[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is a programming job actually like? I mean the details,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: 1448646752153.jpg (740KB, 728x2080px) Image search: [Google]
1448646752153.jpg
740KB, 728x2080px
What is a programming job actually like?
I mean the details, like do they let you bring in your computer or do you set up your own environment or are you stuck with some shit clone station?
And how much work is there, how much of the total code do you write?

I'm afraid that if I get a programming job I'll be in over my head since I've never been good with focusing on one thing for long periods of time.
>>
File: 1399868090200.gif (2MB, 256x171px) Image search: [Google]
1399868090200.gif
2MB, 256x171px
>>55759688
in my job i do a bit of everything its very weird. most of the time i do webdev but sometimes also linux sys admin and help out with software solutions.
webdev is pretty straight forward.
its planing out what the frontand and backend has to be able to do and then we program functionality and do design afterwards.
admin is also pretty easy to do since many things are automated and it usually boils down to updating software and hoping nothing breaks and if it does fix it or roll back until a fix is available.
the actual programming part is different.
its 90% of the time reading documentation and testing out implementations to see which is working the best.
only a fraction of the time is actually spent implementing stuff.

i got my own pc at my workplace and i run loonix on it. i also got my notebook which also runs loonix. arch on my notebook and RHEL on my desktop at work.
most of the time i work alone. we dont do shit practices like agile or other stuff. and our infrastructure is very open. often times people from finance or HR will just drop by and ask about stuff or sit in on meetings for ideas and design.
its a pretty nice comfy place to work.
i also was very in over my head when i first started. that changed after a while you can only learn so much by yourself.
i probably learned more programming in 3 months working at that company than i have in over 4 years. simply because you will be confronted with real life problems and have to come up with actual solutions to them.
the focusing part is a non issue. i am the same if i am alone.
working with people rectifies that though. completely changes your work ethic.
>>
File: 1-r_-_ZWam5n6mQn0o121-6g.png (50KB, 404x408px) Image search: [Google]
1-r_-_ZWam5n6mQn0o121-6g.png
50KB, 404x408px
>>55759964
Upvoted
>>
>>55759688
When you work for a company, you'll rarely write code and spend more time understanding the guy who wrote it previously. Only then are you able to implement some more which any babby straight out of college can do.
>>
>>55759688
read this http://kissmanga.com/Manga/SE

(that's not the source of OP pic)
>>
It depends on the company, the team and your exact field. I go into work. Eat some free cereal and make some tea. Say hi to my manager and teammates. Then I sit down at my workstation, pull in some changes if I need to and get to work. I take a task down from Jira and work on it. If I run into a problem I bring it up with my team or my manager. Sometimes we do sprint planning or some other sort of meeting. We set goals and break down tasks. I try to write code that is fast and efficient. Sometimes I think we need to axe a feature because its not currently possible so I email whoever I need to and I discuss it with them. It's a lot of communication and a lot of problem solving. I spent a week adding one feature. After that I had to fix a nasty unrelated crash. Now I'm polishing some systems that my team didn't write. Im new at my job but I do cool stuff and it's fun.
>>
>>55760098
>I spent a week adding one feature
Damn, what kind of feature takes this much time?
>>
>>55759688

We have company laptops, they run M$ Wind0ws because interoperability or something like that.

The "lines of code" vary a lot, somedays it's some hundreds LOC, but since I'm doing databases, there's a lot of thinking and structuring involved.

As for a "normal" day:

Get into office.

>"Morning."
>"Morning."
>"Sorry, I'm a little late again.."
>"OK."

Get some coffee. Check mails.
Custormer xyz has a problem.. meh I'll call him back in an hour.
Oh, customer abc has a big problem. shit, this is important. I should call him now.

>"Hello, this is Anon from Anon Consulting. You had problems with the AnonDB tool?"
>"Well yes, we found records of invoices that shouldn't be there. I think we excluded the 'company 123 pro' invoices?"
>"Wait, let me check this. i call back"

..5 minutes later..

>"Hello, this is Anon from Anon Consulting again."
>"Hi. So, what's the problem?"
>"Well, we excluded the 'company 123' invoices, not the 'company 123 pro' invoices."
"Oh, I thought 'company 123 pro' contains 'company 123', so..
>"No, sorry."
>"So you need all the words?"
>"I could add a.. ..let's call it 'fuzzy search'. So all invoices that contain 'company 123' get filtered."
>"That would be great."
>"Bye."

Get another coffee.

Uhm, what is my lunch today? Let's see... Oh, right, this stuff.

Check mails.

Ah damn, I have to call my boss at 2 pm, he's at the customer and wants my report..

Oh no, meeting at 5 pm? Right, It's not like I have to fix 20 errors until end of business..

Oh well, I love my life.
>>
File: howitfeels.jpg (84KB, 576x432px) Image search: [Google]
howitfeels.jpg
84KB, 576x432px
>>55760982
Not him but the is a big jump going from assignments in school to working on a codebase that has been grown by dozens or even hundreds of people since it first began. It's not that it's impossibly hard, but it is a different kind of challenge. In school you will often be working on a one or two week project with some brain-bustingly hard concepts that you just learned so that you can drill down the fundamentals. In enterprise the problems are often times less difficult individually, but much more complex in terms of incorporating and implementing new things such that work with the vast already esablished structure.
>>
>>55759688
>get assigned in a project
>gives you subscription keys to a dev tools/prototyping tools
>you install it
>gives you the business process model
>you create the prototype
>get revised
>create again and revised until they agree with it
>team divide the workload
>depends on your methodology
>most common is agile
>you must finish all the modules assigned to you per sprint
>testing then implementation
>sometimes you train the people who will use it
>>
>>55760087
This only true if you're working on large company or non-software company.

I've work in somewhat large-ish company, and also experienced the same thing.
The code are so shitty, you'll immediately lose all motivations.
My project manager was like, "Here anon, take this code and complete this project", while giving me 700MB PHP source code.
When i take a peek at the code, many are unrelated to the project.
But when asked, the project manager was like, "It's a source code library, of course you'll have unrelated function"...
Simply nightmare mode.

I also have experience working on non-software company.
Again, the same bad experience, except this time with Java.
But, instead of huge library, i got a bunch of file with cryptic filename, with jsp extension.
It's an outsource project, and i'm replacing the fail project manager.
When i asked the contractor, their answer is, "It's for security. With such filename, people can't guess random word in url and gain access to admin function".

Lastly, i also have experience working in pure software house.
This is a pure bliss.
Project manager will define specification and i only need to follow it.
Sometimes, we also need to meet with customer and listen their feedback or request for change.
Most meeting are informal, like in cafe or golf course.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.