[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Code Academy a good place to learn coding? I started to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: code.png (31KB, 575x175px) Image search: [Google]
code.png
31KB, 575x175px
Is Code Academy a good place to learn coding?

I started to take the Python course because it said it was the best to start up, but couldn't finish it. I did everything they told me to do in the lessons, but I wasn't able to understeand what I was doing, rather than feeling like I was learning something I just felt like I was midnlessly following instructions.

I also tried with youtube tutorials for Java before that but found the same problem.
>>
>>55934500
No. Edx cs50 or create a project and work on it.
>>
No. It's nothing but monkey see, monkey do. You might feel like you are accomplishing something by earning their "achievements", but you aren't learning shit.

Get a fucking book. Learn to spot real world problems and solve them with coding.
>>
>>55934500
it closely mimics the experience of learning programming in college

as in "write these magic words in this magic text box and shit will happen"

some people prefer to learn like that and never give a shit what's under the hood, so I can't discourage you from giving it a shot
>>
>>55934556
Yeah but it's the same with books. They got those examples and tell you to follow and "soon you will understand" but I never do. I completed half a book on programming for one of the popular platforms and didn't learn absolutely anything.
>>
>>55934500
Use hackerrank to get into the groove of solving problems then figure out a project or two.
>>
>>55934542
I looked it up, souds pretty interesting, the idea of enrrolling on a program, even if free, makes me kinda nervous tho.

>>55934556
Could you recommend some read that I could use?

>>55934585
I guess some people can learn that way, but I think it's harder, because it becomes completely based on memorization rather than understeanding, like, I'd like to be able to do things on my own without having to look up the documentation of someone else who already solved the issue every single time. In many ways it's similar to learning a new spoken lenguage.
>>
>>55934653

Automate the Boring Stuff with Python is a pruddy good book to start with.
>>
>>55934500
In my experience, CodeAcademy is pretty shitty. They have you do tons of worthless stuff and it never really helped me (at least for JavaScript and Python). I learned a whole lot more by searching how to do stuff when a problem came up.
>>
>>55934542
>>55934500
https://prod-edx-mktg-edit.edx.org/course/introduction-computer-science-harvardx-cs50x

But I'll recommend this if you are a procastinator:
https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-computer-science-mitx-6-00-1x-8

also sicp:

http://composingprograms.com/
http://cs61a.org/
>>
>>55934500
Learn java by reading other people's code and reading the comments that explain what it does. If no comments then isolate certain parts of code and run it to understand the basics. Once you understand how it works you can learn any language because they are very similar in logic. Each language is really just different ways of saying the same thing so learn the logic then the language
>>
>>55934676
>open-source reading.

What a time to be alive.
>>
>>55934751
S-so, what does it mean by "starts in August 30" i-is it like, an optional live class that you can take with like, r-real people and stuff communicating to you?
>>
>>55934892
Pretty much
>>
Fuck codeacademy
You want to learn fast use Reimer's XNA tutorial
>>
>>55934929
>Prerequisites
High school algebra and a reasonable aptitude for mathematics.

How far can I realistically make it knowing how to add, subsctract, multiply and sort of divide? (and basic equations that only make use of these things)
>>
>>55935004
You can probably get through the whole thing without having touched algebra but its going to make 1-2 of the sessions difficult.
>>
>>55935086
The idea of a real class with real first world teachers for free it's pretty tempting, can you re-take it afterwards to get that ceritifcate thingie?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.