[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /g/, I'm a tech illiterate macfag and today I will install

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_0870.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0870.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Hi /g/,
I'm a tech illiterate macfag and today I will install Gentoo with very minimal knowledge of what it is or how I do it.
>>
>>55723540
>PowerPC
What the fuck are you doing?
>>
>>55723540
I haven't gotten very far, I've just downloaded the iso and just now it looks like it's done burning to the usb drive. As far as I know this might be my first problem. I haven't read anything specifically, but from what little I have read I feel like using a USB drive to install Gentoo isn't possible on PowerPC systems even though I don't see why it wouldn't. We'll see how it goes.
Also, I don't want any help, I want to mess this up on my own.

>>55723567
Installing on a PowerMac G5
>>
It says something about multiple partitions so I don't know I guess I'll make 3-4 partitions except I don't really know how to do that. I tried using Disk Utility, but it looks like it's making dmgs which is not what I want I think
I'll fuck around some and if I don't find anything out I'll google it I guess
>>
Do Linux From Scratch first, it'll make a Linux out of you.
>>
>>55723821
This is a troll right?
>>
>>55724327
No, but I just realised that this will take a very long time so I'll start with installing something easier first.
>>55724127
What do you mean by "from scratch"? Is Ubuntu alright? (It better be because I'm in the midst of installing it)
>>
>>55724410
yes. Use Ubuntu. Install another DE once you're done tho, Unity a shit.
>>
>>55724410
>>55724410
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
>>
>>55724410
Start with ubuntu, install i3. Get used to a unix environment. Install debian. Get comfy. Install arch, learn to use it properly.

Then install gentoo
>>
At least I've already learned something from this, which is why I set out to do something like this in the first place. (I learned how to use diskutil to burn an iso to a usb drive in OS X)

>>55724434
>entirely from source code
am I being memed?
>>
OP please deliver. Today might be a good day for /g/.
>>
File: 1440990910264.png (659KB, 680x499px) Image search: [Google]
1440990910264.png
659KB, 680x499px
>>55724502
>>
>>55723540
Sounds like a terrible idea but go for it if you want it that much.
>>
File: IMG_0872.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0872.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Ok so the thing is that what I originally tried to do was correct, but for some reason most of it is greyed out for me and I'm not sure why. Once I find out I can continue. Sorry for Norwegian text.
It says that the selected disk contains the startup volume and can't be partitioned, I don't see why not.
>>
>>55724678
I'm wondering if diskutil can come in handy here as well
>>
>>55724678
>>55724752
I found out that I can't partition I'm booting from, which is probably obvious I don't know.
I don't have an OS X install disk or any hard drives lying around (I think). Maybe I could take a hard drive from one of my MacBook Pros and put in in the second hard drive slot in the Power Mac, partition it and then copy the PPC version of OS X to that partition and then boot from that partition and partition the original drive and then move the PPC version of OS X back to that drive. Will that work? I don't know, maybe.
>>
>>55724861
>Will that work?
Yes.
Designate the new drive as a TimeMachine disk, use TimeMachine to make a backup and you'll be able to restore your system etc.
>>
File: IMG_0874.jpg (1MB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0874.jpg
1MB, 2000x1500px
Alright I'm delaying the partitioning for now, I'm gonna try booting from a USB drive. Turns out I was right and Power Macs can't easily boot from USB. I have to use something called OpenFirmware which I managed to get into easily, but the keyboard input is messed up and I don't know how to type a backslash. I guess I'll just try random keys until I find out.
>>
Uh I'm kind of worried that I don't have any way to type a backslash into this
>>
File: IMG_0879.jpg (236KB, 2667x375px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0879.jpg
236KB, 2667x375px
Well I figured out how to type the commands, but now I get this. Fuck.
>>
File: IMG_0884.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0884.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Oh there we go.
I was about to continue, but then the PC froze and the fans started going at max speed. This has happened 2 times before, I hoped it was just something with OS X. Maybe it's something wrong with the RAM. Anyways, I'll try again, it doesn't happen that often.
>>
Well it loaded the kernel and some other stuff, then sent me to a white screen where it said something about having identified my display and then shortly after it sent me to an entirely black screen where it remained stuck until I turned it off. Trying again now.
>>
>>55725582
Lubuntu is a good choice to start
>>
>>55725682
tried doing what it said about video=ofonly this time, let's see how it goes
>>
>>55725747
nope, stuck on a black screen again
>>
>>55725759
You're on a weird liveusb setup right?
Try burning a DVD. Maybe will fit in a CD
>>
>>55725804
>You're on a weird liveusb setup right?
I think so...
>Try burning a DVD. Maybe will fit in a CD
Why?
>>
Maybe it was because I entered "live" I just now noticed that you can enter "live-powerpc64" so I tried that
>>
>>55725842
that's just what I would do.
usb booting doesn't work in some older systems. but CD/DVD always work

or google more shit
>>
>>55725916
Well I mean I did get it to load off the USB. Do you mean that it can just kind of get cut off in the middle of the process?
>>
>>55725953
A lot of thing could be going wrong with that liveusb. Just burn a DVD like this faggot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IRf5ggGFWk
>>
>>55726095
Well I don't have a DVD I can burn unless it's possible to overwrite some old movie DVD or something
>>
>>55726135
I was begging to thought that since you where still arguing about it instead of just burning a DVD. But there was also the possibility of you just being an idiot like most mac fags.

you could also try lubuntu in a virtual machine until you buy a clean DVD tomorrow or whatever
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.