[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any of you running openSUSE Leap 42.1? Is it any good? Which

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

Any of you running openSUSE Leap 42.1? Is it any good? Which desktop do you use?
>>
>>55870481
>Which desktop do you use?
First and second one. I don't need other 2.
>>
>>55870481
openSUSE is the only usable linux distro
>>
>>55871565
Half a year ago I decided to go with Manjaro over SUSE. I dont regret it although I wanted to try SUSE too.I think that rpm was why I decided to go with Manjaro.
>>
>Which desktop do you use?

Always use KDE on OpenSUSE. Its the best default KDE of any distro by a landslide.

Their XFCE is really good though if you can't run KDE.
>>
File: Desk.jpg (820KB, 1919x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Desk.jpg
820KB, 1919x1080px
OpenSUSE Masterrace checking in. Zypper is almost as good as Pacman, but none of the Arch fuckery.
>>
File: every os thread.png (100KB, 661x953px) Image search: [Google]
every os thread.png
100KB, 661x953px
>>55870481
XFCE

Yast is godtier to sysadmin stuff. It can be extended to something like Puppet or Chef, yet since it is monolithic (only works for SUSE) it can be a redundant framework for sysadmin stuff. Still it let's you script/manage your system in a unified way if you want something a la Windows. Having such a friendly GUI is very convenient if you want to tweak your system and want to have access to any config, but still if you don't know what you're doing you'll probably fuck it up.

Zypper works as intuitively as pacman. Zypper patterns works like something in between Gentoo Overlays and Debian Metapackages. Yast Metapackages are also one click GUI installers.

The OpenSuse Build Service let's you set up a personal agnostic repo (you can package software for mainstream repos like Fedora, RHEL or CentOS rpms, Debian or Ubuntu debs and even Arch pkg.tar.gzs) by hosting it a la PPA. It also works as a backend for software.opensuse.org which turns the OBS to something similar in size and functionality to the AUR (not as big, but big enough). Just remember not to mix versions like using tumbleweed or fedora packages for leap, for this you'll do more good if you just repackage it for your distro. Even if OBS is far more secure than the AUR, you still need to trust the source.

Packaging is good. Expect some 80% of just works packages with 20% broken dependencies. For the normal and even enterprisey features you'll be covered; if you want to rice your desktop to the max or have to use some weird obscure package you'll probably need to compile/package your software by hand (if you do this please post it in the OBS).

Do use something equally or newer than a ThinkPad T400 since defaults use a lot of resources, and you may need to turnoff what you don't need (zypper patterns). If you want the ability to build your own system a la netinstall, but don't have the time or don't care to use sane defaults you can also use the Suse Studio to build your own opensuse image.
>>
>>55870481
openSUSE is the most optimized distro for KDE. You'll be a turbo moron if you use anything else on it.

They even make a decent patched Firefox for it to use the KDE dialogs etc. out of the box.
>>
>>55873904
i dont understand why firefox don't ship a qt version by default

hell, they could make it a toggle through a configure script even if automake is fucking ass
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.