[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/G/-Torrent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 8

File: gtorrent.png (4KB, 304x265px) Image search: [Google]
gtorrent.png
4KB, 304x265px
Since all the major torrent sites are shutting down right now and there's no good KAT alternative, why doesn't /g/ get together and make a KAT alternative.

If KAT's earnings are anything to go by, it could be quite profitable in the long run.
>>
>>>/t/
>>
newfag
>>
Why should i give a fuck when i can use search plugins with qbit?
>>
I love the logo
>>
>>55953509
Thank you, its just a work in progress, but I spent quite a few days perfecting every minor detail.

>>55953483
implying the search plugins have a KAT like games/TV Show search function.
>>
>>55953379
How? Honest question.
>>
I used thepiratebay.org before KAT was around and I'm still using it now.

Zero fucks given about KAT.
>>
>>55955259
This.

Protip: Use Torrtux https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lbLxx9Vlq8
>>
>>55955098
I mean hosting-wise its not a problem. I have experience running extremely high-bandwidth decently sized websites in the past, but I have zero experience with bittorrent or whatever process KAT and others used to grab and list torrent files from other services, etc so this is not something that I could achieve alone. So if anyone is up for trying to do something like this, then I would be more than up to fund it, promote it, etc.
>>55955259
I used piratebay until I discovered KAT, and ever since I have just never bothered to go back due to TPB not having 1/5th of the amazing features KAT had.
>>
File: op_suckin_dick.gif (996KB, 150x148px) Image search: [Google]
op_suckin_dick.gif
996KB, 150x148px
Why don't you just pay it?
>>
>>55957016
I like the idea of a community project, and I don't really know a single dev that would be competent enough to finish an entire project of this scale alone.
>>
File: ZeroNet.png (58KB, 495x376px) Image search: [Google]
ZeroNet.png
58KB, 495x376px
>>55953379
>>
>>55957245
you do realize zeronet is the definition of a meme. if it isn't on the clearnet, it isn't good. also cant expect to build a community if your site is literally behind a malwarewall.
>>
>>55953379
>>55955098
>>55956852
>>55957215
Resources:
>Local torrent indexer
https://github.com/sergiotapia/magnetissimo
>Tracker web framework
https://github.com/WhatCD/Gazelle
>Torrent tracker
https://github.com/WhatCD/Ocelot

Hop to it /g/
>>
File: 1469499908762.jpg (35KB, 572x380px) Image search: [Google]
1469499908762.jpg
35KB, 572x380px
>>55953483

Side note, my sidebar doesn't work. I searched a bunch of random shit and only two abstract things came up one time.

Did you have to configure it or what?
>>
>>55953379
cmon lads, let's do it, I'll do the logo.
>>
>>55957646
You'll bone the logo?
>>
>>55957566
well, OP already did the logo, we're finished here.
>>
Someone needs to do a KAT-like clone on zeronet.
>>
I can setup a chatroom if this is a little slow.

>>55957904
dude fuck zeronet get the fuck out of my thread with your bullshit. zeronet is some wannabe tor barely functional bullshit. not good if you want to grow a community or userbase.
>>
>>55957928
>dude fuck zeronet get the fuck out of my thread with your bullshit. zeronet is some wannabe tor barely functional bullshit. not good if you want to grow a community or userbase.
Source?
>>
Anyone wanna recommend a semi bulletproof extension that isn't ran by the US?

>>55957967
It's unnecessary bloatware, and if you want to grow a userbase you want your site to be accessible by your grandma. Also, I dont like the loading thing.
>>
>>55957985
So your source is your opinion, ok then.
>>
>>55958006
Source for what?
>It's unnecessary bloatware, and if you want to grow a userbase you want your site to be accessible [non neckbear weeaboos]
>>
>>55958018
>your site to be accessible by your grandma
So you want your site hosted on a public site that can easily be taken down? just like all these other sites that have been taken down?
>>
>>55958107
How else do you expect to get users? KAT was popular because of two things. Good sorting, and easy accessibility. Switching around domains every 2 years won't hurt the site, and we can make steps to ensure the operators won't have to worry about getting fined/arrested.
>>
Since this thread is starting to go a little slow, if you would like to contribute to the project or ask any questions Ill be more or less on the below chat for a couple hours and most of tomorrow.

