[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you think ChromeOS could ever compete with Windows as a desktop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: chromebook.jpg (101KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
chromebook.jpg
101KB, 1024x768px
Do you think ChromeOS could ever compete with Windows as a desktop OS and not just as something for Chromebooks? Personally, I think it could. Google just needs to encourage more native development of apps, and allow people to install applications from third party sources (like how you can on Android). If ChromeOS could be made compatible with regular linux applications for other distributions, that'd be awesome too. The only thing keeping me from switching to Linux full time is muh gaymes, so if Steam could come to ChromeOS that'd be huge in encouraging developers to port their games to linux. I'm afraid Google isn't going to do that though, they're going to keep ChromeOS in their ecosystem and only support Android apps on it.
>>
Loonix is at 2% desktop OS marketshare so the answer is a guaranteed NO. People want to do things beside play angry birds on their laptops and chromebooks with chrome OS simply can't deliver. To add insult to injury 90% of users are running windows so getting them to switch to a crippled desktop OS is impossible.
>>
>>55823563
But ChromeOS is still in the early stages, it can grow to be less crippled.
>>
If Microsoft Office in the cloud ever makes sense for us here in my third world shit hole, I'll have no problem recommending Chrometops or whatever they're called to friends and family who want a Facebook machine but with the occasional Office use.
>>
>>55823662
Switching to Google docs/Word online (or whatever Mircorosft calls it) only is easy, it's the lack of printer drivers on ChromeOS that is a huge barrier to acceptance.
>>
>>55823621
>But ChromeOS is still in the early stages, it can grow to be less crippled.
It will still be worse than Linux, which has 2% desktop OS marketshare. Think about that.
>>
>>55823463
Unlikely. It's biggest issue, is just like with Loonix, the amount of professional software.

Besides, the hardware tends to be ass or overpriced shit. Fucking Pixel doesn't even have a normal storage option.

>>55823763
>Google docs/Word online
Absolute cancer not comparable with Office.

>it's the lack of printer drivers on ChromeOS that is a huge barrier to acceptance.
What the fuck, how is it even possible? Even my phone supports my ghetto ass printer.
>>
>>55823954
Ubuntu can do 99% of the shit normies need to do. Linux's problem is not capability/usability, it's that a major corporation hasn't built an ecosystem around it that is appealing to normies. If Google put their full weight behind it, they could get some decent market share with ChromeOS.
>>
>>55824004
>can do 99% of the shit normies need to do
When it comes to FB and email. No Office makes it basically worthless for normies and don't even bother to push the LibreKek meme. Given that even MacOS needed quite a while to get a decent Office version, while having a bigger market share ... it's unlikely that Google could pull it off.

Also it doesn't have an appealing looking music player and the UI is generally even worse than from old Windows versions.
>>
I'm illiterate about Linux. Would it be possible to make ChromeOS compatible with all the applications for other Linux distributions? Like could you install the Ubuntu software center on ChromeOS?
>>
>>55824143
You could install Ubuntu a chrome book
>>
>>55824062
this
>>
>>55824143
>I'm illiterate about Linux.
You and >99% of desktop users.
Most Linux users are, too.
>>
>>55824062
Google already has an impressive office suite you fuck. They've already completely taken over education and business is next on the chopping block for the chrome os conversion
>>
>>55826235
>Google already has an impressive office
For notes and school projects maybe. It's worthless for anything beyond.
>>
>>55824062
My tech illiterate family uses Google docs without me even telling them about it or having to show them how to use it. A lot of my classmates in college just used Google docs because it's free. Google has already taken a lot of the market from Microsoft. They just need to keep adding features to get parity with Word/Excel/etc for the power users. Maybe they could make a pro version you have to pay for?
>>
File: trash.jpg (79KB, 600x434px) Image search: [Google]
trash.jpg
79KB, 600x434px
i review local restaurants for google maps. I like it because it brings me back and makes me think of the way things used to be in my town.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.