[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 354
Thread images: 26

File: 1466633905381.png (2MB, 2720x8048px) Image search: [Google]
1466633905381.png
2MB, 2720x8048px
Welcome to /fglt/. We are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try GNU/Linux, you can:

0) Install a GNU/Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
1) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU/Linux experience".
2) Dual-boot GNU/Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about GNU/Linux)
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.

IRC connection details:
Server: chat.freenode.net:6667 (no SSL, 6697 for SSL) - Channel: #flt
If you don't have an IRC client (which you should), go to https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt.

Visit the Friendly GNU/Linux Thread/Website:
http://fglt.nl/

Resources:
man <insert command here>
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will work on various distros, including Debian)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
>>
File: 1467590704732.png (501KB, 1301x2873px) Image search: [Google]
1467590704732.png
501KB, 1301x2873px
>Get started with SSH
>>
File: 1468252758469.png (3MB, 4020x7373px) Image search: [Google]
1468252758469.png
3MB, 4020x7373px
>Intro to ufw
>>
File: 1447777979081.jpg (23KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1447777979081.jpg
23KB, 400x300px
>>55714254
Old thread: >>55693288

>>55714254
>>55714283
>>55714298
saved
>>
>>55714254
shit I thought internet by usb would be way harder than that for some reason
need to try
>>
I'm going to install Gentoo on one of my machines and wondered, do I _have_ to include/exclude every USE flag or should I only include the ones that I want and exclude just the ones that I absolutely don't want?
What happens if I don't {ex|in}clude USE flags? Does portage still compile them in ?
>>
>>55714254
>that image
nothing gets my goat more than incorrect useage of i.e.; those should all e.g.
e.g. shows examples
i.e. shows equivalency
it's not fucking hard people
>>
>>55714376
It's cool to see an overview, but nobody use that please. There's a good wiki for a reason.
>>
>>55714408
How's that different from the wiki?
>>
File: 1468236108956.png (493KB, 3000x1568px) Image search: [Google]
1468236108956.png
493KB, 3000x1568px
>>55714254
Some Anon made this.
>>
What's the name of that terminal-based music player software that people like using on Linux?
>>
>>55714549
MPD (Music Player Daemon)
https://www.musicpd.org/
>>
>>55714567
thank you, sir.
>>
File: 1459623378163.png (19KB, 1754x2480px) Image search: [Google]
1459623378163.png
19KB, 1754x2480px
>>
>>55714549
ncmpcpp
>>
>>55714423

Because it only shows one very specific setup.
Do you also like drinking your water from downstream when everyone took a shit into it and polluted it with everything?
>>
Where's the definitive guide of setting up rtorrent+rutorrent?

>>55714677
>$man mail-server
>$man gpu-passthrough
>Doesn't work
Fuck off
>>
>>55714708

>i need infographics to explain everything to me
>i have ADD and can't read standalone text found on websites or documentation provided by the things i intend to use
>>
>>55714722
Where the fuck is your man page now?
>>
>>55714722
I spent one day reading xorg and gnome manpage and the online shit. It's all obscure bullshit. Nobody tells you (for example) that gnome reconfigure the xorg and doesn't give a fuck about your xorg.conf.
>>
>>55714686
ncmpcpp is only the ui for accessing the music player; mpd is what actually plays the music
>>
What are the advantages of using Linux over windows?
>>
>>55714746

Far more configurable to a specific task
>>
File: 1438975970441.png (170KB, 695x1535px) Image search: [Google]
1438975970441.png
170KB, 695x1535px
>>55714746
>>
>>55714743
>>55714733

It's not about man-pages. It's about going to the original guides and instructions provided by the creators. If you can't get it from upstream, get it from somewhere reputable, as close to upstream as possible.
>>
>>55714746
-Faster, customizable
-Runs without BSOD for ages without needing to reboot
-Has less background process, less crash prone
-Little amount of malware written for it
-SSH fileservers, SSH proxy etc
-Free
-Updates doesn't take long, systemwide updates
-No remote shutdown/boot up
-Runs almost everywhere, phones, PCs, routers, servers
-Can harden security and privacy
-A working package manager
>>
>>55714763
Well then I search like shit or something. Yesterday I was stuck for 3+ hours just trying to switch primary screen (with gnome installed, the login went on my dead laptop screen). So I tried to do it by cli and that's hard because even the wiki suggest using this gui or that gui thing you can't access. Same shit for network managers, they all want you to use a gui on debian for some reason.

