[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is my daily driver for a few months now. Going well. Installed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 13

This is my daily driver for a few months now. Going well. Installed in like ten minutes. Should I even stress myself out installing Arch Linux?
>>
File: 1450839446881.jpg (45KB, 652x362px) Image search: [Google]
1450839446881.jpg
45KB, 652x362px
>>55812408
>1024x768
>>
is this the new desktop thread
>>
>>55812419
Just a screen from google dummy.

>>55812421
Yes
>>
If you like it why bother?
>>
>>55812408
If you want the professional feeling, install Fedora.
>>
>>55812408
First install antergos
>>
File: 1410982368303.jpg (54KB, 368x381px) Image search: [Google]
1410982368303.jpg
54KB, 368x381px
>>55812837
Bantergos?

ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING

If one goes into Arch then install the correct one.

Fucking peasant
>>
>MATE

Disgusting
>>
>>55812408
It depends what you want to do with it, OP.

If you're someone that likes the bleeding edge and wants to be trendy (Like me) then yeah go for it, you can use something that will make it easier for you, like ArchAnywhere. It's an installer that basically takes you through the installation process in an interactive way, and makes it WAYYYY easier.
>>
File: b0d.png (115KB, 289x457px) Image search: [Google]
b0d.png
115KB, 289x457px
>>55812876
ay fuck you man
>>
If you feel like fucking around. Arch can be fun if you have the time for it and find tinkering fun. Otherwise, if you want something that Just Werks (TM) stay with Ubuntu or Debian.
>>
>mfw archfags spend literally years to configure their shitty distro to look like ubuntu
>>
OP, just stay with Ubuntu MATE. It's super comfy and it's a good daily driver. I'd suggest switching to arch only if you want to spend some time tinkering.
>>
I was bored one afternoon and I tried installing Arch just to see how difficult it would be (im windowsfag), and if you follow wiki you really have to be a gem to fuck it up. Sure it's easier to click next next next finish, but installing arch should be a no brainer for anyone remotely familiar with shell.
>>
>>55812421
the desktop thread moved to /wg/ since a while
>>
>>55812408
Don't listen to the "configuring Arch takes hour so don't do it", OP.
It really depends on what you want to do.
If you're fine with what you have then stay this way.

But to me, one of the best advantages of Linux over something like MacOS X and Windows is the freedom of trying out everything.

I used Ubuntu, Debian, Arch Linux, Fedora, etc. etc.
Why?
Because I wanted to try and learn.
Arch Linux is my favourite because I think it gives you the most out of your freedom.
Yes, you need to configure it and yes, it takes its time.
There is a Arch linux wiki (https://wiki.archlinux.org/) if you need any help.
On the other hand, Arch Linux installes nothing but a commandline and the true basic components every system needs to at least run.
I LOVE being able to do everything by myself, because I love being able to decide which software gets to be used on my computer.

When I install Arch Linux, I am free to chose every little bit of software that runs on my computer.
Nothing is pre-installed (because pre-installed stuff is like not to be used by me).

It teaches you what is necessary, what is nice to have and what is just wasting space.
>>
File: 1443568742947.jpg (49KB, 640x626px) Image search: [Google]
1443568742947.jpg
49KB, 640x626px
>>55812876
>>
>>55812408
install antergos or manjaro it's linux with an installer
>>
>>55813387
You're able to do the same with the netinstall for any distribution. Feeling special for using Arch makes you autistic.
>>
>>55813414
I don't know if that's irony or low knowledge.

FYI Linux is a kernel, Debian is GNU/Linux, Archlinux is GNU/Linux, Slackware is GNU/Linux, Red Hat is GNU/Linux, as is Linux Mint.

Manjaro is a cluttered and buggy piece of crap which delays package updates to make sure it's stable while adding their own buggy shit on everything (for the record a friend of mine told me yesterday he couldn't put a custom alert for KDE, that's not important at all but there are hundreds of bugs like that in Manjaro which just kill it).
>>
>>55813454
Shit I meant to write it's arch with a graphical installer
>>
>>55812408
Arch is a nice introduction to computing in general with config files customization, however if you don't care or/and if you're short on time (to see friends, do your studies – for God's sake don't take notes with your laptop –) stay with Linux Mint.

I don't regret the time I've spent on Archlinux because it may help me become an engineer, but in my specific case I should've installed it 5 years ago to get good marks which would've been great to get accepted in an engineer school. If that's your user case you're either underage or a genius who's 5 years ahead of his classmates.
>>
>>55813466
Sorry for the mistake, I hope you didn't get offended (I didn't mean to insult you by saying you could show low knowledge).

