[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What code language should I learn? C#, C++, Java, JavaScript,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 8

File: image.jpg (525KB, 738x492px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
525KB, 738x492px
What code language should I learn? C#, C++, Java, JavaScript, Python, PHP, or Ruby/Rails?
>>
Python. Always Python for the first language in my opinion. Try learnpythonthehardway.com. Even if someone disagrees you might as well give it a shot instead of just wondering what to learn first. Eventually you'll move on to other languages so now is a good time to get the basics of programming under your belt.
>>
>>55780255
JavaScript or C-like
>>55780311
Please anything but python
>>
Tcl. Good community, no code of conduct, people getting shit done.
>>
Python or C++.
>>55780323
Fuck off
>>
Why do you want to learn a language? Job? For fun?

You could choose a paradigm to stick to as within them and even between them they tend to have interchangeable ideas and structures.

Personally to start with i tried lpthw.com before doing a 2 year course and ended up doing Delphi before going to university and moving onto C#, C++. So what >>55780311 said is spot on.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter; a programming language is the toolbox, not the mechanic. If its for improving job prospects and maybe a different career then look at how popular they are, otherwise just go balls deep.
>>
Haskell.
>>
>>55780255
Anything but PHP, Python and Java. It's very hard to undo the brain damage that these atrociously designed languages cause.
>>
>>55780255
Pretty much all of them.
C/C++ is a must for every programmer, probably even Java, but if you don't like it, learn C#. JS is also important since not only web uses it, but it's also widely used on the desktop for GUI. You should also know at least one scripting language, so I'd choose Python. PHP and Ruby are optional unless you want to do web.
>>
>>55781822
PHP and Java I can understand, but Python has a FAR lower badness level. If you can recommend C in good conscience, you should likewise be able to recommend Python.
>>
File: me.gif (2MB, 425x481px) Image search: [Google]
me.gif
2MB, 425x481px
>write C code
>save it as C++
>claim expertise in both languages
>>
>>55780255

Go.

Then after that any of the following:

Python, Lua, Swift
>>
C++, Python, JavaScript
>>
if you want a JOB

you "learn" one language but really you are learning programming syntax, style, logic, etc.

I learnt C for my first language but what that really means is that, given a week or two, I can write C++, C#, Perl, Java, etc. In a little longer I could learn something like HTML or PHP.So I can apply for more jobs and get a better one.

so don't take PHP, javascript, lua, or anything niche/unique. I would recommend C++/C#
>>
>>55783523
Sometimes I feel it's better to learn Project Euler by heart than any language for getting a job
>>
>>55783523
>PHP, javascript
>niche
those languages are pretty much overused.
Javascript is literally everywhere on the web
>>
>>55780255
C++. Teaches you about the compilation process (if you don't just use your IDE as a crutch), great standard libraries so you don't have to reinvent any wheels if you don't want to, and clear syntax.
People complain about it, but it's probably the best general language for both learning and practical use.
>>
>>55780323
Python's fine for beginners, as long as you don't fall for the interpreted languages meme.
>>
>>55781773
>>55783459
M E M E L A N G U A G E S
>>
>>55783523
>so don't take PHP, javascript, lua, or anything niche/unique. I would recommend C++/C#
This, though I'd also name Java as a candidate. Pick a proven, mature language with a big community and good tooling. New languages like Go are interesting and worth checking out once you know enough to appreciate the reasons they exist, but start with something stable if you actually want a job.

And please try learn at least general VCS concepts before you get a job. Few of our new hires and none of the fresh graduates know ANYTHING about SVN or git and it makes working with them a fucking nightmare when the end of an increment rolls around. If I had any control over our hiring process, that'd be one of my first interview questions.
>>
>>55780255
C++ and then later (when you know what's going on) python. The rest are trash.
>>
>>55785789
>python
>not trash
Python is fine if you don't care enough about consistency to be bothered by the fact that its documentation is absolute dogshit. Even Javascript (via Mozilla) is better.

Did you know that their official response to such criticisms is literally "well who needs good documentation when you've got IRC and Google :^)"? It's like they regard their own fucking language as a toy.
>>
>>55785689
>as long as you don't fall for the interpreted languages meme
You think it's better to fall for the compiled languages meme?
>>
>>55780255
C# in visual studio with resharper. Anything else is nigger tier.
>>
File: go-gopher3.png (33KB, 400x214px) Image search: [Google]
go-gopher3.png
33KB, 400x214px
>>55780255
Learn golang.
>>55783459
This nigga, right here.
>>
>>55786079
> using windows ever

Everyone outside of SV should be banned from talking about technology.
>>
>>55780255
>code language
what with the retardation overflow today?

