[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is it bad to keep APPDATA on SSDs? I understand why it's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: 1470573008981.png (74KB, 340x230px) Image search: [Google]
1470573008981.png
74KB, 340x230px
Why is it bad to keep APPDATA on SSDs? I understand why it's a good thing to disable hibernation and putting the pagefile on a hard drive but why APPDATA?
>>
>>55962643
For the same reason you don't put hibernation and pagefile in a SSD.

Files in APPDATA are writen and rewriten over and over again by the programs. Some use it just to store user configs but browsers use it to cache webpages.
>>
You got to be shitting me!

Appdata on a separate hd and not on a ssd?
Am I supposed to keep the swp partition and the /tmp on an hdd too?

And what about computers with only one ssd like laptops?
Are they ticking time bombs?

Where are you getting these 'facts'?
They seem like fud to me because I know many MacBooks with ssd that work as advertised for years without data loss.
>>
>>55962643
It doesn't matter anymore. SSD lifetime issues are of no concern to desktop users.
>>
>>55962643
It's not enough significant.
Forget about it.
>>
>>55963081
Not everyone is a good obedient goy to buy a new SSD every year
>>
File: 1460310769661.jpg (70KB, 554x554px) Image search: [Google]
1460310769661.jpg
70KB, 554x554px
It's autism.

Swap is a good idea to put on another partition though because it's a one and done type of deal whereas everything else is a pain in the ass.

It's all a meme though. I've had app data on mine for three years and it is still perfectly healthy.
>>
>>55962643
I'm gonna be converting to full SSD soon

Its not expensive anymore
>>
>>55962643
>putting the pagefile on a hard drive
Don't do this.
Might as well not get an ssd
>>
>>55962643
SSDs don't have write limits any more, you got memed on
>>
>>55963555

No, they've just gotten better at reducing it.
>>
File: 12423132.jpg (27KB, 324x278px) Image search: [Google]
12423132.jpg
27KB, 324x278px
>he has a page file
>>
>>55963544
You need to state a valid reason for why it's not good to keep it on the hard drive
>>
>>55963603
Well, speed, for one thing
Swapping pages from an SSD to memory compared to swapping from HDD to memory is like ~10x faster
Obviously it does wear down the SSD, so if you are concerned about that then don't do it
>>
>>55963644
You literally never use the page file unless you have <8 gigs of ram
>>
>>55962643
Don't worry about it. That's just a bunch of old farts who're stuck in the past talking shit.
>>
>>55962643

I love Twilight Sparkle!
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.