[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone tried getting a cheap laptop board to mod into a HTPC

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

Has anyone tried getting a cheap laptop board to mod into a HTPC or some other kind of computer?

Older shit seems to be selling at a pretty nice price and is definitely faster than a cheap SBC.

Plus x86-64 processor.
>>
I'm sorry, did I ask a tech question?
I meant graphics card graphics card raspberry pi maki Oukitel *insert gaming benchmark*
>>
>>55861492
>mod a laptop board into a htpc

I don't see why this wouldn't be possible, provided you can power it and cool it.
There's a spot for your drive, maybe an SD

Plug it all together, but in a breadbox and use it
>>
>>55861945
How about power?
Power bottom?

These shit are usually connected with a ribbon cable?

>cooling
Tempted to use a evo 212 for humors sake, or a clc
>>
>>55861991
Solder the leads; use google.
You might as well as make a PC.
>>
>>55861991
Laptops power through the cable too, you don't need a seperate battery for that

Laptop boards don't usually have holes for these kind of coolers, atleast on the right spots.
You'd have to measure that the cooler fits on it.

I'd suggest that you'd get the board's stock cooler on it and improve it by adding a few extra 40-60mm fans to aid it.

Everything else should work fine and dandy, you dont even need the panel for it if you have a video out on the board
>>
>>55862108
Adding also to this, that if you have usbs on it without a seperate module then stick a hub there and connect all your peripherals on it
>>
>>55861492

The issue is the boards you can get.

Some boards are devoid of:
I/O Ports (USB/HDMI/Other ports are on separate daughter boards)
Meaningful cooler options (You're stuck with OEM for cooling, which can often be loud and bad)
Basic switches/buttons (Power on, reset, Etc)
Storage (If they offer SATA connectors that aren't on a daughter board, they're usually 2.5" form-factor, meaning you've either got to plug the drive in and hope it stays just on the stress the connector puts on it, or find a way to prop the drive up, or buy a cable, which defeats the purpose of the boards being cheap)
RAM (Means you've got to buy it separate)
Processor (Means you've got to buy it separate)
and more.

Honestly, I'd just surf your local Craigslist/Similar and find some old machine for dirt cheap. Laptop with a busted screen/battery, Old C2D Desktop, they're not hard to find online either.
>>
>>55862108
Just use zip ties for the cooler
>>
>>55862377
Oh yeah, this

The power switches do usually rely on ribbons to power up, do you'd have to get one

Unless you find a way to power it by shorting out the pins
>>
>>55861492
>Plus x86-64 processor
That is not a plus.
>>
>>55862561
It's a pretty big plus
>>
>>55862596
Why? HTPCs are for watching movies and TV shows, you can do that with any architecture.
>>
>>55862626
Yeah but you get more options and better performance with x86
>>
>>55862721
>options
Kodi is open source, I could use it regardless of architecture.
>performance
What fucking performance do you need? It's a fucking glorified DVD player.
>>
>>55862748
Exactly.
And that is why x86 is the best.
>>
>>55862923
Were you dropped on your head as a child or what?
>>
>>55862956
My brother may have hit me in the head with a brick when I was 6, but that's besides the point.

The performance is important for op, I've seen what happens when my turionX2 chokes in h265 playback and it's not pretty, that's why I can't recommend anything weak like those silly SBCs.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.