[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is AMD so shit on the desktop? Or at least their CPUs. I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 10

File: 1763.jpg (67KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1763.jpg
67KB, 320x320px
Why is AMD so shit on the desktop? Or at least their CPUs. I had owned an 8150 for almost 2 years now, and I just recently decided to upgrade to an i7-5820k, and Jesus fuck the difference is astonishing, I actually have PCIe 3.0, more than 2 USB 3.0 ports, USB 3.1 type C, and not to mention increased performance and less heat output.

Why is AMD so fucking shit
>>
Because The FX series is old as balls?

Seriously, why do you even bother trash talking AMD processors when you know Zen is coming?

Granted, it's taking too goddamn long, and I have a 6700k otw, myself, because I'm impatient as fuck and have more money than sense, but that's besides the point. My 8350 was gr8 while it lasted. It'll make an excellent living room rig.
>>
>>55851348
>this triggers the pajeet

Careful now, this place is filled with AMD marketers.

I went FX 8120 -> i7 3770 myself and the difference was night and day.

Buying an AMD cpu is about the most fucking retarded thing you could possibly do. I wish I knew better when I got mine. The only scenario where it's justified is if you're build a machine to render stuff exclusively.

It's hilarious seeing people buying AMD cpus, then they have to get an expensive motherboard to overclock that shitty POS, which already rules out any matx offering because there are no am3+ matx mobos in existence with good power regulation. Then they have to buy an aftermarket cooler instead of just going with any i5 with its stock cooler and literally the cheapest board they could find while getting WAY better performance. The amd price/performance thing is the biggest bullshit I've seen, specially since it doesn't pay for the headaches you're gonna have with its subpar performance.

>>55851391
They were already hot garbage when they came out, having fucking half the IPC of intel cpus at the time they did. The bulldozer is such a shitty lineup even the fucking phenom outclasses it and Vishera is just a polished turd because it's barely even 10% more efficient than the original POS.

>Zen is coming

Gig fucking whoop. As if every single amd promise didn't fall flat on its face since the bulldozer days. This "n-next a-amd t-thing is g-gonna fix e-everything!" shit has more than gotten tiresome already.
>>
>>55851438
Wew lad, you wrote that entire post?

Also, it's common knowledge that AMD bet on multicore, and Intel bet on ipc. In alot of things that aren't gaymen, FX series is still a great deal. Even then, it's only recently become a noteworthy bottleneck in anything but a handful of games.
>>
>>55851438
lmao gaymd
>>
File: my pc_compressed.jpg (105KB, 455x435px) Image search: [Google]
my pc_compressed.jpg
105KB, 455x435px
>>55851348
as someone that has an almost entirely amd system ive gota say thats not always true back when i got my 9590 (switched up from a 2500k){power surge got my shittyrock board} it was an expensive cpu but now its two years old and still is a solid performer this said i will be switching to intel if zen turns out to be a shit storm
>>
File: Biden-Thumbs-Up-e1350488645888.png (161KB, 475x285px) Image search: [Google]
Biden-Thumbs-Up-e1350488645888.png
161KB, 475x285px
>>55851750
>Gigabyte GA990 UD5
you have great taste in motherboards.
>>
>>55851438
Wow, great post you made! We can really see your dedication to the shilling team! Youll be recieving .50 Nvidiabux for this one instead of the usual .25. Keep up the good work!
>>
>upgraded from a $250 (when new) trash-tier CPU (when new) to a modern, high end $700 CPU
>surprised
>>
>>55851992
Its was $320
>>
I went from an 8150 to a 5960x then traded the 5960x + $300 for a 2696V3 (oem 2699V3) same chip exactly. HOLY HELL WHAT AN UPGRADE
>>
>>55851992
you can get a 5820k for the same price as a 6700k and have been able too for weeks

the mobos are expensive tho and the skylake is better unless you are genuinely creating.
>>
File: image_2.jpg (8KB, 124x148px) Image search: [Google]
image_2.jpg
8KB, 124x148px
>>55852123
>Tfw bought a 6700k yesterday
>forgot the 5820k existed
>I animate and edit video regularly, and podcast
>Newegg already shipped before I could cancel