What I'm saying about Manjaro, which I've also used, is still my opinion.
>>
>>55813431
I do not know netinstall.
Do you have to do anything yourself with the use of this application?
I like to use ArchLinux because I HAVE to do stuff myself.
Also, I like the rolling release system Arch uses.

There is always more than 1 reason to something, do not forget this.

And I do not feel special for using Arch.
It is an operating system, just like there are 100s.
I do not shit on ppl using windows or any other OS besides Arch, but it is my favourite.
>>
>>55812860
This
>>
File: randomId.png (16KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
randomId.png
16KB, 200x200px
If you (want to) know how Linux works, arch is a good way to learn it. If you are not curious about your bg processes or open connections you will most likely setup a crappy system with backdoors (a la win95). You have to read a lot of docu until you reach topics like dnscrypt or iptables.

But beware, arch is like choosing the red pill.
>>
>>55813870
>arch is like choosing the red pill

THIS EXACTLY
>>
>>55814490
Using arch i will be stupid like the /pol/acks?
>>
>>55813870
>if you want to learn to use linux, use arch
wat? arch is for experienced users. Start with ubuntu, or mint. Ubuntu is better for learning since you have to install a lot more of your own packages than mint though. I didn't know jack about linux and after a year of ubuntu I moved to debian, then 6 months later I had arch
>mfw I didn't delete any of them
>mfw I also have windows for games
>mfw I have a quad-booted computer
>>
>>55814606
I don't go on /pol/ and that's for a good reason, so I don't really know.

So far they're a bunch of conspiracy theorists mixed up with antisemits/racists etc. and /g/ cancer.
>>
>>55812408
Arch isn't stressful. It is easy as fuck to use.

So is Gentoo. Install it instead. All arguments for Arch over *buntu apply doubly to Gentoo.
>>
>>55812408
If you already have something that you like, what's the point in switching?

I have Arch because I didn't like Ubuntu, but if you like it, keep on keepin on muh nigguh
>>
Arch is literally the opposite of minimal and choice.
https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html

What debian does that arch does not:
- Allows you to modify package dependencies (google dpkg-deb)
- Packages are split up more (ex. On debian you can just install libvlc, on arch you have to install all of vlc.)
- More support
- Offers stable, testing and unstable, instead of arch where there is only unstable

Things arch offers debian doesn't:
- Simple package manager (less features)

Why even use arch over debian minimal?
>>
>>55812408
No you don't need Arch. You can do anything with any Linux distro. Ubuntu and Debian have the biggest communities and support. Most people who use the 'arcane' distros eventually switch to a custom Debian, mint, or flavor of ubu
>>
>>55813454
It's linux not gnu/linux you idiot
>>
>>55817687
I bleed debian
>>
>>55812408
Don't bother with arch, but you might want a different desktop environment
>>
Debian Unstable + Openbox/i3 is all you will ever need
>>
>>55812408
Install Manjaro
>>
>>55817687
This.

Debian > Arch
>>
>>55821926
In terms of BPS (bugs encountered per second), you betcha.
>>
I'm on Arch. I know that MATE is not so updated in the official repositories. You can find the latest version in AUR but I don't know how well it works. I think Antergos or Manjaro keep it updated.
>>
>>55817812
Why? What's the point in Debian Unstable? If you want rolling release, why not just use Arch? I mean, are there any actual upsides to using Debian Unstable?
>>
>>55822471
This. I think the upside is easy installation, I suppose there is a GUI for it .
>>
>>55822377
kek this
>>
>>55813140
wew lad
#pacman -Syu kde-applications-meta plasma-desktop
so hard took me ages
>>
>>55812408
why do you like using DE straight from the 90s?

Look how much waste time just to get to a fucking program jesus. on windows you just press a button and type and unlike unity's dash search on windows actually works
>>
>>55822533
At least it gets updated and you don't have to reinstall every 6 months.
>>
>>55822544
Windows is a commercial OS, Microsoft care more about advertisers. Stop recommending it. I used 10 and it's not bad, it's shit.
>>
>>55822544
> on windows you just press a button and type and unlike unity's dash search on windows actually works
Did your brain stop working, faggot?
>>
File: 1469640906261.jpg (15KB, 501x585px) Image search: [Google]
1469640906261.jpg
15KB, 501x585px
>>55822579
pirate it you dumb fuck

you can turn off any ads
and for the spying: stop being interesting/ or a fucking pedo you fucking pedo, and no one will give a shit about your data

also cute that you think linux protects you from spying in any way. Unless you're Stallman that doesn't use any of the popular sites/services, you're getting spied on so it literally doesn't make sense to hate on win10 for that.

And when it comes to performance, it works better and quicker that Ubuntu does on my shit PC. I remember before when I would install Ubuntu because it worked so much faster on my shitty PCs, and now the situation is completely opposite.

