[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm gonna make a MUD game but with more modern devices.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: yay.png (25KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
yay.png
25KB, 1000x800px
I'm gonna make a MUD game but with more modern devices. It will not use telnet, it will be usable in the browser. It will also be written in a modern language.
I'm looking for people who want to make this with me, whether it be to contribute code or stories or just suggestions.
I'm also wondering what platform /g/ would choose to do this in. I'm thinking not much in the way of a framework is needed, just a basic http stack that allows user input. I'm thinking I'll either right this in python, rust, or C#. Any ideas or suggestions welcome.
>>
>>55859660
Jesus christ, kill me.
>right
I meant write. You'll have to excuse me, I'm very tired.
>>
File: angryaboutelves.jpg (27KB, 550x281px) Image search: [Google]
angryaboutelves.jpg
27KB, 550x281px
I'd like to join in on this. Will there be a central "location" for us to meet and chat about this or will it be done over irc or something? I can contribute in the way of code, maybe sketches/drawings, regular game design elements, story bits or plot lines. I have always wanted to do something like this but none of my friends are nerds the way I am. They will play dnd, not make their own game, though.

One question, though. Since it's going to be a mud, meaning all text and maybe some glyphs, why not just use C? It'll be quick, handle character streams very well ( I can help with this code, btw ) and since it's a mostly text based deal will not require the shortcomings of C to collide with efficiency requirements. Also, the code will be fairly barebone and simple considering it's just a regular game and not some 3d hypershaded marketplace steam derivative of the hyperloop.

I'll be monitoring this thread.
>>
>>55859750
If it is going to be usable in a browser, would it not make sense to do it with JS? Simplest way to start, no?
>>
>>55859750
I already have a little IRC I started for other reasons, you should hop onto that. It's rizon#r9kprog
And the reason I don't want to use C is because I don't know C, and I don't want this to be a learning project like a lot of the stuff I do, (I'll show you my github if you get on the IRC) I wanna actually make a fun game. So I'm gonna stick with what I already know or would be very easy to pick up. Learning C would involve learning how to manage memory, use pointers, etc. All stuff that I plan to learn, but not on this project.
>>
>>55859802
I've tried my hand in Node. Not a fan. It's also much more than I need. I just need a very basic http stack.
>>
I've been wanting to make something like this but then I go full autism and get bogged down by graph theory, user scripting, persistence, proper data structures, implementing secure sockets, etc...etc...
>>
>>55859831
Would you want to just write some stories and make some maps?
You could not touch a single piece of code if you don't want to.
>>
File: thepixels.png (14KB, 929x555px) Image search: [Google]
thepixels.png
14KB, 929x555px
>>55859806
ooooh, alright. Learning that stuff is as easy as picking apart what your mouse does ( highlight == "instantiate pointer and assign highlighted text" ) and regular mapping techniques ( keep your most often used vars closer to the top and maybe recycle a function to swap classes' location in memory to keep the most used classes close ) but I'm all for doing this regardless of the language. I'll join your irc in a second. I'm uploading some of my league videos to youtube.
>>
>>55859855
Nah I want to learn this stuff so I'll be monitoring this thred
>>
>>55860220
join the irc, we have a good half hour before we need to be done for the day. At least with OP still up.

rizon#r9kprog
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.