Oh, well... At least it'll be a nice jump from the 8350. I hope I don't miss octacore too much for encoding, though.
>>
>>55852179
should be able to send it back and order the other one.
>>
>>55851348
They are cheap. Only reason I bought an FX 6300. It runs hot, is terrible at single core stuff and the stock fan is loud. I still like it, it runs great with my old ass GPU as well. Who needs uber ultra motherboard ripping, PSU melting, pixel burning performance to shitpost on /g/?
>>
>>55852123
>mobos are expensive tho
Ehhh, maybe a $40 premium over Z170 for similar feature set.
>>
imagine /g/! Instead of shitty zen we could have gotten 20 core excavator with dual 256bit fmacs, but lazy, java-tier programmers didn't properly implement multi-threading into software.
>>
>tfw when tech illiterate
I am new to the whole building a PC in general.
I fell for the FX meme. Bought an 8350 instead of settling for intel and putting in a hundred euros more. I just need it for gaming and occasional coding. But the benchmarks of the 8350 were always better tha the 6300. In the end i made a shit choice, probably need to upgrade motherboard and CPU in two years, if what you guys tell me is true.
Why did i ever start the PC gaming meme ?
SHould have just sticked to my PS4, way cheaper.
>>
>>55853067
No you should've gotten proper advice before spending your money. Doing actual research instead of just looking at benchmarks for 30 minutes.
>>
>>55851348
>I just recently decided to upgrade to an i7-5820k, and Jesus fuck the difference is astonishing
I assume you're referring to the difference in price. More expensive thing is better. Stop the presses!
>>
>>55851348
Cheap af, overclocks spectacularly, multitasks well. Bought an 8320 for $120 and got it to 4.5GHz on stock voltage. Runs VM lab with Plex server and gaming box without breaking a sweat. Skylake wasn't out yet and Sandy Vag cost three times as much. Bottlenecks the 1080 in some CPU-heavy games, but dat price point.
>>
They gambled on Bulldozer and TMP, and it failed.

Also, PCI-e, USB, etc. are because you switched from 5+ years old chipset to 3 years old chipset. Nothing to do with whether Intel or AMD is better.
>>
>>55853148
X99 isn't even 2 years old yet, it will be in 2 weeks though.
>>
>>55851750
a single FX9590 has a higher TDP and less performance than my dual Nehalem hex-core Xeons from 2010
>AMD
>>
>>55853191
An 8320 clocked up to 5GHz costs less than a single one of those Xeons, including third party watercooler.
>>
>>55853191
i only payed 220$ when i got mine tho
>>
>>55853269
A motherboard that can survive a 5GHz OC will run you just as much as a used x79 or x58 board, or close to it.

And used xeons cost $50-200 depending how new they are.
>>
>>55851533
well that and AMD is essentially banned from nato countries for anything corporate or government meaning a massive core of experienced programmers can't use them for their projects meaning any special features they may add will never be exploited to their full potential.
>>
>>55852179
did nobody actually get the 6700k for the amazing mitx offerings? I went mITX with an asus z170i and its fantastic.

I only upgraded a week ago because i couldnt play watchdogs on my q6600
>>
>>55853311
my board is 120$ new and it handles 5.0 just fine
>>
>>55853311
And a double-CPU server board won't? The M5A99FX is more than capable of maintaining that OC, and that MSRPs for $130. You don't need to drop stacks for a devent mobo, just read consumer reviews and use your brain. Binning lottery is definitely a bigger issue than mobo quality for FX overclocks.
>>
File: myshittypc.png (22KB, 552x390px) Image search: [Google]
myshittypc.png
22KB, 552x390px
>>55853399
i'm on a q9550 and watchdogs runs fine, that's weird
>>
>>55853032
>java-tier programmers didn't properly implement multi-threading into software.

I think you mixed that up with lazy C++ gaymen developers who don't know what concurrency is. Java programmers tend to write server software with tons of threads (or the same number of threads as cores in low latency scenarios).
>>
>>55853442
I only had a motherboard that could support 4gb of ddr2 desu
>>
>>55853399
Definitely will be building a schweet z170 mITX this Christmas. I like my FX processor and all, but I want one of those NVMe drives and AMD is consistently too far behind the curve on peripheral support.
>>
>>55851438
I dunno. I'm looking at building a $150 set top and I'm currently torn between doing something with a Tegra or building a cheep AMD APU.
>>
>>55854266
Those are not even in the same class. It should be a fairly easy decision if your goals are well-defined.
>>
>>55854331
> if your goals are well-defined.
Watch TV, steam streaming, run a cheap 4k TV.

