[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what is the average lifespan of a server? >3 years >1

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: server-upgrade-e1421088606313.jpg (37KB, 600x340px) Image search: [Google]
server-upgrade-e1421088606313.jpg
37KB, 600x340px
what is the average lifespan of a server?

>3 years
>1 year
>as long as it has warranty
>always buy new stuff if it is better

fuck you guys, that is freaking expensive

even changing a server every 3 years is expensive, and mine has been running 13 years without a single problem

sure, it is common sense to have a daily backup, change the fucking hard disks frequently and shit like that. I do that.

But WHY IS THE FUCKING INTERNET INFESTED WITH SHILL VERMINS ALL OVER THE FORUMS, CLAIMING THAT SERVERS SHOULD BE CHANGED MORE FREQUENTLY THAN A BABY'S DIAPER
>>
When you have ebough servers, power efficency of those newer cpus make a difference
>>
Because they're corporate cucks
>>
>>55860399
>change the fucking hard disks frequently
wut
>>
i change my servers as often as i change my thermal paste
>>
>>55860412
OP here

totally agree with that

but right now, I have like 1 server, and 3 desktop computers doing work they shouldn't be doing

I am planning on getting just one damn server, and put everything in there

BUT I don't want to change that fucking thing every 3 years

that's fucking nuts
>>
>>55860424
>>change the fucking hard disks frequently
>wut
I did it because

OP HERE

>was using those SAS 10K RPM disks
>SSD master race, yeah
>I don't trust MLC technology for very long periods of time
>when I take one SSD out of the server, I use it on a client's computer
>client's computer SHOULDN't store any information, other than the fucking OS

I change SSD's every 2 or 3 years
>>
>>55860399
anything can be a server.
sage
>>
So answer me guys

what is a plaussible lifespan of a server?

>as long as your waranty blah blah blah

fuck warranty, those fuckers never take any single responsability, and depending on them is having 1 month downtime, I rather change my own god damn parts than having some incompetent asshole do it for me
>>
>>55860473
>>I don't trust MLC technology for very long periods of time
mine have been fine

>>when I take one SSD out of the server, I use it on a client's computer
wut

>I change SSD's every 2 or 3 years
maybe if you bought enterprise class SSDs you wouldnt have this problem, mine have endurance of ~2.3EB sequential 500TB enterprise workload.
>>
>>55860507
>2.3EB
2.3PB sorry
>>
>>55860507
I am actually thinking on getting an enterprise class SSD, with my new server

but I am not planning on having new server's every fucking 3 years
>>
>>55860507
also, If I am planing on having an enterprise class SSD, I will fucking have it SLC, not MLC
>>
>>55860519
>I am actually thinking on getting an enterprise class SSD, with my new server
>an
what kind of shitbox are you LARPing to be a "server"?
>>
>>55860544
current setting is a HP Proliant DL 360 G5 with 2 Intel Xeon E5420 @ 2.50GHz, 16 GB DDR2 RAM on 2x8GB sticks

I can top it up to 64 GB RAM

dual power supplies
>>
>>55860544
oh, and my current SSDs are
please don't laugh
fucking 512 GB normalfag kingstone SSD SATA drives
>>
>>55860544
dude, you RAID'd 0 MLC SSD's?

thats asking for trouble

multiplying your possible error rate ^ 8

but I see you got a nice RAID 6 data partition, so no big deal
>>
>>55860558
>current setting is a HP Proliant DL 360 G5
I thought you said it was 13 years old?

>>55860594
They're an order of magnitude better than my HDDs
>Seagate 600 Pro
>Nonrecoverable Read Errors per Bits Read, Max
1 per 10E16

>HGST UltraStar 7K4000
>Error rate (non-recoverable, bits read)
>1 in 1015
>>
>>55860647
>>1 in 1015
1 in 10E15
>>
The only good reason to upgrade is if what you have isnt fullfilling your needs
>>
>>55860594
>multiplying your possible error rate ^ 8
Also how would this even work? The error rate remains the same regardless of the disk count. It is per bits read. Also I think you meant * not ^.

Also it is a bit irrelevant as you noted. The only stuff on that disk is Win10, my Steam library and the VHDs for 3 ESXi VMs which have their VMs backed up to the HDD RAID.
>>
Hello, new to /g/ I am. What is a non normie use if a server? primarily what are you using it for
>>
>>55860794
>>
>>55860821
a virtual machine... to test programs with?
>>
>>55860853
3 ESXi VMs in turn running other VMs.

>to test programs
Not testing. Its nice to be able to walk in to a job interview and prove that you can be a systems admin by VPNing in to your home and show that you have much of the same basic infrastructure any enterprise would have; at least for the Microsoft/NTP/Veeam VMs.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.