Really frustrating day tho, today I went with debian minimal without much problem on two computers
>>
>>55714746
It makes your epenis grow.
>>
>>55714746
tiled window managers
possibility for extreme ricing
you have a better understanding of how your computer works
fun
and finally, if you manage to sleep with a woman, you can consider it a double victory - not only did you have to prove yourself attractive to successfully lure a female into coitus, but you also had to be outgoing enough to overcome the debilitating social shunning directed towards all linux users
>>
>>55714760
Is privacy and security really such a concern with Windows? I have Windows 7

>>55714755
I'll be using it for writing
>>
>>55714940
>Is privacy and security really such a concern with Windows? I have Windows 7
It's a question you have to ask yourself (privacy)
I don't really care about it, I still have linux on half of my comps.
>>
File: 1458856047177.jpg (84KB, 800x672px) Image search: [Google]
1458856047177.jpg
84KB, 800x672px
Thoughts on Hanna Montana Linux?
>>
>>55715048
What does [ -z "$DISPLAY" do and why does it only works on one of my two computers? (One says there's a missing [ )
if [ -z "$DISPLAY" ] && [ $(tty) == /dev/tty1 ]; then
startx
fi

(And if anyone has a better way to have startx on login)
>>
I want a lightweight debian on my raspberry.

Putting raspbian on a sd card and removing gui and shit after is the only option?
>>
>>55715255
Debian minimal for ARM?
>>
>>55715235
-z asks "if zero"
so -z "$DISPLAY" asks if the DISPLAY variable is zero (the variable is automatically set and always zero when you're on a tty)
the second condition checks if you're on tty1 (CTRL+ALT+F1)

theres also a variable for the current tty.

Try this:
if [ -z "$DISPLAY" ] && [ "$XDG_VTNR" -eq 1 ]; then
startx
fi
>>
Is there any reason to use a different password for root and a user which has sudo access?
>>
>>55715335
limiting confusion
>>
>>55715335
Unless you have a chance of getting infected by a sophisticated malware, no
It's a good practice to have different passwords though
>>
>>55715335
Why do you want a root password?
>>
>>55715364
Why do you want a user password?
>>
>>55715378
Are you stupid?
>>
>>55715382
Are you?
>>
how does WINE work?

you install it, run a windows .exe file, and hope it works?
>>
>>55715468
Install playonlinux
Install stuff from there
Hope it works
>>
>>55714872

>you have a better understanding of how your computer works
No, you don't. Knowing what your window manager is called doesn't mean you know how a computer works.
>>
>>55715335
>>55715364
>>55715378
>>55715382
>>55715411

You shouldn't really ever have to log in as root.
1) having a root account which you can log in as gives people a known target to brute force.
2) you dont need root to unfuck anything if you have hardware access.
>>
>>55715505
But knowing what daemons run at bootup, what ports and what IPs to allow, deny and log, knowing what framework is an application will work on, how does the display server is forwarded, how ACPI calls are handled from their conf file, knowing what mirrors are prioritised, what DNS server is being used, what are the file systems and mountpoints of each USB interfaces, what kernel parameters are loaded teaches you how your computer works
>>
>>55715555

>But knowing what daemons run at bootup,
You can find that out on Windows as well.

>what ports and what IPs to allow
You can do that on Windows too.

>knowing what framework is an application will work on
What are you even trying to say?

>how does the display server is forwarded
Not everyone forwards X11. Doing it doesn't mean you understand how it works. It only means you set it up by following a guide.

> knowing what mirrors are prioritised
How is that useful for 99% of the people? How is such a minor thing a worthwhile reason to switch an operating system?

> what DNS server is being used
You can choose your DNS servers on Windows too.

>what are the file systems and mountpoints of each USB interfaces
You can find out the file system of your USB flash drives on Windows too. The mount point one is very specific and I don't see how that's significant when comparing operating systems.

>what kernel parameters are loaded teaches you how your computer works
No. Reading about low-level programing, electronic engineering and physics would teach you how a computer works.