>>55783432
kek
>>
>>55785873
>Python is fine if you don't care enough about consistency to be bothered by the fact that its documentation is absolute dogshit

I like Lua better than Python but it's good enough for quick throwaway scripts.
>>
>>55788089
jesus christ. you are fucking clueless m8
>>
>>55780255
if you want a job most quickly learn javascript
>>
>>55785959
Interpreted languages is for mathematicians, not for anyone who cares about going into computer science or software engineering.
>>
>>55783573
Same here family
>>
File: 1422744673867.jpg (90KB, 568x608px) Image search: [Google]
1422744673867.jpg
90KB, 568x608px
>>55790444
Seriously, if you like using windows, you're a slave. Period.
>>
Javascript sucks, but it is literally everywhere and probably will be for a long time
>>
>>55780311
did you pay for learnpythonthehardway? is it worth it?
>>
c#, javascript and python

all 3, javascript is completely necessary to learn for web dev, python is a great scripting language that can be extended for more, and c# is a more sane java that will hopefully not be as hamstrung in the upcoming years as its open source-ening makes it less windows focused
>>
>>55785959
>>55790525
Python and its ilk are fine if you just want to quickly write something easy, but for anything with time/space constraints you need compiled languages.
>>
Yes.
>>
>>55790887
C# and Objective-C are just shit versions of Java
>>
>>55783459
>swift or lua
Python then Golang. Only answer.
>>
ITT: Useless assertions.

Follow the money when it comes to learning a programming language. Pic related shows the top in demand according to Indeed.com data.
>>
File: 1469496355819.gif (537KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1469496355819.gif
537KB, 480x270px
>>55791187
>useless jew
>>
>>55791199
I don't understand. What do you mean in your implication?
>>
>>55785689
Javascript is better for beginners. It's easy to understand, has simple syntax, has a lot of libraries and documentation, and can run on every modern browser.
>>
>>55783459
>all those meme languages
>>
>>55791216
You have a limited view of what actually makes the world of computer science turn. The language that anons should learn aren't necessarily dictated by what the market wants at the current state. Especially when that data comes from ONE site, like indeed. Learn a useful language, or one with potential. It may not be covered by a "top tens," but you shouldn't limit yourself to what other people use. Whenever someone tells me to follow my heart when it comes to computer science, I want to spit on them.
>>
>>55791304
A useful language for me is one that will net me income. It's not simply what other people use, but what the market demands. Even then once you learn your first language it becomes way easier to learn a second and third. Might as well go with one that will help you land a well paying job. Nothing else really matters.
>>
>>55783432
Oh hey, it's the C++-is-a-c-superset meme. Kill yourself.

On the other hand, Objective-C actually IS a perfect superset of C.
>>
>>55780255
JavaScript.

It ain't perfect and it's littered with terrible design choices, but a lot of programming positions are beginning to ask for JavaScript developers. It's the hottest meme.

Aside from that, I'd say either Java or C++.
>>
>>55791187
>Follow the money when it comes to learning a programming language.
Is that why HB1's are coming for most of our entry level code monkey jobs.
>>
>>55791440
Probably. Guessing someone from a third world country is more in touch with reality than some autist sperging online constantly and never actually interacting with others.The latter surely falls for the romantic advice of, "follow your dreams :^)".
>>
Pseudocode
>>
>>55791689
I didn't think third worlders held code monkey positions to such high esteem.
Glad u at least enjoy being at the bottom of the barrel pajeet.
>>
>>55791689
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
>>55780255
Ruby Master Race
>>
Perl5
>>
>>55780255
Java if you want to make use of your skills
>>
>>55780255

It's different categories. Learn (in that order):

C
Java OR C# OR C++
Python OR Ruby OR Perl

Then (if you are interested in the Web) learn:
HTML
JavaScript
Python/Django OR Ruby/Rails OR PHP/Laravel.

You're welcome.
>>
can someone please share a programming guide for idiots
>>
>>55780255

Dont learn C++ or PHP, they are shit languages. The other languages are shit too, but not as shit as C++ and PHP.

