[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is OSX the only viable operating system now? >Windows 10:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 8

File: computer.gif (982KB, 500x373px) Image search: [Google]
computer.gif
982KB, 500x373px
Is OSX the only viable operating system now?

>Windows 10: Botnet maximus, restrictive code
>GNU/Linux: No professional software. irrelevant market share
>>
Windows 7 and debian stable are fine, what you on about shithead?
>>
>>55818327
yep, planing switch to OSX when new macbook pro comes out.
There are no other options left.
>>
>>55818348
>windows 7
>>
>>55818348
>professional software
>>
Depends on what you do. Textwork and research, science and such has plenty applications on Linux suitable for professional use.
>>
Just think about sciDAVIS, nearly indistingushable from origin.
>>
>>55818327
Name ten professional tasks you have tried to do in Linux but failed.
>>
>Be a sysadmin
>Everything I could ever need is on GNU/Linux
Looks like you picked a meme profession.
>>
what does market share have to do with the viability of the operating system?
>>
>OS X
>engineering software
Kek, OS X only has film/music/computer graphics related software, that windows also has
For actual jobs (STEM) it's Windows for engineers, or Linux for comp sci/IT
>>
>>55818544
More users means more support and a larger community to help solve problems, in theory. Realistically, you just need a really autistic community like Arch has and you can get by without a large market share.
>>
>>55818588
Linux is pretty comfy for scientists too.
>>
I'll probably try and get Hackintosh running on my Probook desu
>>
>>55818348
Until 2020, then what?
>>
>>55818327
OSX literary has less games than Linux
>>
>>55818742
then we sit down in our flying cars and take off into the sunset

silly anon
>>
Linux has plenty of "professional software", much of which was used to build the apps you think of when you say software.
>>
>>55818742
I haven't update my Windows 7 machine in a year. Nothing bad happened.
>>
>>55818630
This "in theory" is completely irrelevant when it's already known that more user-friendly systems have less knowledgable users.
>>
I was just saying this earlier today, OS X is literally the only viable OS now. Microshit has totally played itself out, they are at their weakest right now. Apple could do a monster move and release OS X for all computers. They could cloak it with a different name so it has a distinction between the OS they put on their own computers. Give us OS X PC or something, a solid OS with none of Microsoft's bullshit advertising or datamining. I'm sure OS X does it too but to a way lesser degree. On top of everything it's UNIX.

I'm saying this because the market share of Linux is too small. There's a lot of everything for OS X, if it gained a larger marketshare it would most definitely be capable of running all the triple A games, which I guess is the only thing it doesn't do right now.

Apple now is your time to strike for good. Stop making awful iPhone peripherals or woefully designed watches. Bring OS X to everyone and be the next big OS.
>>
>>55818327
is that MAL on the screen
>>
chromebooks will be the new thing. cheap and everything normies need. windows is too expensive for the little amount of shit normies need and apple is a status symbol meant for liberal douche bags to virtue signal.
>>
>>55818742
the dekstop wont exist for non power or business users. Its gonna be everything on phones or tabs.
>>
With HFS+? Not bloody likely.
>>
>>55818327
Linux is better than OSX in every way, just use one of the larger more stable distros like Ubuntu LTS.

Ubuntu > OSX > Windows

Fuck games that don't support linux. Besides Steam is doing a good job of pushing more devs to support linux. Soon any game that matters will.
>>
>>55818588
>Windows for engineers
What engineering application is only on windows? Most if not all of them got their start on the Unix or Linux machines.
>>
>>55818742
In 4 years there will be even better Linux options and games.
>>
OSX would be a good option if it weren't for the lack of official compatibility with non-apple hardware and lack of support for gaymers. Real talk they do this and no one will want to use Windows. No one. Most normies I know hate Windows 10.
>>
>>55818327
>GNU/Linux: No professional software. irrelevant market share
what makes you think that ? maya, cinema4d, eagle, .......
>>
>>55819126
>constantly complains computer is too slow
>repeatedly pics worse and worse hardware

