[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking to switch to a linux distro now that win10 is removing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 9

File: 250px-Tux_Racer_Cover.jpg (12KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-Tux_Racer_Cover.jpg
12KB, 250x250px
Looking to switch to a linux distro now that win10 is removing the all apps from start menu. Yeah there's more to my want to change but the anniversary update has just pushed me over the edge.
Could I get a good distro recomendation? I tried ubuntu years ago, but it was absolute rubbish. I also couldn't figure out wine, but that might've just been because I wasn't that good with computers back then.
Basically what's the most windows linux I can switch to, that's the least painful? Maybe even one with built in, or at least a simple way to run windows software?
Thanks in advance.
>>
>>55790386
Linux Mint is quite painless
>>
>>55790422
I've seen some people mention it before. I'll look into it. Thanks.
>>
>>55790386
zorin os
>>
>>55790386
What's your hardware like? Mint is really only good if you have Nvidia. They have a bad track record when it comes to keeping their AMD drivers up to date. Plus they have a rather bad record on security that makes me not want to recommend them.

One of the other actually official Ubuntu derivatives, Ubuntu Gnome, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, etc might be a better option but you would still need to update every six months and/or make use of unofficial packages to keep up to date.

Antergos might be something to look into.
>>
Mint, Ubuntu (any distro other than the regular one), Manjaro, and Antergos are good 'just werks' distros.
>>
>>55790483
Well. I'm a poorfag, so what I'm running is a mediocre HP Pavilion laptop. It gets the job done for what I want though, until I'm done saving for my next pc.
Here's it's specs.
>>
Debian for a seemless transfer
>>
>>55790568
You should probably avoid Mint like the plague then until they get their act together. The latest version is ok now, but I wouldn't expect them to go beyond Mesa 11.2 / OpenGL 4.1 support until the next major update in 2018.

The good news though is that graphics hardware should be well supported on just about any distribution with an up to date version of the Linux kernel and Mesa.
>>
>>55790897
Gotcha. Thanks. I might go ahead and try Debian like >>55790580 said. All's I need is to run windows stuff on it and I'm good. That and drivers for my stuff to work.
>>
>>55790386
Ubuntu is probably best. Mint used to be good but I keep hearing how it fell to shit recently. Debian's ok but has driver issues and dev problems.
>not using Hannah Montana Linux
>>
>>55790920
Debian may also be problematic for you if you run stable as its still on the old Mesa 10.3.

'Unstable' will get you Mesa 11.2 (same as Ubuntu 16.04) while it takes 'Experimental' to get latest Mesa 12.0.

This is kind of a big deal right now because Mesa, the open source OpenGL stack has been making huge strides lately in feature support and performance with Mesa 12 to be superseded by Mesa 13 with full OpenGL 4.5 support this fall.
>>
File: 1469329066571.jpg (88KB, 970x617px)
1469329066571.jpg
88KB, 970x617px
>>55791036
>It's real
http://hannahmontana.sourceforge.net/
Man Linux is weird as fuck.
>>
>>55790386
Try Debian with KDE.
>>
File: FXpOv4A.png (148KB, 1920x953px) Image search: [Google]
FXpOv4A.png
148KB, 1920x953px
>Not using Aloonix
>>
>>55790386
what windows software? there's never a guarantee when it comes to running windows software on linux (and vice versa)
>>
>>55790386
Yo I forgot about Tux Racer I remember my dad installed that for me and my brothers when I was little
>>
File: notdoge.jpg (87KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
notdoge.jpg
87KB, 540x540px
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you: want a change from windows, tried Ubuntu, hated it. I've looked into kubuntu and I'm installing it sometime later to test from usb.
>>
>>55790386
>now that win10 is removing the all apps from start menu
Huhwhat ? Since when ? Source ?
>>
I just installed fedora today because apparently it's faster than Ubuntu. Once you change to something other than gnome it's great.
>>
>>55791296
They're removing it and replacing the button by just listing all the apps when you open the start menu. That and there's no more search; it's just forced cortana now.
>>
>>55790386
Hey man, glad you're willing to give Linux another go, welcome aboard.

Just wanna give you some advice. You mentioned WINE. I just want you to know that WINE is your best bet of running Windows programs on Linux, and it's pretty hit-and-miss. Meaning, it's not very good for most programs.

Please approach Linux with an open mind and realize that it is a completely different operating system. Expecting it to run Windows software with no issues whatsoever is like putting a PS4 disk in an Xbox (an extreme example, but you get the point).

Ubuntu and all of its flavors (Xubuntu, Kubuntu, etc.) are pretty good newbie-friendly distros. So is Mint. I think Mint nails the "Windows" look better than the other distros because it comes prepackaged with the Cinnamon DE, but you can install Cinnamon in any Linux distro with relative ease.
>>
File: Screenshot (44).png (58KB, 336x984px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (44).png
58KB, 336x984px
>>55791382
Oh you're talking about this cosmetic change to the start menu that doesn't really change how it works. Okay.
Here's a spoiler for you: Ever since you upgraded to Windows 10, you've been using Cortana to search. You might have disabled her getting to know you and the personality stuff, but it is still Cortana's search engine at work nonetheless. Functionally it's the same as it's always been.

