[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Search engines that aren't google, why do they all fucking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: DDG-icon_256x256.png (14KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
DDG-icon_256x256.png
14KB, 256x256px
Search engines that aren't google, why do they all fucking suck? DuckDuckGo rarely brings up the best results, Startpage is a bit better for websearch but still way worse than Google. Both are absolute garbage if you're searching images or videos.
>>
I don't know, I haven't used Google at all in a year and Duckduckgo just about always has the result I seek on the first page. Startpage, not so much and I have no idea why since they use Google's results as I understand.
>>
Disconnect.me used to do this thing a long time ago where you could use Google while Disconnect blocks all the tracking. Worked with the search bar, too but I don't remember how I did it.
>>
>>55868982
Just get a VPN and fucking use Google.
>>
>>55869693
VPN leaves you exposed via DNS. You best use OpenNIC DNS servers,
https://www.opennicproject.org/

Do a test at ipleak.net to make sure you're not leaking info.
>>
>>55869693
I would rather give traffic to the alternatives so that they are motivated to keep on going - one day they can replace Google completely (though for me, they have already.)
>>
File: google2.png (36KB, 800x535px) Image search: [Google]
google2.png
36KB, 800x535px
I wish there was a good alternative. Google's censorship is extremely unethical and needs to be put to a stop, regardless of political affiliation,.
>>
Google results are more accurate because of how intrusive they are with all the monitoring and data collection, unfortunately. That's the price you pay.
>>
>>55868982
Adsense.

Google literally has about 80% of their income (if not more) coming from advertisements. They are able to profile things well, just look at their fucking captcha now.

I would put money that its just they have better engineers making a superior product. For what they get paid, you can't expect any less.
>>
>>55868982
Google searcher gets better by literally spying what you and other people search.

If I search for Unity my first result could be Ubuntu's shell. For another person that is more interested in gayiming it could be the AC game or more probably the game engine.

Other search engines are less used and so they're worse because they can't set up the results to satisfy you.

Said so, download Google Chrome and embrace the botnet, it's the right choice goy
>>
>>55868982
Google's algorithm was developed at Berkeley by extremely intelligent people. I went to a tech event at a Mountain View University and one speaker spent an hour discussed the mathematics behind Google search.
>>
>>55868982

Probably has something to do with the fact the other search engines aren't relying on a database of your personal information.

Personally, I think Google has slipped the last few years. I hardly notice a difference from DDG in terms of finding what I wanted.
>>
I use searx.me and like it.
>>
It's amazing how great a search engine can be when it knows your every move.
>>
>>55868982
80% of the time I use DDG, for more specific and confusing stuff I just use the !g flag
>>
DuckDuckGo? More like FuckFuckNo amirite?
>>
>>55869844
why opennic over opendns?
>>
>>55869844
> It’s free to use and the servers are run by volunteers.
That's what it says on their site. What's stopping some 3 letter agency from submitting their own?
>>
>>55868982
>DuckDuckGo rarely brings up the best results

The reason google brings up what you consider the best results is because they datamine the shit out of you and everyone else. The whole point of DDG is that they don't treat you like the product. You give up some minor convenience for that.
>>
>>55876181
The actual problem is that people are used to retarded, inaccurate searches giving them what they want because Google KNOWS what you want.

Use DDG and learn2actually search.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.