[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /g/, I'm completely ignorant about electricity, don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

File: lightbulbpop.png (18KB, 1648x803px) Image search: [Google]
lightbulbpop.png
18KB, 1648x803px
Hi /g/, I'm completely ignorant about electricity, don't even know if this is the right board but here it goes...
why does a normal lightbulb connected to a outlet pops as soon it's connected? pic related
>>
Safety feature to prevent you from poking metal objects into the socket.
>>
It doesn't, asking as you connect it properly.
>>
>>55783637
but why when i connect a normal plug that goes to a lightbulb it doesn't explode? I mean, if i plug a normal lamp and turn it on it doesn't pop
>>
>>55783606
one wire needs to go to the side, not the bottom
>>
>>55783606
Take a video.
>>
File: lightbulbpop.png (16KB, 1648x803px) Image search: [Google]
lightbulbpop.png
16KB, 1648x803px
>>55783751
you mean like this?
>>
>>55783798
you got it!
>>
File: 3Way_Bulb_Contacts.jpg (162KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
3Way_Bulb_Contacts.jpg
162KB, 1024x768px
>>55783806
for reference
>>
>>55783806
and it shouldn't pop right? could you please tell me why? i'm sorry to ask, but as i said i'm ignorant in electricity...
>>
>>55783839
if you look at the picture you see 3 points where you can add a wire. most bulbs only have 2: the side and the one on the end. so assume the low and medium wattage shizzle is only one contact point. I have no idea why it would pop if you connect the two wires to the same point, as essentially that's a short and your circuit breaker should go off, not the lamp. maybe you're using a bulb that's not meant to plug in straight to the socket, but one that needs a transformer?
>>
>>55783875
when i plugged it like in my first picture the circuit breaker went off but the lightbulb also popped... i've checked if it's compatible with the socket and it is... it is probably like you said, i've just checked my other lamp and the lightbulb is connected on the end AND the"lateral" part.. anyway, thank you for your explanation anon, it was very clear
>>
File: 1468795484682.gif (486KB, 387x368px) Image search: [Google]
1468795484682.gif
486KB, 387x368px
>>55783875
You're right about the last part. OP is asking why a lightbulb plugged straight into the wall pops but one in a lamp plugged into the wall doesn't. To answer his question, it's because the lightbulb plugged into the wall has too much voltage/charge flowing through it. However, the lamp contains a transformer that reduces the voltage/charge to a level that the lightbulb can handle.
>>
>>55783981
>However, the lamp contains a transformer that reduces the voltage/charge to a level that the lightbulb can handle

oh NOW i've got it! it's because of the reducer! so if i were to put a reducer in the circuit i've drawin in the second picture it wouldn't explode?
>>
>>55783825
Why did you post a 3-way bulb? That's only going to confuse people.
>>
>>55783981
>>55784017

lamps do not have transformers in. standard bulbs connect directly to mains (says 240 or 120V on top).

OPs bulb must be some retarded thing or he's connecting it in some retarded way. how can you even fuck this up, are you like holding the wires on or what
>>
>>55784123
i held them just like in my first pic, i will try with the methods they told me and see
>>
>>55784176
post pic of the text on the bulb and pic of the connector
>>
File: FormulaWheelElectronics.gif (8KB, 341x320px) Image search: [Google]
FormulaWheelElectronics.gif
8KB, 341x320px
OP is retarded. Standard lightbulbs connect directly to main at 120V (in north america) and draw current according to their resistance. So if you have a 60W 120V lightbulb, it will draw 0.5A, and must have a resistance of 240Ω.
>>
>>55783606
If you connect the wires to the same terminal or connection, you're creating a short. It's the same thing as connecting the two wires to each other, the bulb doesn't even matter in this case.
>>
and OP never replied

OP died
>>
>>55784272
But when the filament of a lightbulb is at room temperature, the resistance is noticeably lower. It is a highly non-linear device.
>>
>>55784844
>>
>>55784844
good show tho
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.