>>55822605
why?

search in unity's dash is shit, it half works and it's slow as shit, compared to win10 start search that works fast and is precise
>>
>>55822628
>why
Because Grammar is not your strong point.

Search in Unity's dash works fine once you learn how to use it properly, Unity can't fix your mental retardation. Furthermore Unity's search is not the only search linux distros have. Lurk more before posting, newfag
>>
>>55822628
I used Windows 10 last week. It sometimes shit itself. I hate when it gets updated and turning it off takes 20-30 minutes, WINDOWS IS GETTING READY. No problems with Linux, boots fast as fuck, I don't need antikekvirus, updates are fast. I don't need Windows on my laptop, I don't see the point.
>>
File: 1469567425054.jpg (509KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1469567425054.jpg
509KB, 900x900px
>>55822676
hahah that buttmad damage control

get two same computers, one with win10 and the other with ubuntu

press super and start typing the name of any program, or a file on the computer, I will bet my balls that win10 search will always work faster and that ubuntu half the time will return nothing because it's shit

>>55822685
newst ubuntu literally boots in 30 seconds on my PC, win10 (with hibernation turned off) 14 sec.

Never got any of those forceful updates, or blue screens. In fact I have never in my life seen a blue screen of death while using Windows. What do you people do with your computers to fuck them that badly jesus. Learn to use it properly before shitting on it.

You don't see a point in using something clearly better and faster in place of something worse and slower? Yeah I can't see the point in that too...
>>
>>55813070
openSUSE is also a great option (codecs not included but available with packman repo)
>>
>>55822739
Stop telling me about Ubuntu, I know it's shit. I use Arch with Xfce and systemd-boot.
>>
>>55822739
0.01 rupees were deposited in your account sir rajesh.
>>
File: hayden-panettiere-getty1.jpg (298KB, 870x657px) Image search: [Google]
hayden-panettiere-getty1.jpg
298KB, 870x657px
>>55822771
you do know that literally 19 million out of those 20 million ubuntu users are from india? look any tutorial regarding linux or ubuntu, all by poos
>>
>>55812408
I used to use Arch but since i had to reinstall it and reconfigure it too many times i just switched to Debian

I still have to get rid of 1k+ package bloat though.
>>
>>55822790
Damn Hayden is so hot. I like what she did in Until Dawn.
>>
File: 1469785568900.jpg (46KB, 652x362px) Image search: [Google]
1469785568900.jpg
46KB, 652x362px
>>55812419
>GNOME
>Ubuntu
>>
>>55812876
>MATE

Delicious.
>>
>>55822811
Mr Robot was better in Until Dawn, he stole the fucking show with that scene where he goes crazy
>>
>>55822824
Why are the animations in GNOME so laggy? Especially then one when you want to see the applications. Who the fuck thought it was a good idea
>>
File: 1325698741672.jpg (68KB, 451x588px) Image search: [Google]
1325698741672.jpg
68KB, 451x588px
If you are going to be trying out distros, then why not do it via VM you stupid fucking idiot?
>>
>>55822849
He was good. I watched Mr. Robot before the Until Dawn gameplay, I was surprised seeing him there.
>>
>>55822864
YOLO. Also I wanted to install Gentoo in. Virtualbox and I never could. Some problem about the CPU, I researched so much. If you want to learn, fuck up things.
>>
I installed Ubuntu MATE 2 days ago. Liking it quite a bit so far. Is there any must have software I should download? Only problems I've ran into so far is the window management seems to occasionally go kind of weird and doesn't respond to my clicks, think it might be due to my dock. Is docky a shit?
>>
>>55813499
Bullshit. When I started using arch, I made more friends and did better in school because I stopped playing vidya and would sometimes get so frustrated with arch that I would ragequit the computer and do other shit.

but once you get used to it, it is easy as fuq.
>>
>>55824078
This. Until I installed Arch, I was distrohopping like fuck. Very happy with it, never had problems from updates.
>>
>>55823470
>window management seems to occasionally go kind of weird and doesn't respond to my clicks,
Two possible causes I can think of:
- You're using a GTK3 version of mate. GTK3 has had a bug since its inception that has never been addressed which is that pressing controls sometimes doesn't work or bugs out in various ways depending on the control (tabs don't respond, selection boxes appear and instantly disappear, etc.)
- There is a bug when using the "remember led settings" option of mate which makes mate-settings-deamon use up 100% CPU intermittently. This can become a major issue that requires a reboot if you are unlucky. Disable that option in gconf-editor ASAP.

Of course, when in doubt, blame systemd.

>Is there any must have software I should download?
Kupfer, guake, and a real vim.
>>
>>55824336
Thanks
>>
>>55813870
>random
That doesn't look too random, how did you generate that?
>>
>>55822377
>debiana stable
>bugs
kill yourself
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.