[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone else observed youtube recommendations with anti-tracking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: youtube_logo_purple-splash1.jpg (70KB, 1280x905px) Image search: [Google]
youtube_logo_purple-splash1.jpg
70KB, 1280x905px
Has anyone else observed youtube recommendations with anti-tracking measures enabled (i.e. blocklists, disabled cookies)?

The behavior is somewhat unnerving, considering that this is what is recommended to the average user in my location. During the brexit period it was full of pro-brexit sensationalist videos, and at the moment the videos seem to be anti-air travel propaganda e.g.
>Inexperienced girl tries to land A320
>Angry Pilots and Controllers fighting swearing arguing on Live ATC

I can understand potential business incentives for brexit promotion, but the current recommendations are just odd.

Any hypotheses?
>>
dem algorithms be crazy n sheit sumtimes
>>
Dunno, I only get dumb gaming channels. I mostly watch tech and gun videos.
>>
> Not knowing all tech companies have a liberal agenda
Facebook, Twitter, Reddit and possibly Youtube are censoring the Wikileaks emails.
Facebook went as far as to completely block any link to Wikileaks under "dangerous website". Twitter deleted the trending hashtag completely in favor of pro-liberal hastags that had little activity and Reddit is making sure no threads about the leaks make it to the front page
>>
this may be a shock to you
but places like youtube also factor in the general populations viewing habits and uses that to display recommendations to users who don't have personalization enabled

hence, a lot of brexit shit during brexit

you literally have to be underaged to not understand this concept of a fallback general application
>>
>>55737242
Censorship and using neo-liberal sensationalism as a means of suppression contradicts liberal principles entirely; so that is most certainly not a liberal agenda.
Mill would certainly not approve

>>55737284
I doubt specifically pro-brexit sensationalism would have dwarfed every other category so much that they are unrepresented, especially as the recommendations are side-bar recommendations which should be of at least moderate relevance to the material being viewed (which can hardly be stated about vintage vector monitor demos and stumpwm tutorials.) I believe this especially due to the nature of the voting habits of technologically well-equipped under 50s (the primary users of youtube) during the election, who had a clear majority in favor of remain.
>>
>>55737284
>but places like youtube also factor in the general populations viewing habits and uses that to display recommendations to users who don't have personalization enabled
This was actually stated in the OP
>>55737181
>considering that this is what is recommended to the average user in my location
>>
>>55737181
Are you surprised Google is acting like Google?
>>
>>55737397
your hypothesis is shit, please refrain from stating them again

>>55737426
please read the comment before replying
>>
>>55737633
>your hypothesis is shit, please refrain from stating them again
A hypothesis isn't stated and the dismissal of obscurity in the quoted post doesn't hold for the current trend

>please read the comment before replying
The quoted post ignores that the recommended videos are a specific subset of those pertaining to brexit.
>>
I've literally never had this issue.
It only displays casual shit to me that would be displayed to others too. AND it's possible that certain location-based things get displayed. For example, I'm from Germany, and since yesterday the front page always shows videos about the shooting in Munich.
Besides that it's just casual shit like gaming videos, music videos, etc. But nothing that interests me.

You might be doing something wrong with your "anti tracking measures" because for me, literally just disabling cookies is enough to not get any personalized recommended videos.
>>
>>55737883
I have ublock with the GNU Icecat privacy list added, self-destructing cookies and a few modifications to the firefox about:config. It should be sufficient.

Also I was referring to the recommendations that appear in the sidebar when you watch a video, specifically.
>>
[GO]
>>
OP is a faggot
>>
I experience this too OP.

My connection's quite slow so I batch download subscriptions overnight via a script so only check out occasional things 'live'.

Used to get a lot of Jeremy Kyle clips recommended
I'm seeing 'Inexperienced girl tries to land A320' on most videos I watch.

I thought they were just popular at the time, who knows.
>>
>>55737181
>Any hypotheses?

Major plane-related terror act incoming in your location.

There are circles of people, who are being warned through symbolism in the media.
I'm dead serious, because I belong to these circles.
>>
>>55737181

Did you try pausing and clearing your YouTube viewing and search histories? There's a setting in your Google account that does that.
>>
>>55738213
>your Google account
We're a few layers of abstraction away from this.
>>
YouTube has been confirmed to be tracking IPs now.
>>
>>55738148
I was thinking more along the lines of the British government using this as a social engineering tactic to reduce air, or more generally international, travel at this turbulent time.
>>
>>55738061
Can you post that script
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.