[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So my computer died a few days ago, i was measuring ram clearance

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 1455251494696.jpg (69KB, 338x450px) Image search: [Google]
1455251494696.jpg
69KB, 338x450px
So my computer died a few days ago, i was measuring ram clearance with digital calipers to see if i could fit new ram in my old as fuck computer to wait out until kaby lake-e/skylake-e next year

I go to turn it on after that and it turns on but doesn't post or boot

I tried taking out the ram, switching the location of the sticks, taking out the video card and using the integrated gpu

I know there is no point in trying to troubleshooting the problem since it's a 6 year old build, it'll be cheaper to just replace the motherboard/cpu/ram than buying a new motherboard to test components and finding out it want just the ram or the motherboard of the cpu

My question is how worried should i be about my 6 year old psu, it a 500 watt oem seasonic psu, i don't mind replacing it if i have to, but I'm wondering if i should just chuck it to be safe if it's the reason my computer won't post as in it took the motherboard with it
>>
File: 1465889394672.png (427KB, 514x662px) Image search: [Google]
1465889394672.png
427KB, 514x662px
>measuring RAM clearance with digital calipers
>>
>>55736643
I wanted to know how tall they were installed, so when i measured from them to the side panel i knew what the overall distance from the motherboard to the side panel was so i knew if i got lower profile ram i could fit a 140mm fan

And i was just using them for rough mm height, not like fractions of a mm would make a difference, no matter how spergish that was it did serve a purpose
>>
A bump i shall make
>>
>>55736600

6 years is pretty damn old for a PSU.

They start to degrade pretty quick. Usually PSUs are the first thing you have to replace after abused GPUs. I would get a new PSU.
>>
>>55738628
Are the evga g2 eco psus any good?

I'm looking for a 500-600 watt psu
>>
>>55736600
>digital
>not vernier

Well there's your problem
>>
>>55739064
g series evga psu's are generally pretty good, another good choice might be an RMx00i psu from corsair if you want fully modular
>>
psus from that long ago might have had slightly different power standards and might have trouble powering a new build
>>
>>55739064
evga PSUs are ok, i'd suggest shelling out the extra 20-30 for a rm650x from corsair
>>
>>55740479
Whats funny about that is i wanted to get some 12 inch ones before my shit got rekt, since they are pretty expensive that's out of question now
>>
Fried one of your sticks maybe? Try using all but one until you find the fried one(s) if that's the problem.
>>
You can pick up a 20 dollar 500 watt power supply from micro center made by Diablotek. It comes with a 1 year warranty and all that jazz. Could be used as a temp psu if you want that.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/457407/EL_Series_PSEL500_500_Watt_ATX_Power_Supply

Pretty unbeatable for its price, good reviews too.
>>
H A R A M B E
>>
>>55742563
Already did that and also did a no sticks at all to see if it gives any post beeps
>>
>>55742929
I might as well burn my $20 since that would never touch even shitty electronics projects
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.