It's a trade off between having x86 or having better video performance.
>>
What I don't understand is how intel manages to keep second hand cpu prices so high? Even looking for a used 3rd gen i5/i7 is not normally worth it when for slightly more you can buy new
>>
>>55854742
All they have to do is not make more CPUs then people want. As long as supply is under demand the used chips will still be worth money.
>>
>>55851348
>A five year old CPU and chipset lacks the features developed in the last five years
HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN
>>
>>55852057
At launch when Microcenter was selling 99 bucks 2500K's
Buying at launch always retarded, specially with the 2500K at a fraction of the 8150 price
>>
>>55855031
No I mean the 5820k.
>>
They're cheap and old.

It's like you're bitching about not being able to play Pokemon Go on a fucking dumbphone.
>>
>>55854522
I would think a Tegra would be plenty. AMDs are juice hogs with dogshit TDP.
>>
>>55853779
those pcie drives take longer to boot because they need to power on. but if you need to read fast, like video editing or something they can do it in real time.
>>
>>55855084
Yeah, but then I need to root the fucking thing ( assuming I don't buy a dev kit) and force linux down it's throat, no x86 software, gotta get steam running on it, even then I'm pretty sure it'll only be good for streaming an not native games (probably?), it's a bit more expensive. I've seen a lot of people claim to have linux on it, and show how they did it on various devices, but then I never see anyone actually using it as a real computer and not a toy.

My TV died; probably the t-con. So, I figured I would use this as an excuse to buy a cheap 4k TV which means I'll need to upgrade or replace my old 5050e set top.

I've only just started looking into it and I'm not happy with any solution so far.
>>
>>55855179
Maybe look at an embedded A4? Asrock makes one for less than $100, and they are x86 so you wouldn't have the same sort of problems you would with a Tegra. Granted, a Skylake i3 would blow it out of the water performance-wise, but you would be looking at over $200 for the chip and mobo together. Depends on how much you're willing to spend. Their APU performance is pretty abysmal by today's standards, but if all you're doing is driving a TV, it might be just what the doctor ordered. I haven't used them myself, so I'm not sure.
>>
>>55853321
I pressume this is because of the lack of NSA backdoor which intel has implemented in all their chips.
>>
File: 1459103850405.png (330KB, 330x319px) Image search: [Google]
1459103850405.png
330KB, 330x319px
>amd's cpu upgrade path leads to intel
>amd's gpu upgrade path leads to nvidia
>>
>>55853067
>also has FX 8350 but with a nice $30 cooler
> with 7950 for gpu
I've never had any issues running any game or emulator, and have rarely oc'd.
>>
>>55851348

A company which didn't make a massive amount of money in the CPU industry to begin with decided to buy a GPU company and have it's already shit R&D budget split between 2 highly demanding, expensive, high tech industries.

Now it's leaning more of that R&D toward GPUs where it stands a chance and only making their CPUs even worse.
>>
>>55852179
you'd need a different motherboard as well (2011-3), they're considerably more expensive for the 5820k / 6800k
>>
>>55857029
>they're considerably more expensive
Dont lie to him, they're 20-40 more for the same feature set you'd get from Z170. When you're talking about $500+, 20-40 is hardly a deciding factor.
>>
>>55855713
I'm actually thinking about a G4500 Skylake, which I could put in my currant case for about $190, which is close enough to the budget.

I just can't seem to find good numbers on 4k playback for the integrated graphics. Fucking benchmarks are mostly concerned with games. In all honestly, I won't be playing 4k video files any time soon, but I don't want to have to upgrade my fucking TVPC until the new 4k set gives up the ghost a decade from now or some shit. I've had that 5050e machine since 2008, about a year after I bought the last TV and while it wouldn't play hevc 1080p shit well, it was fine for everything else up until that.