https://memestudy.science/
Its a shitty ajax-based chatware called sock chat, but it works so if anyone would like to use something else feel free to share.
>>
OP here.
Looked at the resources listed here >>55957566
and it seems like the magnetissimo project (at least the bot) is pretty good for what we're trying to achieve. If we add a option for users to upload their own torrents while also grabbing "13000 torrents per minute" we'll be pretty close to KATs library in a few days. Without having looked at the source I also don't think TV show listing should be too hard to implement as long as someone else handles the IMDB integration.

Will start another thread tomorrow with a little more detail, but in case anyone would like a input on what we're going to call it, please reply, and if not Ill just buy some temporary domain name like gtorrents.com or some shit, then we can decide on it in the next thread.
>>
>>55958400
Not him but username for magnetissimo dev on reddit is randomelixirdevdude, just fyi
>>
>>55958130
>we
>>
>>55958400
Call it Gentoorrents
>>
File: MorrasUndCarrosdelao.png (1MB, 1200x1725px) Image search: [Google]
MorrasUndCarrosdelao.png
1MB, 1200x1725px
/mu/ already tried doing this, it failed miserably like everything else post-chanology 4chan has tried to do.
>>
>>55958586
As I said, I enjoy the idea of a community project. I don't necessarily want to run it, but someone needs to actually start on the project.

>>55958510
PMed him about licensing and whether its worth even starting on adding on to his code or if we should just borrow code from his bot and write our own site from scratch.

>>55958606
kek maybe
>>
>>55958618
I mean, I'm more or less capable of doing this myself if it fails, but I don't really want to run it in the long run, and as I've said before I enjoy community projects. And we're not /mu/
>>
>>55957566
>>55958619
Gonna dump p2pspider as well then:
https://github.com/IceManNCSU/p2pspider
>>
>>55958634
What would be server requirements for this to run efficiently?
>>
>>55958651
>Dunno, kek.
Just linking projects I thought might be useful from reddit. Try contacting user icemanncsu
>>
Hey guys, I'm the author of Magnetissimo. If any of ya'll are interested in writing a parser for a specific site, please check out the `/lib/parsers` folder for an example.

There are so many sites out there, I need all the help I can get.
>>
>>55958744
Damn we got royalty up in this bitch.

I need sleep so I'm off for now. If thread is dead by tomorrow, I'll try and make a more organized/informative thread so we have a better chance of this project not failing horribly.
>>
Annnddd archived: https://archive.is/7zYQ2
A new KAT from 4chan could be interesting.

>Good luck /g/entoomen
>>
>>55957261
>malwarewall

What?
>>
>>55958886
its like a paywall, but made out of useless software noone who doesn't have a bmi of over whatever the normal one is and wears a trenchcoat would install.
>>
>>55953379
You mean make another tracker? The one that was made for /g/ did not even have any content. You could contact BF and tell him to start it back up.
http://gtracker.installgentoo.com/
>>
>>55958937
not tracker, but a KAT alternative with all of the features KAT had, minus some of the social stuff.
>>
>>55958947
No one in their right minds would start this shit. Every 4chan project has failed. The only semi successful project has been Tox. Even then there was sketchy shit going on with the donations and it still has major bugs.
>>
>>55958962
yeah yeah go jerk off alone like you always do.
>>
>>55953379
>why doesn't /g/ get together and make a KAT alternative.

hahahahahahhahhaah
>>
>>55959034
see
>>55959033
>>
>>55959045
Stop being a fucking retard and asking /g/ to make everything you want. Just use an existing torrent site and get over it you idiot.

Also if you are not using private trackers, you are retarded.
>>
I have an idea of making a decentralized system for sharing torrent files.
It basically comes down to signing torrent files with the public key of the server it is uploaded to. Mirrors are able to copy the torrent files while keeping the signature. So if the origin dies, the mirror can serve the torrent files. The user is still able to verify the torrent file by checking the signature.