This is why I hate normies.
>>
>>55818742
In 4 years we'll reconsider what to do. We are in 2016.
>>
>>55818588
>Linux for comp sci/IT
I love this meme. For sysadmin it is, but nobody actually uses Linux for development. It's OSX for hipster things like Ruby on Rails and Windows for enterprise development in .NET or Java.
>>
>>55818327
Yes, I'm glad that my hardware turned out to be OS X compatible. OS X is the best thing that happened to my computer after SSD.
I started to dislike Windows with the release of Windows 8, and seeing the changes they made during the last 4 years or so, I came to be disappointed in the OS. There was nothing holding me from switching desu.
>>
>>55819169
macOS Sierra will have AppleFS
>>
>>55820170
>Windows for enterprise development in .NET or Java.
>Windows for ... Java.
Why would any one go through that hell?
>>
Osx is now macOS so that should really let you know where faggle's priorities are
>>
>>55818817
interesting idea.but don't think they have much to gain
>>
>>55820415
Not to mention servers are a thing. I've got a bunch of machines running OS X, none of my data besides the little on the system drives (sans two HFS+-free OS X installs) is on HFS+
>>
>>55820549
OS X has always been aimed only at Macs. What's your point?
>>
>>55818327
OS X is the same botnet like Windows.
kat owner realized it hard way
>>
>>55818327
Run windows in a fucking VM holy shit retard
>>
>>55818775
>no security updates
>>
>>55821969
Is it 2020 already?
>>
>>55821969
>""""""""""security"""""""""""" updates
I'm not going to research every single update they shit out to find out what it actually does. I do all of my actual security sensitive things on my freetard OS.
>>
>>55818498
play games
>>
File: 1464568883898.png (156KB, 1213x636px) Image search: [Google]
1464568883898.png
156KB, 1213x636px
>>55818327
>macshitOS
>viable
>>
>>55819232
and then 1995 came and Microsoft released NT.
>>
>>55818742
India will be superpower by then
>>
>>55818327
>No professional software
Millions of developers and administrators are earning money with free software which makes it professional software.
>>
>>55818742
>>55822213
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl0b2LGf9jM
>>
>>55819291
Literally every single software you listed has better performance under windows.
Why would I deliberately handicap my computer I payed good money for ?
>>
>>55822267
Just because it's free as in free beer.
>>
>>55820415
Not bootable, its preview only.
>>
>>55818327
>Current Year
>Not using Debian or Ubuntu for production
>Utilizing botnet iSoftware
>Paying licensing fees for convenience instead of innovating
For what purpose?
>>
>>55822116
>look mom I posted it again
>>
>>55822350
>For what purpose?
>for convenience

you answered it yourself retard
>>
>>55818362
Enjoy wasting your money on overpriced hardware running a fishur price OS.
>>
>>55822373
>UNIX
>Fishur price

Pic one pajeet.
>>
>>55818327

I think so. I had been planning on upgrading from my T420 to a T460 or possibly that Thinkpad Classic, but now I think I'm going to get a Macbook instead. Might get an iPhone also

>tfw Android user since the G1
>tfw Apple tells FBI to fug off, earns my respek
>>
>>55819216
Ubuntu couldn't even be added to fix Unity in an LTS. They're a joke. The right click function is completely fucked.
>>
>>55822386
Please advice the needful
>>
>>55818498
Develop iOS apps.
Develop GUIs for programs in general (Linux GUI builders are always buggy as shit)
>>
>>55818327
>toddlerOS
>viable
>>
>>55818775
I am the same. I really don't understand understand why people make such a big deal about security updates. 2+ years on 7 SP1 without updates and no issues at all. As long as you're not direct connected to the internet it doesn't matter.
>>
>>55822486
xDDD
>>
>>55818498
Use the current versions of Photoshop and Illustrator.
>>
>>55818498
I had a co-worker that refused to use Windows and only used Linux on his Zenbook. He used Fedora and Gnome 3. Every single day he had to tweak his desktop config because the USB laptop dock he had kept bugging out and swapped his left/right monitors around every time he plugged in. Thunderbird only sometimes synched his Exchange calendar and every other time he opened his Remina RDP client he had to killall the process because the new connection dialog would become unresponsive to input.

He spent half his day fighting his own system, and he finally got terminated after 4 months for "spending too much time working on unrelated projects," such as spending a week setting up a Guacamole server just so that he could deal with RDP better.

Don't get me wrong, I like Linux. I signed up to the windows insider program just so I could get native Bash on Windows as soon as it was announced. But for anyone except a NEET, Linux is too much of a hassle to use on the desktop.
>>
>>55822370
>convenience as a stand-in for innovation
Pajeet pls go.
>>
>>55822511
That sounds like a user error.
Not to say Linux is perfect by any means, but the issues you described are retarded and likely more related to the person behind the screen than the one controlling it. I use Remmina daily and have never once had an issue like that. I do have to work to get some things to function correctly, but I do that at home.
>>
>>55822511
Well I mean that's fedora. Back when I used to run a low-level graphics design company, i jewd out experimentally and got the team a lot of modified elitebooks with Debian installed(I think it was running xfce).

They got plentiful work done with just a simple inkscape, Photoshop with WINE, and megaupload setup.
>>
>>55822511
>this guy gets it
>>
>>55820170
If you aren't in Silicon Valley you're basically irrelevant in terms of programming and engineering and most companies in SV ban Windows use outside of special cases. For example, at Google if you want to use Windows you have to get special permission and it is never allowed outside of testing.

