[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A monad is a monoid in the category of endofunctors, what's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: monad-assoc-law.png (23KB, 400x326px) Image search: [Google]
monad-assoc-law.png
23KB, 400x326px
A monad is a monoid in the category of endofunctors, what's the problem?

Only a retard wouldn't understand this.
>>
Simple mang. Get back to me when you can divide by 0
>>
>>55946768
what does this diagram mean?
>>
>>55946924
Associativity of monads i.e. if you're nesting monads, it doesn't matter which order you calculate them in
>>
>>55946768
You're on a board where half of the people are too retarded to understand pointers
>>
Is that set theory? Or maybe graph theory? I'm doing more applied math so I probably got this wrong
>>
>>55946768
can you give examples of other monoids?
>>
>>55947375
Category Theory

Don't bother with it unless you want to go really in depth into functional programming.
>>
>>55947392
pic related

Although that line in the OP is mostly for the lulz. Everybody learns monoids first in a set theoretical context (where you have a -set- of things that can be connected with an operation, like the ones in the pic or also lists, for example), while the way to encode a monoid in a cateogry is somewhat abstract.

And e.g. saying a natural transformation is just an arrow in a category of functors is technically true, but such a high level way of expressing the notion, you don't learn what a natural transformation is form hearing that phrase.
>>
i don't know what a monad is
i don't know what a monoid is
i don't know what an endofunctor is
>>
>>55946768
please stop
>>
>>55947745
That claim raises some epistemological concerns.

Let's consider
>A hatted man is man who wears a hat
You say
>I don't know what a hatted man is
>I don't know what a man is
>I don't know what a hat is

I'm not sure if the first proposition is false, but it any case it appear redundant.
>>
>>55946768
So easy I won't waste our time here. Spam.
>>
File: 1418486965424.jpg (54KB, 479x498px) Image search: [Google]
1418486965424.jpg
54KB, 479x498px
>monads
>not symmetric semimonoidal co-Kleisli left-adjoint 2-comonads
>>
>>55947313
No, most here don't take this website seriously to waste time giving thoughtful answers. And why should they?
>>
>>55947816
>not \infty-comonads
>>
>>55946924
>>55946982
Or more concretely, in Haskell join.join will always give the same result as fmap join

Example for the list monad: both expressions take a list of lists of lists and return a single flattened list of all elements of the top-level lists.

One expression concatenates at top level first and the other one at bottom level first, but the result is the same.
>>
>>55947745
>monoid
Have you done like no math courses past HS? This is abstract algebra 101.
>>
>>55948272
shut up nerd
>>
Learning monads is easily the biggest epiphany I've had as a programmer
>>
>>55948439
s-stop b-b-b-being e-e-ed-educated
>>
>>55948465
shut up nerd
>>
>>55946768
Can someone explain me what a Monad or an IO is?
>>
>>55948498
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Haskell/Category_theory
>>
>>55948513
So this is what autism looks like.
>>
>>55948513
Thanks, that is interesting. I always liked the way functions in Haskell are defined, just like in mathematics.
>>
/g/ doesn't even understand how to average 2 ints in C
>>
>>55946768
A monad is just a lax 2-functor from the terminal bicategory

What the fuck is supposed to be so difficult about this?
>>
>>55949297
Tell me Rajesh, what is the difficult here? How do I make it so I understand?
>>
>>55949450
You do the into readings of the theory of categories
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.