If you want to not be a shitter you should learn lisp and some C. If you just wanna write code go with python. Eventually you'll end up learning most of these language.

You should also set up a proper dev environment. My advice is to steel yourself and learn how to write common lisp in (spac)emacs on linux.
>>
If you have an old TI-84 calculator, then TI-84 basic. Ditto if you have any other similar physical device which is small, cozy, and programmable.

Customizable software is nice for that purpose too. Learning Emacs Lisp to customize your emacs, learning Lua to write macros or customize your WoW UI etc is a great way to learn to program. (I'd also add learning Haskell to customize XMonad but the learning curve there is much steeper).
>>
>>55795203
Fuck you, C++ is better than C and while PHP is a mess it's insanely flexible
>>
>>55795239

I advocate learning C because it will show you how memory and references work, not because it's a language you should use, that's where lisp comes in (which also invalidates your "insanely flexible" PHP argument).

C++ does not teach you how the computer works just because it is a step in the right direction wrt abstraction. It's just that C++ attempts at amending the huge flaws of C makes it neither good for learning nor good in general. Rather than learning C++ you should learn the attempts at successor languages such as go, rust or even languages like nim.

C++ has all the necessary parts to write good code, but it's used today because of momentum, not because its inherent qualities.
>>
>>55795287
>C++ does not teach you how the computer works
Sure. It doesn't.
You don't really learn how a computer works unless you learn assembly, as C is an abstraction layer.
So what you'll use malloc and whatnot, C++ has new, delete, pointers and dynamic memory allocation. It can also interact with hardware on the same level that C can, so it's not really a good argument.

Since when does half the world's webservers run lisp?
I'm not saying it's a bad language. I don't know lisp.
In my opinion it's better to learn PHP, as it's a more useful language.
>>
>>55795343

With C++ you have a lot more abstractions, for instance the way you may pass an argument with & which allows you to access it as a value rather than a pointer. While this is much more sane than C the extra features of C++ increases the mental burden of understanding what is going on. The issue here is that while C++ might be a better language (which I don't think but that's an opinion) neither of them are very good.

As for PHP, the reason it is widely used is the fact that complete retards can use it. It's basically one big shortcut that will invariably end up fucking you over. Rather than learning yesterdays languages why not learn from history and learn some non-shit languages?

Also, while lisp does not power many servers the servers with code written by people fluent in lisp will usually be a lot better, regardless of which language it is written in, compared to software written by someone not fluent.

Personally I'm building robots with ROSlisp, you should give it a whirl.
>>
>>55780255
Honestly, I think your best bet is to watch those MIT OCW Comp Sci courses.
>>
If u want to develop web apps, start with javascript, html and css and move towards C# + ASP.NET afterwards.

If you want to develop stand alone programs for general use, C# or Java and eventually C++ and Qt

If you want to get into big data and processing that data for science / business intelligence then learn python first and move towards rust

Something you'll want to be familiar with in any event is basic SQL, databases will be everywhere regardless of your language choice. Understanding how to write simple queries even if your language will hold your hand in connecting to and querying DB anyways, its good to know whats going on behind the scenes -- plus SQL questions come up very often in interview questions.
>>
>>55780311
>>55780323
Python is shit.

Whitespace should not be part of a language.
>>
>>55797028
are you saying this because you need to format your code in some awful way, or as a pedantic but ultimately pointless comment on a language you just don't like?
>>
>>55780255
All of them.
>>
>>55783432
>>write C code

What the fuck is a C code
>>
Learn C and move on to embedded systems programming, that's where the money is nowadays.
>>
>>55797241
Can't C++ be on embedded systems. C doesn't have Classes
>>
File: 1394577829623.jpg (28KB, 228x221px) Image search: [Google]
1394577829623.jpg
28KB, 228x221px
>>55797312
>he fell for the OOP meme
>>
>>55797333
How is it a meme?
>>
>>55780255
Python, PHP, HTML
>>
>>55797363
I don't need it in my line of work and I don't understand it, therefore it is a meme.
>>
>>55797363
Bad performance (locality of reference)
Doesn't fit any problem well.
Encourages overcomplicated designs.
Worst of all: encourages shared state.
>>
>>55797406
>Encourages overcomplicated designs.
Agree. Most people tend to abuse it
>Doesn't fit any problem
What????
>Worst of all: encourages shared state
How is this a bad??
>>
>>55797464
>How is this a bad??
Why is a global variable bad? It's the same answer.
>>
>>55797500
>what is dependency injection
>>
>>55795412

I think you are right that EVERY programmer should learn C and some Lisp along his way, because they will help you getting better.

