[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any benefit to having a tiny form factor PC like a NUC

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: Image_14S.jpg (87KB, 750x373px) Image search: [Google]
Image_14S.jpg
87KB, 750x373px
Is there any benefit to having a tiny form factor PC like a NUC instead of a laptop?
>>
>>55757014
Yeah, if you want to hook it up to a larger screen and avoid having the keyboard/touchpad
>>
>>55757014
They make convenient headless servers, and fit anywhere that space and power/thermal constraints are a concern.

They're not portable like laptops, but the increased expandability is often worth a lack of portability in many use cases.
>>
Cheaper
Quieter
Runs cooler
Smaller
Upgradable storage and RAM
Better selection of I/O ports
Better hardware driver support
>>
>>55757014
For personal use I really don't know. We have one at work that is mounted behind a TV that is mounted to the wall. For reasons like that they are super handy. For everyday casual use...not so sure.
>>
>>55757014
>no windows 7 support

droppery doppery doo
>>
>>55757014
I saw a neat guitar setup where a guy took a NUC and bolted it to the bottom of his pedalboard. Set the thing up so that NI Guitar rig would load and open the right presets every time he booted the NUC.

He then attached the NUC to a small audio interface and had a simple midi footswitch to click through his presets.'

He used guitar rig, but theoretically, you could do it with any DAW and load whatever VST plugins you want.

Would make a pretty cool synth setup too, especially with a good controller like a Nektar Panorama or an Akai Advance. With controllers like that, you doin't even need a monitor.
>>
I want to make a stack of servers with this? I just want 4-5 physical form factor machines to play around with linux OS and have them talk to one another and see what I can do with them, I don't want to take the VM route even if its cheaper. thoughts?
>>
>>55757681
Sounds like you just want an excuse to waste money on expensive toys.
>>
>>55757731
this too but I just want like a mini physical rack I could dick around with. i know 10/autism
>>
>>55757862
I wouldn't consider it a waste if you're having fun and/or learning new things.

You won't get a rack specifically for SFF PCs, they don't really exist. If you want a rack you'll need to get a standard 19" rack and put shelves in it that the SFF PCs and their power bricks sit on.
>>
>>55757014
Just buy a fire TV and hook up your media server
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.