>how ACPI calls are handled from their conf file,
That's the only thing which is somewhat relevant in this comparison between the operating systems. Still, for the average user that's useless, since he won't bother with it anyway. The only acpi events people bothered with were the lid close and power button events, but since systemd those are handled by logind and there's no reason to fiddle with scripts any more.

t. not-deluded linux user
>>
>>55715634
>linux user
>>
>>55715657

Yes, that's the kernel I'm currently running.
>>
>>55715634
>You can find that out on Windows as well.
May be it does but the options are limited and windows doesn't want to force you to do it. Windows is not a DIY OS. DIY OS' teach you how things work

>application framework
Google

>How display server is forwarded
Windows doesn't have that, does it? However in Linux you can tweak the forwarding to your preference. Do windows users know bow windows are rendered?
I thought so, it's not even open source

>How is that useful for 99% of the people?
It's useful for people who do not want to sit back and watch windows update fro 3 hours

>what DNS server is being used
Does DNSMasq and Unbound work in windows?

>You can find out the file system of your USB flash drives
So how do I find out what my mount/journaling options are in drive C:\\?

>what kernel parameters are loaded teaches you how your computer works
You haven't answered that

>how ACPI calls are handled from their conf file
>average user
So it's that same excuse of "average user" again. If you are not interested in computer technology why are you in /g/ actually? Tech support?
>>
>>55715736
>bow
how*
>>
>>55715468
Search in the application database
https://www.winehq.org/
e.g. https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=74
Some will have special instructions, most will have a rating of how well they work, if it has a garbage or bronze rating, you shouldn't expect it to fully function. silver and gold usually work fine, depending on wine version.
>>
lubuntu user here

installed "master PDF editor" with the .deb package from the original source, the installation showed no erros but the application doesnt start
what do ? someone on stackex. has exactly the same problem, but noone answered it
>>
File: a.png (132KB, 371x515px) Image search: [Google]
a.png
132KB, 371x515px
Hey fellas, what's the best way to test out desktop environments if I'm currently using GNOME 3? I'm on Debian Jessie if that helps.

Should I use a VM, or is there a way to safely test them without potentially ruining my system?
>>
>>55715765
Did you actually buy it?
>>55715779
VM or docker containers
>>
>>55715779
VM, DEs may overwrite each others settings
This isn't true for WMs tho
>>
>>55715765
./opt/master-pdf-editor-3/masterpdfeditor3

What is the terminal output?
>>
>>55715765
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install libqt5printsupport5

When I'm running it, it says it cannot find libqtprintsupport.so ... found the package using the synaptic package manager, it might work for you.
>>
>>55715765
Just tested this

1. Install any Qt application
#apt install vlc
2. Download the tar file then
#tar -xvf master-pdf-editor-3.7.10_qt5.amd64.tar.gz && sudo ./master-pdf-editor-3/masterpdfeditor3

You don't really need to install it
>>
>>55715799
no didnt buy, ubuntu wiki says you dont need to buy it
>>55715812
file or directory not found
i found the folder, it contains the lang folder a .png, license.txt and the file masterpdfeditor3 (which doesnt react when I run it)
>>
>>55715933
What happens when you do this? >>55715916
>>
>>55715321
Same error, it says there's a ] missing.

It's in .bash_profile, I tested and it's exactly this line that cause this error, without the if it does startx.

Even more strange it works on my other computer.. They have the exact same setup except one has amd64 debian and the other i386 debian. Otherwise I've installed the same exact stuff.
>>
>>55716007
Try the bash way:

if [[ -z "$DISPLAY" && "$XDG_VTNR" -eq 1 ]]; then
startx
fi

but the other way should work too, pretty strange
>>
>>55715736

>May be it does but the options are limited and windows doesn't want to force you to do it.
The options are the same as with, let's say, systemd. Compare that recent GTK3 front-end for systemd with Windows' service manager program and you'll have the same options.

>Google
Search what? How does the fact that a certain program is using GTK3 or another Qt5 teach you about computers? Does knowing that Windows program uses WinForms or .NET or whatever they're using teach you about computers?