For example if you learn Ruby or Python, then a knowledge of C will help you to get a feeling of how to avoid unnecessary slow code (since both run C under the hood) and Lisp will help you to make use of higher langauge features and the right kind of abstraction, since both are closer to Lisp than to C or Java.
>>
lua
>>
Python exercises?
>>
File: NEGER_IK_BEN_ZO_DICHTBIJ.png (2MB, 514x989px) Image search: [Google]
NEGER_IK_BEN_ZO_DICHTBIJ.png
2MB, 514x989px
>>55797312
>OOP
nah. I'm good senpai
>>
>>55797402
>I don't understand it
mental illness confirmed
>>
>>55797037
Whitespace as tokens is a fucking terrible idea, how can you possibly defend that shit
>>
>>55780255
Haskell.
>>
>want to automate stuff and makes bot to make life easier
>bot games
>scrape webpages
>filter shit on webpages
>pick up python first cause people recommend
>learn it and got stuck
>ask for help
>people don't know what I want / give me answers that doesn't answer my questions

python is for maths and everyone uses it for math. It's a glorified calculator that's all. It can't do the shits I want and when I ask at stackoverflow or even /g/ they all laugh at me for trying to use python for that.
If you are in academia and uses it to plot your stupid graph then yeah go ahead and use python.
Heck even the first 100 lessons on python are literally asking you to make a calculator to count shit.
What's more you have to import stupid ass libraries to be able to do shit. without those libraries, all you can do it literally use it to print 'i'm a moron' and calculate simple maths
>>
>tell IT friend I have python question to ask him
>says sure, pop by his office the next day
>turns out he mainly uses PHP and HTML
>doesn't know jack shit about python
>tells me he didn't know indents are important in python

why didn't he just tell me he has no experience with python? What a waste of time. But at least I managed to get a free KB from him :^)
>>
>>>55798664
You can't save anything on 1 kilobyte anymore.
>>
>>55798625
Nice projecting.
>>
>>55797333
>>55797363

The problem is Java only pretends to be OOP.
If you look at langauges like Smalltalk or Ruby.. those are really OOP, because you just pass objects and don't need to know what they are.

Java has a lot of shit features, like "Hurr, Integer is an object, but int is not."
Stuff like that can bite you in the arse, i.e. make a map with integers:
--> if you ask for "(Integer) i" it will return you the value for the key "i" (as expected)
--> if you forget that casting, you'll get the "entry i", no matter what the key is..

Let's not even start about the fucking mess with I/O streams, OK now we have a lot of new syntactic sugar (hurr, we functional langauge now!!), but basically it's still the same shit.

Also Java is just so verbose. You want to refactore something? Good luck adding/deleting 500 brackets.

Oh yes, and abstraction is a very good thing, it looks awesome on big charts that the management draws.. AbstractBeanCounterSingletonFactoryMindrape my ass.

>>55798150

See:
>>55784757
>>
>>55798625

No you just suck at python dude.

What's Django again?
>>
>>55798777
A shitty web framework for people too stupid to learn another language.
>>
>>55798777

yeah I suck on it and asks for help. People are giving stupid answers that doesn't answer my questions. They literally have no idea how to do what I wanted to do with python and only uses it for academia.

I had a friend that brag about using python to predict a function curve shit and when I ask him for help and he asks to take a loot at my code, the only advice he could give me was "you missed a bracket"

This bragging fucker can't even tell I am using 2.7 and tells me to use 3.0

I lost trust in python already. Also, that friend is a pajeet and keeps bragging about himself for some reason
>>
>>55795203
>C++
>shit
>use lisp instead
whut
>>
>>55797028
Whoever decided whitespace was better than brackets should be shot
>>
Gentoo
>>
>>55780311
Python isn't really good for much outside of random scripting and other languages are better for that.
>>
>>55780255
C# for application dev
Ruby on Rails and JavaScript for web dev

Anything else is old/dieing/falling out of favor.
Thread posts: 101
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.