[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does macbook throttle so hard? I've had my vaio running

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: heatsink.jpg (1MB, 3672x1869px) Image search: [Google]
heatsink.jpg
1MB, 3672x1869px
How does macbook throttle so hard? I've had my vaio running at 3.2ghz(35w) for 30 minutes now. Temps get to 80 degrees, it drops to 0.8ghz, then climbs back up to 3.2ghz. It manages to maintain 3.2ghz for a few minutes before dropping each time. And this is with a single fan that sounds like a jet engine and a tiny heatsink. Macbooks have 2 fans, 2 heatsinks, and a massive(for a laptop) heatpipe.

My friend has a macbook pro he got for music production and it throttles so bad he stopped trying to use it for professional work and just uses it for basic word processing and web browsing. I helped him build a midrange desktop (e3 1231 + gtx 960) instead which handles the work so much easier.
>>
File: p50.jpg (235KB, 1500x997px) Image search: [Google]
p50.jpg
235KB, 1500x997px
>>55754455
1. No vents on the bottom
2. Poor fan curve that emphasises low noise over cooling
3. Small heatsinks

For comparison, this is the heatsink in a P50
>>
>>55754455
Can only be described as a design fault and not a hardware issue that can be fixed.

Seen a few unusual cases of these and always had to return as no failure found and that are usually the 15" MacBook Pro Retinas which come in for the issue.

Issue is usually described as thermal throttling when gaymin.

Would probably have to heavily modify the thermal system on the MacBook to get around the throttling issue (not recommended) and would be much better to get a PC instead.
>>
>>55754527
So if he somehow increased fan speed he could use his MacBook for productivity again?

Pic related is the shitty cooling system in my vaio for the cpu+gpu that somehow seems to work just as well as his macbooks cooling...

>>55754547
Yeah I convinced him to get the desktop, he enjoys the massive performance gain but hates the lack of portability
>>
>>55754525
>bumping when you've just created the thread 7 minutes ago

Seriously?

https://www.eidac.de/?p=260

Use smcfancontrol to force the fan to spin faster
>>
>>55754601
I'm op. That wasn't me.

Thanks for the link, I'll let him know and see what he thinks about it when I visit him later today
>>
>>55754619

Apologies.

It's not really a fix, just a temporary workaround until Apple decides to get their shit sorted out, which is never at this rate.

Apple has been declining without Jobs.
>>
File: Untitled.png (17KB, 404x442px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
17KB, 404x442px
>>55754455
Just out of curiosity, what does it look like if you go into advanced power settings and set maximum processor state to 99%?

I do that to my encoding rig (a Dell with an i7 3770) and it disables turbo, bringing it down from 3.7GHz to the base 3.4, which brings the CPU temps from 78 to 68 while the fan goes from 1600RPM to 1200.
I'm wondering how well this works on a laptop.
>>
>>55754682
it helps a lot with laptops
I have a mid 2012 and this thing will gladly run at 3.4ghz (max all core turbo) for about 15-25 minutes, before it will slow down to reach it's target temp of 85c. since it's a 2012 non retina it only really goes down to 2-1.8ghz, but with turbo boost turned off from the start it will run at 80-90c 24/7 if I wanted to.
It's a shame that the retinas are so shit with temps, at least they learned that some airflow is more important than none.
>>
>>55754682
It's not my macbook so I'm not sure. I usually just use throttlestop on my vaio to disable turbo. TDP goes from 35w to 21w from a mere 500mhz drop, which reduces how often it throttles drastically.
>>
>>55754769
>Throttlestop
Hmm... I wonder if that would work on a desktop. The Dell obviously doesn't allow any BIOS voltage adjustments, and Intel's turbo asks for a ridiculous 0.1 volt more on my processor when it would probably be stable at the 3.4GHz voltage. If I could find a way to software undervolt it I could play around with it.
>>
>>55754455
>mac

Found his problem.
>>
>>55754581
>Yeah I convinced him to get the desktop, he enjoys the massive performance gain but hates the lack of portability
Get him a Thinkpad + docking station and keep the monitor, best of both worlds.
>>
>>55754455
>music production
god is trying to help him by fucking up his computers before he starts thinking he is a music producer.
just let it happen, its part of god's plan
>>
>>55754455
AMD GPUs.
>>
>>55757043
Op here, my vaio also uses AMD GPU.

>>55757022
He does it for fun, like a hobby.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.