[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm looking at this game and feel so sad I will probably

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: vYVZabrC5BZb5tbEJNGfuU-1200-80.jpg (122KB, 1125x637px) Image search: [Google]
vYVZabrC5BZb5tbEJNGfuU-1200-80.jpg
122KB, 1125x637px
I'm looking at this game and feel so sad I will probably never be able to make some great algorithm like this, all because I don't have a degree in CS.

Is it possible to learn important parts of CS by yourself and actually be able to create something innovative? I've realized average jobs in software and web development are pretty boring and now I'd like to learn more academic things and make some cool shit.

I'm in a barely related degree, I've only had basic first year CS courses and high school level math and physics so I don't want to count that, while coding classes were focused on web development. Just saying because I'm not completely clueless but I'm missing a lot of knowledge.
>>
>>55946974
>actually be able to create something innovative?
You can't be thought to have creative ideas, you have to come up with them yourself.
>>
>>55946974
>I'm not completely clueless
I disagree Anon.

There is nothing stopping you from learning.

Why are you on an anime imageboard writing blogs about "is it possible to learn stuff?".

Maybe someone will have a more positive post to share with you. I just think your post was incredibly pointless. If there is some topic you want to learn about, then learn it. If you want to have a degree in CS, then get a degree. If you want a pep talk, then there are probably better places for that than /g/ (or 4chan).

Good luck.
>>
The info is out there, anon. This is the motherfucking internet. Why can't you learn this stuff on your own without having to shell out for a comp sci degree?

The only things you need are research, a plan and dedication.
>>
>>55946974
Just read some procedurally generated books and teach yourself
>>
>>55946974
You can learn everything you need to know from the internet if you spend enough time.
>>
>>55947070
The thing about open ended education is "how much is enough to get to Foo" where Foo in this case is the education to develop a game described by the OP. You may get a general outline about various smaller principles about what will lead to that goal but there is normally nothing that teaches untrained beginners on how to apply those ideas into a practical application and combine those practical applications into an overaching application. Yes, the information technically exists but that information is wide, dense, not immediately interrelated and takes significant time to go through.
>>
>>55947164
I disagree strongly, you can go through a Uni degree and not learn how to apply your knowledge in any meaningful way. It's very common desu. They only teach you segmented skillsets, not how to stick to, and plan a large project, avoiding obstacles and using clever techniques to solve one of case problems.

Making something great is hard. That's why it's amazing, that's why it has value. If you want to make something good then expect to fail at first. But don't make out like there is something stopping you, its hard no matter what your education or intelligence or whatever.

It only gets easier with experience
>>
>>55947509
I don't know what you think you're supposed to learn in university but I can tell you this, university isn't a vocational school. You should go to university to learn how to work a job. You should go to university to get introduced to fundamental principles that allow you to study deeper on more specialized principles.
>>
>>55947570
It doesn't really matter WHY you go to university for my argument. It's just about the minimum standard of education you can receive. You can go through university and get high marks but not have a fucking clue what all of it means. That's the way the curriculum is structured. There are few subjects in an undergraduate degree that require knowledge synthesis and creative problem solving. Few subjects that test that deep learning without providing opportunities for students to shortcut around the massive effort of building a conceptual framework for the things you study.

My point is, a student with little personal passion for their field can acquire a degree without the soft skills associated with it. So Uni doesn't actually have any inherent effect on your problem solving. The student must go on their own parallel learning experience (above and beyond) to transition from a call and response based learning framework to an analytical method.
>>
>>55947639
>My point is, a student with little personal passion for their field can acquire a degree without the soft skills associated with it.
I agree it's possible. My opinion on likelyhood of people actually completing a full-time three year degree by themselves (no encouragement from some mentor who's able to guide the progress) within a time span of up to three years: not probable.
>>
Kek, NMS is garbage tier as far as the procedural generation goes. You don't need a fucking degree in CompSci for this kind of bullshit. The dev of Dwarf Fortress has a math PhD which is a hundred times more useful.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.