[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /g/ think of this degree? https://www.unsw.adfa.ed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: IMG-20160711-WA0003.jpg (191KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160711-WA0003.jpg
191KB, 1200x1600px
What does /g/ think of this degree? https://www.unsw.adfa.edu.au/degree/postgraduate-coursework/master-cyber-security-8628

I'm newly enrolled and have done a one week intensive study period and the practicals involved only the very basics of a few tools in Kali Linux. Thinking about dropping out and self-studying for the OSCP instead, before I get myself AUD$35k in student debt. Not currently working in the field but looking to break in.

Thoughts? Other recommended certs?
>>
File: image.png (307KB, 391x626px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
307KB, 391x626px
>>55724928
>>
cybersecutiy is a meme degree and you won't be entering the field as anything higher than a helpdesk monkey.

Security is built upon a sold base of networking. Go CCENT -> CCNA and try to get a NOC gig to pay for it. After 2-4 years your degree will be relevant enough that you can enter a security role.
>>
>>55724971
What's "NOC gig"? What's a gig?
>>
>>55724994
OP here, Google tells me "NOC" is network operations centre and as an Australian, I can tell you gig means job in this context.
>>
>>55724994
Network Operations Center. A gig is just slang for employment in a profession.
>>
>>55724967
that scene was autistic as fuck. The whole series is actually very autistic
>>
>>55724971
that is terrible advice. my cyber degree landed me a security engineer job (not ticket jockey) right out of school. i had to turn down offers.

however i went to a good school for it
>>
>ask a bunch of neets about a degree
INSTALL GENTOO
AMD IS SHIT
DEGREE ISNT OPEN SOURCE
FERMI (wait is that still a thing here?)
GNUGNUGNUGNUGNUGNUGNUGNUGNUGNUGNUGNUGNUGNUGNU+LINUX
STALLMAN
SMARTPHONE
QUICK! SOLVE x AND DO MY HOMEWORK FOR ME

for real OP, wtf are you doing?
>>
>>55724928
want advice on /g/? do meth. lots of it.
>>
>>55724928
OP, it really depends what you want to do. OSCP will get you into pentesting. There's a myriad of course outlines and streams you can follow, it just depends.
Forensics, IR, Security Engineering, Architect etc.
Where do you want to end up? Will be easier to give advice on a way to get there if you explain your aspirations.
>>
File: having problems?.jpg (17KB, 500x382px) Image search: [Google]
having problems?.jpg
17KB, 500x382px
>he thinks he can go "learn cyber security" at a school
>>
>>55728361
No I don't, and my first experience of classes (the degree only has one week intensives per subject and then is otherwise online) has only reinforced this, hence why I'm looking for other, possibly cheaper options such as certifications and online courses
>>
File: 1469040683184s.jpg (3KB, 109x125px) Image search: [Google]
1469040683184s.jpg
3KB, 109x125px
>>55728361
>>
>>55727134
Thanks for the input. On the basis of the various streams you've highlighted, would you recommend any of the SANS courses?
>>
>>55728361
Where do you think encryption is taught? Can schools not teach the theory of computer systems and its applications especially those related to security?
>>
>>55730370
It does depend, as i said, on what you want to do.
This roadmap will show you, at the moment i'm at the start of the penstesting stream (completed 504).
https://www.sans.org/media/security-training/roadmap.pdf
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.