Paul Graham, Ycombinator and a lot of venture capitalist firms have also gone on record saying that using Windows is a huge red flag and they typically won't invest in companies that build on Windows or .NET. Even Spolsky has said the same.
>>
>>55822511
>He used Fedora
What kind of moron uses fedora for production? That's what stable/LTS distros are for.

>But for anyone except a NEET, Linux is too much of a hassle to use on the desktop.
Top cuck. I've been using Debian in production for almost a decade. There's nothing more hassle free than Linux in the hands of a professional. NEETs and gaymerfags use windows and osx.
>>
File: i-dunno-lol.png (74KB, 499x362px) Image search: [Google]
i-dunno-lol.png
74KB, 499x362px
>>55818742
For all we know, WWIII is in full swing by that time, and we'll have actual problems instead of PCs.
>>
>>55822511
works on my machine
>>
>>55822511
Well come to think of it, sometimes when I start Firefox, it messes up and only shows half the browser. after restarting Firefox it works. But that's not an issue because I only open Firefox once a day, and this will happen only maybe half the time.
I also have issues with Skype sometimes where a call starts but then the "X is calling" pop up never goes away.
And Flux bugs out and doesn't properly dim the screen when it gets dark outside.

But honestly, Windows isn't bug free either. My favorite windows bug is "explorer.exe has stopped working", or really anything has stopped working, followed by the bug when you close Firefox and try to open it again, but it says Firefox is already running. And then you look at the task manager and see the process never closed properly.
None of those bugs have happened to me on Windows
>>
>>55822698
None of those bugs have ever happened to me on Linux, I meant.

And the first paragraph is about me using Linux. The second paragraph is about Windows.
I suck at writing long posts.
>>
>>55822740
>I can't articulate myself
Average Linux user. :^)
>>
>>55822062
>professional
>play games
>mom go away you faggot I'm about to join faze with this noscope
>>
File: dzCVukfg.png (988KB, 680x1017px) Image search: [Google]
dzCVukfg.png
988KB, 680x1017px
Make a batch file with teh following and open it as admin in win7. It uninstalls every win update involved in the forced win10 microsoft rape update.

pastebin DOT com SLASH 6ZhMzzpT

Next paste - contents of the hosts file so you can block all telemetry and other microshit shenanigans. File is in sys_partition\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

just edit with notepad/wordpad. paste the following:

Warning. The list also contains every domain facebook uses for their rampant faggotry (and afiliates - instagram etc)

pastebin DOT com SLASH TMVGYnuN
>>
File: 1458144733101.png (389KB, 770x900px) Image search: [Google]
1458144733101.png
389KB, 770x900px
>>55818327
>iBotnet shit
>viable
>>
>>55822750
It's partly because English isn't my native language. I'm originally from India, but I moved to London last year.
>>
>>55822825
Shouldn't you be using Microsoft™® Windows™® 10™® then? Have the /g/ memes liedto me?
>>
>>55818327
You can't ever completely disable windows 10 telemetry.
Microsoft is actively pushing towards making this ever harder to do as well - see the recent group policy change (which really insidiously simply ignores user settings altogether, without notifying the user in any way) for example.
You should not support this operating system.
>>
>>55822851
video games invalidate all arguments
windows has video games
i will use windows no matter what
video games
>>
>>55822870
play your video games on windows 7 then
c:
>>
File: 1466497956825.png (227KB, 704x783px) Image search: [Google]
1466497956825.png
227KB, 704x783px
>>55818327
>OSX 10.1984
>viable operating system
>>
>>55822918
windows 7 also has telemetry but idc

video games
>>
>>55819216
Jewbuntu is even worse than Windows. Enjoy your personalized ads, goy.
>>
>>55822983
Ubuntu 16.04 doesn't have ads
>>
File: whatiswine.webm (2MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
whatiswine.webm
2MB, 1920x1200px
>>55822498

i know they aren't the current versions, but they are good enough
>>
File: 1468209860828.jpg (19KB, 500x340px) Image search: [Google]
1468209860828.jpg
19KB, 500x340px
>>55822983
>Hears Ubuntu has ads
>Avoids it by installing Windows 10 instead
>>
>>55822851
/g/ doesn't need new copypastas
>>
>>55823033
>CS2
>11 years old
>older than some of the people on this site
>>
Linux is getting more relevant, but still a long way to go, and the operating systems themselves, or rather the DEs tend to have a slightly unfinished, unpolished feel.

That said i might dump Win10 on my HTPC and put Linux on there instead as an experiment.
>>
>>55823033
They're really not
Thread posts: 97
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.