[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any reason to still use CRTs? Do graphic designers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: nec-fp2141sb-bk.jpg (32KB, 500x452px) Image search: [Google]
nec-fp2141sb-bk.jpg
32KB, 500x452px
Is there any reason to still use CRTs?

Do graphic designers and industry professionals still prefer them or has the LCD masterrace supplanted them here too?
>>
>>55847093
I use one for video games.
It was free, plus you can't really beat 1600x1200 75hz or 2048x1536 60hz when you're not willing to spend more than a couple of hundred dollars per upgrade
>>
EIZO ColorEdge CG318-4K
>>
>>55847093
>
Do graphic designers and industry professionals still prefer them
no
they will use wide gamut lcd or even just srgb since most of the work those days is aimed towards web
>>
>>55847093
CRTs, as good as they were back in the day, are simply outclassed by LCDs in pretty much every category. Now obviously your Walmart 20" 1366x768 LCD isn't going to be better than a Sony PVM CRT, but a premium EIZO or Dell Ultrasharp offering is pretty much up miles ahead compared to a CRT.
>>
>>55847093
I use an NEC PA272W for photo, graphic design and CG, and it blows my old CRT out of the water in pretty much every way possible. LCDs were shit in years past, but 1440p with Adobe RGB and LED backlighting is what kills the CRT. The only upgrade I can think of is going 4K but high-res displays of this grade are obscenely expensive.
If you have some retro gaming setup though, a CRT can be handy to have since it looks better, since that's what the graphics were designed for.
>>
They are still used in broadcasting last I heard. I don't know whether that's for actual superiority or just old habits dying hard.
>>
>>55847256
>>55847256
They are used because they still work, and you don't replace what works
>>
>>55847256
That's true but those are color reference monitors, not just screens, they're used to meter the settings of the camera
>>
2 years ago a large part of /g/ was into crts and muh black levels. What happened? Does no one care anymore?
>>
>>55849450
They probably dropped their rose colored glasses after realizing how much maintenance CRTs require on a regular basis.
>>
>>55849450
LCD tech has improved a lot since then, and good quality professional CRTs (the only ones anybody gives a shit about) have gotten much harder to find and expensive. Which will only continue as they haven't been manufactured in a decade or more.
>>
Very cheap high resolution displays
>>
>>55849556
Anyone using a UPS will also be using an LCD.
I realized this when I was working at a client's location. Power went out, went to go shut down server. CRT was turned off since I hadn't worked on it yet.
When I turned on the CRT, the voltage draw was so high the UPS shut off, and I spent a few hours repairing Exchange as a result once they regained power.
They ended up getting an LCD for it after that. They had the CRT because it was the one from their original server, and since it wasn't broke, why replace it?
>>
File: IMG_20160728_160013.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160728_160013.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
For old video games? About the only use I can think of
>>
Well, if you have a framemeister then yes, lcd for old games... But with old games on a LCD theres the slightest of delays, which can fuck you over in retro games like battletoads or ninja gaiden if you need pinpoint accuracy.
>>
File: 1469982302451.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
1469982302451.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>55850094
that rotation thanks phone
>>
Use them to play melee
>>
>>55847093
>Is there any reason to still use CRTs?
Several legitimate ones.

Superior motion performance and low latency, important for gaming.

Better at displaying low resolutions without quality loss, mainly important for old games that require low resolutions.

Better black level when viewing in a dark room (NOT a lit room) which can be nice for playing dark games or watching dark movies/shows.

These are the only advantages a CRT has against any decent LCD. "Better color" is a meme that hasn't been true since professional quality IPS displays capable of critical graphics design hit the market over a decade ago. As such I can't imagine many professionals still prefer CRTs for their work, and if any do it's probably not for legitimate reasons. For gaming and media, though, CRT is still unmatched in the aforementioned respects.
>>
>>55847093
>Is there any reason to still use CRTs?
Poverty and obscure specifications.

>Do graphic designers and industry professionals still prefer them or has the LCD masterrace supplanted them here too?
Do you live in 2003?
>>
>>55847093
There are probably some still hanging around in professional graphic design, but LCDs have matured enough and they're much cheaper/easier to acquire.

>masterrace
Go back to plebbit, please.
>>
>>55849450
They're all in /vr/'s CRT general now, cold-calling hospitals and police station media departments begging for old monitors.
>>
>>55849450
That was like 2008, 8 years ago.
>>
>>55847093

I still use a CRT TV (4:3 curved over both axis) just because I didn't replace it yet.
>>
>>55853739
>curved over both axis
>not even an aperture grille CRT
shig
>>
>>55850094
>vertical pic
god i hate you
>>
superior motion clarity to most TN and IPS panels.
Brighter, deeper blacks. I'd use one as my main monitor if they were more common in larger (19in+) sizes and didnt take so much space on my desk. I still use one as a secondary for emulation though.
>>
>>55847162
drop that that shit off in the recycle center and get a job you neet fuck
>>
>>55854092
Fuck off you piece of shit
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.