[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where did it go wrong? Why did they even try? How long is M

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: phone.png (3MB, 1978x3606px) Image search: [Google]
phone.png
3MB, 1978x3606px
Where did it go wrong? Why did they even try?

How long is Microsoft going to pretend their dead fetus isn't dead? Is there a chance of a resurrection?

> "We're scaling back, but we're not out!" admits Terry Myerson, Microsoft's head of Windows and devices, in an internal email.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/25/11766344/microsoft-nokia-impairment-layoffs-may-2016

>sold their feature phone business
>laid off 10,000 employees
>not out
>>
>>55928751
Wp10 and UWP are bringing some apps to it at least.

t. Lumia 640 user
>>
The Apple iPhone 6S Plus doesn't have this problem.
>>
>>55928751
First phone was Lumia 640,snappiest phone I've ever used, probably would go back in a heartbeat if alternative appstore, side loading and overall more apps were available in it.

Also gave me 30GBs of cloud storage that did their fair share in a couple of formattings I did, and will probably do so even more now that Microcuck gave me a free year of office for the whole One drive shit storm.
>>
>>55929125
Still a dead product.

None of the popular apps are available for WP.

Or if they are, they are like a half-baked feature stripped versions, because no one wants to invest their time in developing for a dead product.

If no one wants to develop for Windows Phone, there's no reason to keep it alive.
>>
>>55929587
i really like my 830 too.

although i dont really care for the apps, and winphone therefore serves me fine, for some reason it never took off. lets how UWP and that iOS porting tool will help out.
>>
they're not dead yet, soon Windows phone will be x86 and run windows 10.
>>
>>55929708
this is the only thing they can do to save it
>>
File: close enough.png (97KB, 1246x484px) Image search: [Google]
close enough.png
97KB, 1246x484px
>>55929708
If this is not dead, I don't know what is.
>>
WP10 didn't deliver.

The platform was doing well during the WP8 era, but once WP10 only introduced more of the same and the app market only managed to shrink it was over.

But I'm on an 8.1 device anyways, so I'm not exactly objective about WP10, just really frustrated that shit like 4charm got dropped.
>>
>>55928751
To be fair, WinPhone 7 was pretty good.
Lack of apps prevented mass adoption and killed it, plus low-end devices couldn't run most apps, including Skype, due to lack of RAM.

I'm still a bit bummed that Microsoft killed Nokia, they could be making sick android phones now.
>>
>>55929757
ikr almost ded

>>55929724
soon we willsee it, some telclast/chuwi tablet with atom had like 5-9 hour average use, so it possible Microsoft will release full x86 windows 10 phone.
>>
Oh and not to mention shit like Office getting more updates on other platforms than the native one.
>>
>>55929587
>>55929677
>>55929792
>>55929831

So, the common theme here is the lack of apps.

No apps -> no functionality -> dead.

Microsoft should completely close the business down, and invest in HoloLens.
>>
>>55929757
in some regions use is much more than that.
>>
>>55929877
No Apps just got progressively worse as the few devs we had backed the fuck off.
I wouldn't mind not having originals or exclusives for WP, I still enjoy using WP8.1 more than any Android as far the vanilla experience goes, but Microsoft should've really stepped the fuck up and made sure the 'big' apps were here, even if it meant throwing absurd amounts of money at the devs.
>>
>>55929935
Yeah, Steve Balmer really didn't know what he was doing. This was mostly his fuck up.

He had no idea how to bite into the market that was already dominated by Android and iOS for 2-3 years by then.
>>
Imagine if they spent all that money wasted on x86 CPU/mobile phone research

They can just port over their software lineup. They can make software/apps to fill in the gaps
>>
There's no reason for it to exist.
WP7 was a poor clone of the early iOS devices, missing multi tasking, only ran on one garbage single core SoC from qualcomm.
WP8 broke compatibility and support for previous hardware, some sort of bastard mix of iOS and Android, totally locked down but with no ecosystem and a few desperate attempts to gain android users by making it slightly more customization than iOS.
WP8.1 same shit with bug fixes
WP10 DoA.

The problem is MS is completely reactionary, they have no idea what customers want. Their product development appears to be "hey look some other guys are making money, me want customer!, copy that thing." At no point does there seem to be any consideration why anyone would want to pick the MS option, it's just assumed brute force marketing, takeovers and paid incentives to make people buy them will work.

I have no idea what goes on at MS, they blow one multi billion dollar buyout after another with nothing to show for it. They even borrowed the $20b they used for linkedin, now they pay interest on it as well. I assume they will possibly just implode in some sort of enron style collapse one day.
>>
File: wp7.jpg (103KB, 900x684px) Image search: [Google]
wp7.jpg
103KB, 900x684px
>>55930118
>WP7 was a poor clone of the early iOS devices
what

WP7 was the probably the most unique looking and functioning mobile OS
>>
>made WP7 incompatible with windows mobile 6
>limited applications to a shitty sandbox, tried to copy apple
>another "fuck you" to everyone when windows phone 8 came out
>wondered why no one wants to develop for their platform any more
>>
>>55929935
>No Apps just got progressively worse as the few devs we had backed the fuck off
Fucking this. Got a galaxy s6 as a work phone half a year ago and my lumia 930 has essentially been a dumbphone since then. I occasionally use it to browse the Internet if my s6 is out of battery.
>>
I use W10M because I like to be different and I like the UI. All the apps I use are on the store and I like the way its connected to my W10 PCs.

But I like to imagine that every program that I use on my PC will have UWP app in store and I will be able to use it on my phone or with continuum. But im just a dreamer
>>
>>55930216
>WP7 was the probably the most unique looking and functioning mobile OS
Adding a really crap UI just to be different isn't unique it's stupid. WP never had any unique features good enough to win customers over. The UI was also widely hated.

Remember MS still had WM6 customers, they burned all of those with metro and WP7.
>>
>>55929125
im still on 8.1 on my lumia 930. i will hang on it for how long i will be able to. w10 mobile or whatever they decide to call windows phone is a fucking mess. what made me rage so much it's the new fucking settings page. what a clusterfuck. where did the pivot design and font centered ui did go?
>>
>>55930479
I agree it was shit

But it wasn't a clone of anything
>>
>>55930547
>what a clusterfuck
fucking hell, you're probably the only person I found that praises the WP8 settings

>let's just throw everything on one page lol

I hated it when I still had my 830

Update 2 made it a bit more bearable, but still
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.