[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My Mac is 6 years old and with modern OS X versions it's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 650_1200.jpg (31KB, 650x400px) Image search: [Google]
650_1200.jpg
31KB, 650x400px
My Mac is 6 years old and with modern OS X versions it's starting to show its age: sometimes programs take longer to open that they should, sometimes switching between applications takes a second or two (probably because my Core 2 Duo can't handle compressed memory as well as newer CPUs), the main OS X IDE, Xcode, is almost unusable with any project bigger than a Hello World, etc.

Given that I recently started working as a .NET developer and I'm learning lots of things at work I could apply to my personal projects if I used .NET and Visual Studio, I've been thinking of completely replacing OS X with Windows 7, which performs pretty well on this machine (not surprising given that W7 was released in 2009) and unlike older OS X versions it still has security updates for 4 more years. Any of you doing the same, running any version of Windows as your main OS on a Mac? What's your experience? Do you prefer Windows to OS X?

tl,dr; People using Windows on your Mac as your main OS, what's your experience.
>>
>>55945215
>tl,dr; People using Windows on your Mac as your main OS, what's your experience.
it sucks because windows is quite bad
>>
>>55945215

Can you downgrade to an older version of OSX?

I still run 10.7x on my 2012 MBP and its flawless.

Ive seen no reason to upgrade at all. I'd look into that 1st. I bootcamped windows 7 for a while for some legacy hardware I needed to run, and it ran perfectly. I now just have it on parallels, for the occasional task and again it is perfect.

If you need to run 7, it certainly will with ease, but you will definitely miss OSX.
>>
>>55946195
The problem with older versions of OS X is that they don't run some software I'm interested in, like Xamarin or Visual Studio Code. Although another possibility is to downgrade to an earlier version of OS X and just do my .NET development in a Windows VM. I'll look into it.
>>
>>55946260
Personally I don't think running old Mac OS X versions is sustainable

I was using 10.6 (imo the greatest Mac OS X) for many years and I loved it but due to Apple's negligence, lack of security updates, lack of backwards compatibility and general snobby attitude of mac users and devs it quickly became a pain to sustain

Using an unsupported Mac OS X is in many ways worse than using XP because there is so much software for XP, the user base is still huge and backwards compatibility is pretty good in Windows

Keep in mind that 10.7, 10.8 and (if I'm not mistaken) 10.9, which all featured the good classic grey UI before the muh-blur-muh-transparency-muh-lack-of-skeuomorphism, are just as unsupported and outdated now as 10.6 was, and the yearly, reckless update cycle of buggy macOS is destroying everything good with Mac OS X and is quickly obsoleting more hardware and rendering old OS version usupported

Maybe you should try Linux (I suggest Debian) and forget about OS X, it's really overrated
>>
>>55946562
None of this happened back when Mac OS X releases costed money. Now, using the pretext of OS X being free, everyone including devs thinks it's just a matter of clicking upgrade and your computer will be better because the OS is newer. But that's bullshit. I can't even run a Windows XP VM on El Capitan without it shitting itself, ffs. None of this happened before, even on Yosemite it performed better. I know hardware upgrades have slowed down these years but they are pushing the obsolescence too far.
>>
>>55946260

Run the oldest version your software will allow. I've yet to find anything that doesn't run on 10.7x
>>
>>55945215
Your setup sound a lot like mine. I have a mid 2010 mac book pro.

I have had it setup many ways, with the original setup tri-booting mac, windows, linux. Which was glorious, till Apple updated their firmware and broke it.

After that I switched to dual booting mac and windows, with windows being the one I use the most. That setup is good, but one thing to note is you really want to keep a copy of mac OS on there for driver support. I sucks as it basically waste ~30GB on mac OS to maintain the boot-loader and hardware drivers, but trust me when all your inputs stop working it is a very bad day and you'll wish you had it for just for recovery tools.

Now that windows 10 is a thing, I tried upgrading as I figured I would sooner or later so I may as well get it free. Well it flagged an error, Bluetooth not supported, but I never use Bluetooth so I started the install. (reminder to always make backups first)Things seemed fine till the last step when it went crazy. So I used an clean install to try and eliminate the issues. It got to the very last step, after repartitions and everything then said hardware was incompatible and shut down with what looked like some kind of boot error, makes sense given how apple heavily modified the EFI to the point it don't work with anything.

Given all of that I am tempted to just wipe it all including mac and install Ubuntu, not my favorite distro, but the divers seem to work so it "shouldn't" break it.

What makes me mad about all of this is the hardware is still good, and does pretty much everything I need. Yet the growing plague of bad software is making it die needlessly with everyone and their dog suggesting I buy a new computer.

Hope that gives you some insight.
I'll pop back here if I have time.
>>
OP here, I'm going to try:

- Latest version of Yosemite, for benchmarking purposes. I remember that while it was pretty shitty on release, it worked okay for me on 10.10.5. Also it's compatible with the software I need and has at least one more year of security updates.
- if I continue to being unhappy about performance, I might try Ubuntu MATE.
- otherwise fuck it, I'm going full Windows.
>>
>>55945215
I use ubuntu-mate on a Mac of that vintage, and have a client running win 10 on one. Both function really well, but both have SSDs. Replacing your setup with an SSD will make a load of difference, even using OSX. But yeah, if .net is where you're at, Windows would be better suited.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.