought I'd ask here
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.