Someone really just needs to come up with a standard set of files that can be used to benchmark 4k video playback. Fucking 4k youtube doesn't cut it; that isn't as intensive as hevc files, but there's very little information out there.
>>
>>55857295
Fixed point 4k 10-bit HEVC is coming with Kaby Lake, Skylake has hybrid software based 10-bit HEVC decoding which won't cut for 4k, it can do up to 4k 8-bit HEVC. Also it doesn't support 4k@60Hz HDMI 2.0 output and HDCP 2.2 which is needed for UHD TVs. Alternatively you can get a GTX 950 which can do 10-bit 4k HEVC@60Hz and output with HDMI 2.0 if you don't want to wait
>>
>>55853191
My two x5650 costs less than a FX8320, having 2x6 real cores and 2x12 real threads. They were like 120€, mobo was about 100€. Almost same prime as an FX system but with more horsepower
>>
>>55857857
Price* sorry for misspeling
>>
>>55853311
used xeons are cheap but the mobos for them are 300$+ now unfortunatly....
>>
>>55857879

>misspeling
>look at him, look at him and laugh
>>
>>55851348
Intel shady practices and amazing marketing demolished AMD even when AMD had the better processor.
>>
>>55853442
my q6600 was such a piece of shit, i couldnt play any cpu intensive game without horrible fps
>>
>>55858877
Q6600 was one of my favorite CPUs. I know you are being sarcastic, but eat a dick.
>>
>>55851391
>Granted, it's taking too goddamn long, and I have a 6700k otw, myself, because I'm impatient as fuck and have more money than sense, but that's besides the point. My 8350 was gr8 while it lasted. It'll make an excellent living room rig.

same thing i did.

i really did enjoy my 8350 when i got it three years ago. intel of course had the single threaded lead but at the time it wasn't anything game changing. at 4ghz the 8350 matched first gen i7 but had better multi-threaded performance. was faster than the 3770k.

but now? its run out of steam. intel from haswell, broadwell, and now skylel has the 8350 matching a i5 non-k at best. even games that can use all 8 cores to their fullest.

i wanted to wait for zen but settled on the 6700k. thought about broadwell-e but really didn't want to go back into owning a processor with a high tdp. nice not having my processor pumping out as much, or more heat as my gpu.

i might sell off my 6700k for zen when it comes out if its single threaded performance is extremely competitive but offers superior multi-threading.

right now, its hard to recommend the 8350. even for those on budgets. for gaming, its pretty weak. a i5 6500 is a better value imo.
>>
amd betted on multi-threading, while intel betted on strong single threaded performance.

amd was right in the end. they were not early, nor late. their problem was you still needed a certain level of single threaded performance. they shipped a processor that had worse single threaded performance than their previous processors from 2009... then they released a "refresh" that brought them on par to their previous architecture.

that was their problem. if bulldozer was slower than sandy, but faster than nehalem with single threaded performance, it would of been a huge success. if it was as fast as a 3.2ghz+ nehalem it still would of been a success. but it wasn't. once over clocked (4.5ghzish) it barely matched a 2.6hz first generation nehalem in single threaded performance.

with amd claiming zen to offer around broadwell level performance, but with x99 core counts but cheaper, much cheaper prices, it should be a success, even if skylel or kaby is faster in single threaded. amd will finally have competitive single threaded performance but with superior multi-threading performance and better overall value.
>>
>>55859457
>amd betted on multi-threading, while intel betted on strong single threaded performance.
what?
>>
>>55859917
>25% on 40 threads
>64% of 160GiB ram used

Anon, what are you doing?
>>
Went from a PII 1055T hexa core to a 3570K. Games gained 50fps just by this switch.
>>
>>55862177
Seconding
>>
>>55851348
>why are new cpus faster than old ones
>>
File: mfwtur.jpg (10KB, 144x145px) Image search: [Google]
mfwtur.jpg
10KB, 144x145px
>>55851974
>thread about cpus
>nvidia
amdrones are real and this retarded
>>
>>55859184
Same.
Def got my money's worth from 8350, but until Zen, I don't think anyone can recommend AMD processors for much, outside of super budget builds, or normie stations
>>
>>55862177
>>55862482
>what are you doing
Running VMs
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.