Example:
User A uploads the torrent file of Kyary's latest album to what.cd. The torrent file is signed with the public key of what.cd. Eventually mirrors pick up the torrent file and keep the signature of it. Oh noes, what.cd is taken down. No problem, now the mirrors can serve the torrent files. The user is still able to trust the torrent files, because they are signed with the public key of what.cd
>>
>>55960201
Do you know what a tracker is? Take down the WCD tracker and the .torrent files are useless because DHT is disabled on private trackers.
>>
>>55960366
Yeah, what.cd is a bad example. It works for public torrents though.
>>
>>55960394
And a stupid idea period, because what does "trust a torrent" mean? It has no meaning whatsoever.
>>
What was the name of that gimp fork /g/ planned? And what of tox? /g/ is for lo/g/os only
>>
>>55960424
You'll be able to verify the origin of the torrent file.
>>
>>55960431
And?
>>
>>55960452
So you can assume the torrent has no malware because you know the origin.
>>
>>55960484
What?
>>
>>55960201
>>55960431
>>55960484
Instead of signing each individual torrent file you could do something like:
1. Public key available on site
2. Site periodically releases a giant, compressed archive of its torrents/magnet links
3. Have that archive be signed with the site's private key
4. Potential mirrors can auto-snatch and verify those backup archives using the public key
>>
It could also be quite jail too.
>>
So how a torrent site works? like piratebay and others? just like a regular webiste?
>>
>>55960598
I was thinking about that too. It's much more efficient. But how do you know the torrent file has not been tampered with?
>>
>>55960615
>But how do you know the torrent file has not been tampered with?
Not sure sure exactly. Maybe include in the archive a table of hashes of the torrent files? So for instance you can grab a torrent from some sketchy site, the just compare its hash to the ones in the table which you already know hasn't been tampered with.
>>
It's up to IPFS to save us all.
>>
>>55960683
That actually sounds plausible, assuming the hash table is available from the source.
>>
>>55960683
>>55960744
That can actually even be a separate release. Sign a table of the hashes of all the torrents on your site. Go to download a torrent file, compare it against hashes, done.
>>
>>55953379
>2016
>torrents

WTF guys
>>
>>55953379
>If KAT's earnings are anything to go by, it could be quite profitable in the long run
That's how you go to jail
>>
>>55960749
>>55960744
>>55960683
>>55960615
What are you retards even talking about? Do you have a clue what torrents even are?
>>
>>55960792
Enlighten us, Einstein.
>>
how does usenet works?
and why nobody shut it down?
>>
>>55960869
They DMCA the fuck out of usenet and shut down lots of Usenet services. The reason it still works is because Usenet is still a way to do legit discussion online.
>>
>>55960804
So the answer is, "No." Good, now shut up about archiving a million dead torrents and how to verify that the million dead torrents you have are somehow someone's "original" million dead torrents.
>>
>>55960889
Great argument.
>>
>>55960906
>hey guis how do I verify this thing that had no security in the first place?
>>
File: beach.png (180KB, 461x426px) Image search: [Google]
beach.png
180KB, 461x426px
would anybody pay for legal torrents?
torrents from bands, flac music
quality movie rips with extras, commentary files in separate files etc
basically itunes but with TPB style
they could be even cheaper, solved storage problems
>>
We already made a tracker before and it was retarded
>>
we should make "wikileaks" tracker without hollywood bs
less problems
>>
>>55960932
>no security in the first place
Any decent site like KAT had ratings, comments, and verified uploaders. Bad or malicious torrents were reported and removed. Private trackers have extremely high security.
>>
>>55961010
>he doesn't know how private trackers work
>he thinks public trackers have security
Back to /b/ with you.
>>
>>55961033
>he doesn't know how private trackers work
>he doesn't know how public trackers become popular
>>
/g/ already has a torrent site though.
>>
you should make the site accessible through Tor only to add some obscurity and to get less attention
>>
>>55960761
Is there any better decentralized sharing system?
>>
>>55957603
View>Search Engine>type whatever you want>pick a good torrent>viola
>>
>>55961332
If you think /g/ is going to make another tracker, you are retarded.
>>
File: 1405647043962.gif (3MB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1405647043962.gif
3MB, 400x400px
Do we need logos?
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.