[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/g/entlemen, let's talk about storage. I fear my aged 1TB

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: Samsung-840-EVO-SSD-1TB-2.jpg (2MB, 563x375px) Image search: [Google]
Samsung-840-EVO-SSD-1TB-2.jpg
2MB, 563x375px
/g/entlemen, let's talk about storage. I fear my aged 1TB HDD from 2012 has become a ticking time bomb that's ready to fail any time I startup my PC. Back then I took the advice that SSDs were an unnecessary cost made to bait rich people. However, today's prices have dropped to far more attractive numbers. With such an increase in choices, questions naturally follow. I figure I can do a fresh install of Windows with some bargain bin SSD while having my old shit backed up on alternate storage. Should there be any complications with this? What are your preferences on the subject?
>>
Your hard drive is fine you brainwashed consumerist. How about you put some money in an IRA if its burning a hole in your pocket so bad
>>
>>55857653
>I figure I can do a fresh install of Windows with some bargain bin SSD while having my old shit backed up on alternate storage. Should there be any complications with this?

Have you been using just a C: drive your whole life? No there aren't any complications, normie. It makes sense to keep your system drive/partition separate so you can wipe and re-install your OS without having to back up your shit every time.
>>
File: Untitled.png (92KB, 684x703px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
92KB, 684x703px
wtf do you people do to your disks to fuck them up so much?
>>
best value 1TB HDD to buy now?

>>55858275
I bought Seagate
>>
File: Capture.png (106KB, 1498x253px)
Capture.png
106KB, 1498x253px
current seagates are ok. they bought out samsungs hdd manufacturing instead of learning to get gud
>>
>>55858284
toshiba are currently the cheapest, unsure of their long term reliability.
i've got one of their 4TB drives with over 8000 hours on the clock though
>>
>>55857653
Buy a 1TB SSD, Sandisk Ultra II.
>>
Whatever you do, don't get a PNY. I just had to replace mine because it completely shit the bed. I only had it for a year and half.
>>
I hear that Western Digital and Hitachi are the safest and longest lasting HDDs
While Seagate is the worst offender.
>>
Hitachi is best. WD and Seagate are a bit neck and neck with the larger HDDs (>3TB).
>>
>HDD from 2012
I have a nearly 10 year old drive that runs just fine and has absolutely no problems. I have drives that are older than that and when I've checked them out sometimes they run just fine.

Stop being paranoid about HDDs and stop believing in the "OH HDDS ARE SHIT" lies spread by idiots that want to sell you expensive as fuck (per storage unit) SSDs that really aren't that much faster in actual use than a good HDD.

>mah benchmark!
Storage device benchmarks don't really give you a good indication of real world performance. SSDs are definitely faster than HDDs and they're pretty cool little devices, but they're still WAY too much money given how fucking tiny the storage space is vs a HDD and I've seen many just randomly fail (they'll still work, they just suddenly lose an entire filesystem for no reason).

Run SMART on your HDD and stop being fucking paranoid.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.