[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Career advice needed /g/ Bachelor in Computer Information Systems.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1468371885155.png (721KB, 830x987px) Image search: [Google]
1468371885155.png
721KB, 830x987px
Career advice needed /g/

Bachelor in Computer Information Systems. Long term goal is Cyber/Network Security

MY GPA is good but my connections are 0.

To make this as short as I can. Thanks to moving back home to a rural town and my father I have two options worth pursuing.

I.T at a school district. Not VERY relevent but the pay should be good and the cost of living with internet is a little less than one check so I could be set. Plus I might be more fulfilled doubling as assisting the new band director.

I have one more option at a firm that handles security equipment. Which involves:

>setting equipment racks, running and terminating structured cable, installing head end and peripheral equipment and installing and programming equipment software.

>A person would need to be mechanically inclined, able to use hand tools and power tools effectively, be able to work at heights and outdoors and also have a good understanding of networks and their infrastructure.

>software is normally specific to the application, and is either taught internally, or through our vendor during a class at their location. We do venture into a bit of networking such as setting up port forwarding for off site access to our equipment, creating a VPN within our LAN for directing data traffic between our equipment, and a bit of QOS adjustments when necessary.

>We are a security integrator first, with a need for persons who have an understanding of network technology as it applies to the products we install.

This might look MUCH better on a resume for future employment but it's small and they expect a fair amount of coming in abilities. Its not that I'm not confident its just I don't want to risk not having the job again for whatever reason. At the school, you really have to try to get fired.

In essence, is it worth it to pursue working at the school and finding employment later knowing I'm secure there? Or will the experience I gain at the security firm look THAT much better?
>>
You will probably be miserable at the security job. Working at a school is easier hours but probably less oay
>>
>>55765908
>>>/adv/
>>
>>55766303
There are resume generals on this board. This shit is allowed
>>
>>55766275
I didn't take into consideration the labor side of it. Yea. Working at the school is basically replacing screens and helping teachers by pressing a few buttons. I'm just trying to think long term
>>
>>55766361
I wouldn't say installing hardware is much better for the security product company.

Go with whichever will offer you more sysadmin experience, interview for both and ask.
>>
>>55766473
I know at the top of my head, I will be lightly dealing with Google Admin to manage the privileges of staffing. I don't believe I'll handle TOO much in that way, I will possibly be doing more of the grunt work at the security place. But it is smaller so I'll have to see.

Thank you everyone for your replies. This is killing me.
>>
>>55766529
I would just make sure the security product place isn't simply putting a box in and going home. You want to get your hands dirty playing around in configs and familiarising yourself with new tech, if it offers that then it could be a decent stepping stone.
>>
>>55766590
In the email they sent, since there is no official job description it looks like it would be mostly installing.

> We are a security integrator first, with a need for persons who have an understanding of network technology as it applies to the products we install.

but at the same time, if I excel there, I might learn much more

>We are a small company, so we must hire employees with a broad range of abilities to maximize our investment.

They said to check back mid August, which is perfect as thats when the school year starts and the board approves my opportunity to work there
>>
>>55766629
Sounds alright. You'll probably have to go hard for the first few months at least, try get involved with as much as possible.

Also, make sure you are doing something at home. For instance, if you haven't done so already, build yourself a lab environment and start implementing stuff. /r/homelab is a great place for info along those lines. I don't have any colleagues in sec positions that do nothing in their spare time. Being able to enthusiastically tell me about what you're doing is key. All the best with it.
>>
>>55766931
That's my plan either way to spend alot of my free time contributing somehow to improve my chances at a career. I'm just speaking rawly if the security positions on a resume will look that much better to be worthwhile
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.