[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/g/, you have $100 to spend on an audio source, not including

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: download (2).jpg (3KB, 151x159px)
download (2).jpg
3KB, 151x159px
/g/, you have $100 to spend on an audio source, not including the amp.
is it:
$100 dac (like modi 2)
or
$100 vinyl player (like at lp-60)
>>
Save your money for something's that's not garbage. Protip: if it's 100$ it's garbage
>>
>>55890985
I don't really understand the question to be honest.

A turntable wouldn't be any use without spending tons of money on albums.

A DAC wouldn't be any use without some other source to connect to it, so it's not even really a source in itself. And if using my computer as a source, I feel no need for another DAC because the built-in one sounds fine to me.
>>
>>55891048
analog signal source
sorry for the lack of clarity
>>
>>55890985
I have the LP-60 currently, the belt and the needle can both be upgraded and with a good preamp + amp (it has a preamp built in, but it's not great) it will sound more than decent, but the build quality is awful.

And when I say awful, I mean "what the fuck is this shit?!" awful. Cheap plastic, the insides are all melted into it and the molds they're using are obviously shit-tier, really nothing to write home about. The buttons on them tend to get stuck after a while too, so if your turntable ever starts playing shit on it's own or decides you've had enough music for one day, don't be too surprised.

Go on CraigsList and try to find a decent direct drive (you don't want to be investing in belts all the time) turntable. It can be ancient, just as long as it works. And if it fucks up, you can always fix it somehow, it is not rocket science and there's plenty of guides online, especially for turntables made by big companies like Sony etc.

If you want something newer just for shit and giggles, get yourself a nice Vestax. Or if you're in Europe, Reloop makes pretty decent turntables too.

I only bought this turntable because I was moving, couldn't afford to take all of my stuff with me and I was pretty much in your shoes (hundred dollars on my ass, more or less).

After upgrading it and replacing the buttons/switches (whatever you want to call them) it's pretty nice, but in the end I probably spent more money on it than it was worth and I cannot foresee it lasting for more than five years, max.
>>
>>55890985
ODAC is about $100, I'd go for that.
That said neither a turntable or a dac is much of a thing on its own, you tend to need a lot of other stuff to use it.
>>
Turntable with ability to connect to pc; they have those right?

Via usb??

Makes the dac obsolete, if I am even correct in the first place.
>>
>>55892398
Obsolete in terms of vinyl conversion***
NOT all analog***

Once again, if I am even right in the first place
>>
>>55892398
They do, but it's a gimmick. You could also use an onboard/external soundcard and connect any turntable to it anyway, but either way the computer would have to be constantly on.

Not the greatest setup ever. I've done that with Creative's Soundblaster Xi-Fi HD for a while and it was a pain in the ass.

Best advice I can give you is to just save a little bit of money. Easier said than done, but you don't want to half ass it.

It's like getting yourself a tattoo - you can pay someone a lot of money and get a nice one, or you can let your random buddy fuck your skin up and pay thrice as much to cover it up in the long run.

I know it sucks when you don't have any money and you're trying to just enjoy your hobby, but something has to give.

Be sure to check out garage sales, goodwill etc. - you can score some neat stuff for next to nothing at times.
>>
>>55892497
Ha, just went to goodwill for some vinyl and CDs, not even bad finds.
What exactly is bad about the usb connectivity? From what I understood, that the pc had to remain on? If that is the case, what would be an alternative?
>>
>>55890985
Probably the dac, since that turntable doesn't play 78s
>>
The lp60 is crosley tier
>>
>hundreds dollars of vinyl
vs
>free FLAC
>>
>>55890985
I save the money or spend it on something else, since I know my ears won't be able to tell the difference anyway.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.