[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's an alternative to Javascript? Apparently it's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 8

File: costanzapaper.jpg (661KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
costanzapaper.jpg
661KB, 2000x2000px
What's an alternative to Javascript? Apparently it's shit.

> inb4 php
> inb4 flash
>>
TypeScript :^)
>>
Pic unrelated it was just the first SFW image on my hard drive.
>>
ruby on rails
>>
What are you trying to accomplish m8. Start there.
>>
>>55964683

Coffescript
>>
>>55964683
scala
>>
>>55964683
For what it does, JavaScript is pretty nice. The reason it's so disliked around here is mainly the associated user group, the same as with most stuff that is religiously disliked on /g/. The alternatives suffer from similar if not worse problems.
>>
>>55964722
>>55964722
this.

pointless language dickwaving contest otherwise
>>
.NET CORE

it's the future.
>>
>>55964683
JavaScript is the only client-side scripting language with widespread adoption. If you wanna do it on the frontend, you gotta use it in some way, shape or form.
php and the like are backend languages that run on the server, I guess you could just code AJAX requests out the ass in the webpage proper and do all the computing on the backend, but this will rape your server(s), it's sometimes beter to upload some computing on the user's machine.
If you really don't like JavaScript, learn some shit that transpiles to it, or better, write your own transpiler and after it works like shit stop being a little bitch and learn the fucking language. Yes, it's garbage, whoop de doo, we sure haven't heard that hot opinion before. It's garbage in a predictible way. At the very worst you'll have to have some references nearby.
Finally, there IS a simpler way: just don't.
>>
Would a website written entirely in WebGL be faster?
>>
>>55964909
It's not garbage. It's beautiful.
>>
File: 1454157284878.png (316KB, 425x450px) Image search: [Google]
1454157284878.png
316KB, 425x450px
>>55964683
There is none. Javascript is one of the 3 language specifications standardized across all browsers, the others being HTML and CSS. If you want your site to run on every browser, you use Javascript. Unfortunately. VERY unfortunately. Because, you know, it was literally designed in less than a week and it fucking shows.

If you are asking about JavaScript for anything else but in browser scripting (which doesn't appear to be the case, thank god), you prolly should just end your life right now.
>>
File: (17KB, 248x319px) Image search: [Google]
17KB, 248x319px
>>55964934
If you're coming from EmojiScript is it
>>
>>55964683
- Typescript
- Dart
- Coffeescript
- Elm
>>
>>55964962
this syntax is more of ruby you sneaky bastard
>>
File: 1408731633075.jpg (66KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1408731633075.jpg
66KB, 800x600px
Not OP. Do any anons have exerience with writing Ecmascript 6 and transpiling to js? Do the extra features make it more palatable?
>>
>>55964683
How is php an alternative to a client side scripting language?

There is no alternative in the client side. It's not as bad as /g/ has led you to believe. The problem is that "web devs" slap on every library imaginable and think that jquery is a separate language. They don't believe that most of the rendering and data compilation should be done server side because they don't understand backend development.
>>
>>55965012
You got me anon, the shit runs on top of the Ruby VM. Here, have a deserved (You)
>>
>>55964683
>Apparently it's shit.
It's actually one of the best languages out there. I now work in c++, and I have worked in java, c, python, and c#, but out of all of those, I'd prefer JavaScript.
>>
>>55964857
>JavaScript is pretty nice
JavaScript is objectively a poorly designed language, if design even factored into it.

You can say the same about PHP, Bash and English though. They're incredibly useful and successful, but that doesn't mean the languages themselves are good.

I wish Mozilla had gone ahead integrating scheme. Someone should write alternate history fiction about that.
>>
>>55965034
Holy shit, /g/ shills actually believe this crap?
>>
File: .png (322KB, 6216x418px) Image search: [Google]
.png
322KB, 6216x418px
>>55964962
also here's a better solution
>>
>>55965034
This. As long as your "boilerplate" doesn't npm in 600 (I wish I was kidding) 5-line-each dependencies, it's not really that bad.

Does anyone else remember when some dev got pooper-pained and removed a left-pad script from his repo that subsequently brought all server-side JS development to a halt?

http://www.haneycodes.net/npm-left-pad-have-we-forgotten-how-to-program/
>>
>>55965095
Nice. I wish leenux had a terminal that supported color emoji :^(
>>
>>55965092
(You)
>>
File: 1e8LA.jpg (52KB, 559x453px) Image search: [Google]
1e8LA.jpg
52KB, 559x453px
>>55965063
You have no understanding of how computers really work, do you?
>>
>>55965123
that's not a terminal you dip
>>
>>55965063
same. No one understands its beauty :-/
>>
>>55965031
Isn't that what Babel is for?
>>
>>55965148
I know, friend. I wanted a terminal because then I can still use muh vim, apart from the gecko-based shit firefiox, thundershit, etc. nothing has color-emoji support on leenux
>>
>>55965147
Why would you make that claim?
>>
File: 1466575316223.jpg (33KB, 604x604px) Image search: [Google]
1466575316223.jpg
33KB, 604x604px
>tfw browsers can't run clientside bytecode of any langauge
asm.js is literally just bytecode compiled to hacky javascript
>>
File: wallpaper.jpg (1MB, 6000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
wallpaper.jpg
1MB, 6000x4000px
>>55964683
>> inb4 php
Has anyone ever said this? Back-end programming languages are not an alternative to front-end languages. On another note, PHP isn't a real programming language. It's just a convoluted templating engine.

There is no real alternative to JavaScript, unless you want the end-user to have to install some stupid fucking plugin to use your website.

>>55965078
It was made to be easy for C programmers to transfer over into, so obviously it's going to be intentionally bad. Now that a lot of JS programmers are coming in from Ruby and Python though, they're removing some of the useless garbage, like semicolons.

>You can say the same about [Perl's even worse little brother, Awk's even worse little brother] and English though.
No, English is not poorly designed. It evolved over time and nearly perfectly fits every single use case. Stop pretending like you know about linguistics on the internet, you contrarian little faggot.

If you're talking about that obscure SQL clone, then you're just being autistic and tangential.

>>55965123
It does though.
>>
>>55965294
>nearly perfectly fits every single use case
Fucking monolingual faggot
>>
>>55965294
> It does though.
enlighten me anon
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.