[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Time for a lil' bit of a storyhere, /g/ I work for BlueHost,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: bluehost-logo.png (13KB, 270x270px) Image search: [Google]
bluehost-logo.png
13KB, 270x270px
Time for a lil' bit of a storyhere, /g/

I work for BlueHost, a webhosting company that works under the brands BlueHost, Host Monster, JustHost, and Fast Domains. BlueHost is owned by Endurance International Group, a corporation that owns like a hundred different brands, including Host Gator, Constant Contact, iPage, and ohmygodwhocares it's a lot.

/b/ me, have a few years tech experience, still learning coding C++, site design, etc but basically only know enough to make myself the go-to guy for broken computers (ie 'how does my apple have a virus?! that's impossible macs don't get malware!' that sort of bullshit)

Get a job at BlueHost, since they have their main offices and their thousands of servers located in my city in the Orem-Provo area in Utah. Figure it'll be a good place to learn more, earn some money, maybe even become a developer.

Right off the bat, 'yeah sorry our servers are down during training a bunch of towelheads called the Syrian Electronic Army keep DDOSing us'. This will be a thing every other week, along with a myriad of other issues that translate to 'well everything you pay us for is down'. Basically 9/10 calls are going to be caused by kiddies in third world countries, our own devs being unable to work on servers without bringing a dozen other ones down for a few days, or Cloudmark.

Oh yeah, Cloudmark, we aren't supposed to let anyone know we use a third party company to scan your emails which are then randomly marked as spam by their systems and we have no idea why.

cont.
>>
File: fat_scottish_wanker.jpg (47KB, 960x525px) Image search: [Google]
fat_scottish_wanker.jpg
47KB, 960x525px
Here is the biggest issue though, tech support at BlueHost is non-existent, because it is basically a glorified sales job. You're a web developer who actually knows what you're doing? Wish I could help you dude, but you know if you buy SiteLock/Constant Contact/Dedicated IP this thing wouldn't happen. You a dumbass small business owner who has no idea what you're doing? Wonderful, if you buy these products, your issues will all go away.

Now like I said, I know a bit about tech support, and I know enough to actually help these guys, and the way the job is presented, selling is more optional to get commissions. Personally I am a shit salesman, I just want to get your issue fixed or else tell you to fix it your own damn self if it isn't our problem.

Now /b/ me over the last month. Get consistently called in, told sales numbers are not good enough, I should be bringing in at least a few hundred dollars in sales minimum, more like a few thousand a month if I really want to keep the job. My actual call resolution and customer satisfaction are high though so these are kept to small warnings, told not to worry about it.

Now /b/ me today. Get a new coach, this huge Scottish fellow who, I shit you not, looks and sounds exactly like the fat Scottsman from Austin Powers. Fat Bastard over here starts laying into me about a few select calls that ended with telling the customer we don't support their issues (which we don't, we listened to the calls).

Fat Bastard tells me I should have sold them X, Y, and Z products. Tell him those products have nothing to do with customer issues. Get told, and I quote, 'They don't have to know that!'

Now they're discussing either putting me back in training, or just outright firing me.
>>
>>55892705
>/b/ me

Stopped reading here.

saged
>>
Anyway tl;dr I work for one of the biggest webhosting companies in the world, one of the only ones that can rival GoDaddy and those other big name companies. Tech support there is basically just Sales Jr.

Anyone want me to bring in a thumb drive on my last day tomorrow and upload whatever the hell is in it to the intranet there?
>>
>>55892725
See if you can add the MEMZ malware to some startup folders.
>>
>>55892720
gj

>>55892752
Wonderful suggestion there.

Anyone else got some gold? This is a one-time opportunity, access to the intranet for one of the biggest and shittiest companies in the world and I don't give a crap if they get fugged up for a few days.
>>
>>55892902
Not worth the potential consequences. Leave them alone assmuncher
>>
>>55893077
Consequences like what? Top kek and some white collar crime they can't pin?

And I'll munch as much ass as I want to, thank you very much.
>>
Web host support here for a medium/small company.

We actually have to be competent, however we have to help the clients with every little thing.

Like:

Wordpress plugin not working?
Fuck you, it's the server's fault FIX IT NOW ASAP AND DO THE NEEDFUL.

Shit is running slow ?
Help me optimize it, no I won't upgrade it was running fine on the old host!

Site hacked?
YOUR SERVER IS HACKED! Fix it, no I won't update my shit.

Install and configure this obscure 2001 application, no I can't read the docs, no I don't have it runs on PHP 4.4.

also mundane shit like:
Please change that image there over there.

CSS is not loading, fix!

Does my server support jQuery?
>>
>>55892705
>>55892713
You signed an NDA Faggot, Stick to it or i'll report ya.
>>
File: wallhaven-90054.jpg (723KB, 3000x1412px) Image search: [Google]
wallhaven-90054.jpg
723KB, 3000x1412px
>>55892705
So what good hosting companies actually exist these days? Preferably ones that turn a blind eye to copyright shenanigans (not needing any kind of diehard pirate haven, just a few things here and there). Dreamhost were pretty good for years but they've started to clamp down on things a bit more lately, probably getting cucked by the US government.

I heard good things about Gandi a few years back, but no idea if they're still any good today.
>>
>>55895025
We don't care if you host shady shit, until we get a DMCA for it.

source:
abuse report handler
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.