Nothing's changed in that regard, and removing that one button is purely cosmetic.
>>
>>55791280
What didn't you like about Ubuntu? You'll probably have the same issues with Kubuntu, since it's just Ubuntu with a different interface.
>>
>>55791457
I just want to leave win10 and the new FORCED update is enough of a reason for me. I just don't want to see changes that I don't get to choose.
>>
>>55790920
>run windows stuff
like?
>>
>>55791110
>http://hannahmontana.sourceforge.net/
>>
File: 1469667468129.png (355KB, 506x436px) Image search: [Google]
1469667468129.png
355KB, 506x436px
>>55791752
PS CS6, steam vidya, emulators, etc.
>>
>>55790422
>>55790431
Fuck, stop recommending that pile of garbage. There is much much better options. Like, literally ANYTHING ELSE.
>>
>>55790897
When will other distros get OpenGL 4.2? LLVM needs to be 3.9 but when will that happen? I use arch and WoW doesn't work anymore since the legion expansion because it needs opengl 4.2 whicih no distro supports yet. I want to play WoW but I don't want to use windows.
>>
>>55791667
Fair enough, I just want you to understand that the particular changes you're complaining about don't change your workflow at all.

That said, Linux distributions are mostly all the same, with the exception of default configurations and package managers. For example, the only thing that makes Arch less "newbie-friendly" than, say, Mint is that it doesn't have a GUI installer.
I'd recommend openSUSE simply because YaST is awesome, though. If you want a "Windows-like" experience, you probably want to go with either KDE, Cinnamon, Xfce, or MATE.

When it comes to running Windows software, it highly depends on what you intend to run. For instance, if you plan on running video games that require DirectX 10 or later, good fucking luck. The best way to accomplish this """on Linux""" is through a virtual machine utilizing PCI-e passthrough with a dedicated graphics card, since WINE cannot do anything later than DirectX 9.
>>
>>55791818
GNU/Linux has enough good emulators natively, though.
>>
>>55791818
Most emulators are native. About a quarter of all Steam games are native with about 40% of the top 1000 games on Steam on Linux. You might need to run Windows stuff less than you think.
>>
>>55791896
It should be mentioned that many of the AAA ports are nvidia only. They're all done by the same company of lazy faggots.
>>
>>55791871
Ah fuck. Well, that kinda sucks then. I kinda need DX. Maybe I'll go for a dual boot solution; keep the vidya for win10, and files and browsing to Linux.
>>
>>55791866
There are ways to get more up to date versions of Mesa and LLVM on most distributions, but I wouldn't expect to see OpenGL 4.3 out of the box on Ubuntu without upgrading to 16.10, and I wouldn't count on seeing it in Mint until 2018.

>>55791916
Fewer than you'd think actually. Most of the games that were Nvidia-only were just not supporting the Catalyst driver. Now that Catalyst is dead those games are running well on the open driver stack and the requirements for some of the games have been updated to note that. The exceptions are games like Shadow of Mordor and Alien Isolation which still need very up to date versions of Mesa and LLVM, and the Saint's Row games which for whatever reason are still unplayable due to poor performance.
>>
>>55791921
What is it you want to play that requires DirectX 10+?
>>
>>55791921
Solution = 2SSD's

0:Linux w/ grub2
1:Winds
>>
https://rbt.asia/g/thread/S55488184#p55502261

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads

/thread
>>
>>55790386
>Basically what's the most windows linux I can switch to, that's the least painful?
You want something with LXDE or LXQt.

Don't be put off by the theme of Lubuntu if check it out, it's not that pretty IMO. But it can be easily fixed by selecting Adwaita and Breeze icons for example. Also Compton.
>>
>>55791549
I didn't like how the icons were on the left and how some little things like sound and video playback were off. Idk probably just my craptop but I've only tested it for a couple days. Just installed kubuntu and I like the interface a lot more but I'm still learning it.
>>
Linux Mint + WINE + PlayOnLinux (a WINE frontend) is probably your best bet. It's pretty much windows in Linux form
>>
Any Ubuntu fork. Dual boot. Trust me.
>>
>>55793177
Learn the command line; it really throws it all together tho and sets you up to explore other distros. If OP isn't willing, stay a wincucked.
>>
>>55791843
>ANYTHING ELSE
New poster to this thread here. No. 'Anything else' is definitely not a good plan. There are likely better options than mint for different things but for someone that has a machine that would take win10, and is new to linux, mint is a pretty good option. Took me about an hour to have it up and running including the time to learn to use it. It's pretty easy and useful. Looking into other distros as a result of it.
>>
>>55790386
tux racer is one of the few apps youll have in linux mate. get used to it.
>>
>>55790386
You could install Q4OS (based on Debian) and get this theme for Trinity to make it look like Windows: https://sourceforge.net/projects/xpq4/
>>
>>55790568
>96 degrees celcius
holy shit anon, buy a cooling pad or something. Also use K10Stat and undervolt your cpu or else this shit is going to burn through your table/pants.

Btw, don't fall for the Arch meme.
>>
File: 1469657027552.webm (970KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1469657027552.webm
970KB, 480x480px
>>55790446
only correct answer
>>
I tried Fedora and Mint live versions, had keyboard mapping and sound issues couldn't figure out how to fix them in Fedora, did it in 2 minutes in Mint.
I see Fedora also has a cinnamon spin, should I give it another go, since Mint is apparently shit?
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.