[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the advantage of UNIX-like filesystem hierarchy standard?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: advice.jpg (71KB, 700x452px) Image search: [Google]
advice.jpg
71KB, 700x452px
What is the advantage of UNIX-like filesystem hierarchy standard? Why is it my fate to go through millions of config files (or things created after the installation that are not tracked by the package manager) in /etc?

I kinda understand why people chose this way, but I don't think the people came up with it estimated the growth in complexity of third party applications.

What I would really love is having a base system set up in this fashion and additional stuff contained within themselves, and symlinked for compatibility. So that when I use my package manager, I can just check the base directory for invalid symlinks and it would be just fine.
>>
>>55860181
It exists and is called Gobo Linux. find, grep, and man basically make it not worth the time.
>>
>>55860203
Oh, didn't know that. It looks cool.

My issue is not really finding them, it's more about not being able to completely and confidently removing programs. Bits and pieces left everywhere that are not tracked by package manager which may also be named weirdly so you may not be able to find them using logic.

But I thought I was the only one got fed up with this. Apparently there are others and now my thread seems a bit pointless.
>>
>>55860273

Problem is with the package not having certain files being tracked. In any case, I've had the same problems in Windows, with uninstallers leaving shit around. Visual Studio's uninstaller is complete crap.
>>
>>55860315
But if all the related files are collected in one directory and only symlinked, you can just look at the directory and find out what remains in theory.
>>
Gobo is half-assed, and not the right half of the ass.

Read up on NixOS. Every package is built in isolation in its own content-addressed write-once location in the store. Symlink trees that serve as profiles are also built as packages in this store. Lots of interesting properties: install and upgrade are atomic, repeatable, portable, downgrade is guaranteed to work, nonadmin package install is a possibility, etc.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.