>Windows doesn't have that, does it? However in Linux you can tweak the forwarding to your preference. Do windows users know bow windows are rendered?
First of all, I don't know if there's a way on Windows to forward the screen to another computer. Secondly, neither do you or the average GNULinux user know how windows are "rendered". Just because you know it's using the X windowing system, doesn't mean you or they know how it's being displayed on a technical level. Stop being so pretentious.

>It's useful for people who do not want to sit back and watch windows update fro 3 hours
How do you know that the downloading part of updating is the bottleneck for Windows updates? You don't and I seriously doubt the downloading part is what's making it take so long.

>Does DNSMasq and Unbound work in windows?
I don't know. Even if it doesn't, how does that specific thing "teach you how computers work"?

>So how do I find out what my mount/journaling options are in drive C:\\?
You're comparing functionality which isn't intended and out of place in a product. That's like me asking "how do I assign my HOME directory the C: drive letter?".

>You haven't answered that
Answered what? Even compiling a kernel won't teach you how a computer works. It will "teach" you how you compile and enable a kernel module/option and that's it. It won't even teach you anything about that option/module, unless you specifically go and read about it.

>why are you on [...]
Because I want to.
>>
>>55715916
did the first thing
had to do apt-get -f install
but the tar code gives:
master-pdf-editor-3/masterpdfeditor3.desktop
./master-pdf-editor-3/masterpdfeditor3: error while loading shared libraries: libQt5PrintSupport.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

i have the tar file and also did cd Downloads

thank you for the help so far
>>
>>55716177
You don't have the dependencies installed. You will need to install them. running it from the terminal like you did will tell you what is missing.
>libQt5PrintSupport.so.5.
This is the library it is missing. Try google to find which package provides this.
>>
How come whenever I boot linux and then go back to windows on my dual boot setup my mouse and keyboard no longer work unless I turn the power off for a while? Quite infuriating and I'm sure I'm just being a retard and missing something
>>
Honestly I would switch to Linux in a heartbeat If I didn't play a bunch of old games and VNs.
>>
>>55716338
>Try google
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>55716105
>>55716105
No error but now it doesn't work (I still use $(tty) because the variable is working and $XDG_VTNR isn't defined).

>[[-z "DISPLAY" ]] && echo true
expected binary operator
syntax error near "true"
>[[ "ok" = "ok"]] && echo true
true

What the fuck.

II don't know what's going on
I ran the two exact same line and one return an error (the one baove) the other ran fine.

I've got one line [[ "ok" = "ok" ]]&& echo true that doesn't work (every time I run it again with the up arrow key)
It makes no sense, sometimes I just need to erase and rewrite [[ "ok" = and it works, other time only ]] and what.

I think there's a ghost.
>>
Is there a way to have ffmpeg output something only using three colors?
>>
>>55716394
[ and [[ both need spaces

>[[-z "DISPLAY" ]] && echo true
>[-z "DISPLAY" ] && echo true
will fail

>[[ -z "DISPLAY" ]] && echo true
>[ -z "DISPLAY" ] && echo true
will success
>>
>>55716346
What old games? There is retroarch.
>>55716351
Kill yourself moron.
>>
>>55716338
did sudo-apt install libqt5printsupport5
and then the tar code
the editor starts now
>>
>>55716394
XDG_VTNR is ofc not defined when you're not in a tty

>>55716452
enjoy your botnet
>>
So when will kubuntu 14 users get the new 16 updates?
>>
>>55716346
Old games are actually best for playing through WINE, it's more so newer things that have issues.
>>
>>55716394
type bash
then try it
>>
>>55716465
>thinks google isn't a verb
I feel sorry for you son.
>>
>>55716482
go away tripfag
>>
>>55716485
>being a dense normalfag
>>
>>55716440
>>55716482
>>55716465

That's the right error indeed.

Now to explain why and how I typed an invalid space.. Because I've got two lines in my bash that are exactly the same, if I just rewrite the " ]] part, it works. So I've got an incorrect space for some reason what the heck..

Oh god I found it. Alt gr + space produce a space. I don't know what space but it's not the correct space (however, it's EXACTLY the same as the normal one) and I must have touched alt gr (which is next to the space bar) while typing.

Why do I always end up spending one hour on a stupid thing? And it's still basically my fault. ;_;
>>
>>55716516
go "search on the internets" granddad.
>>
>>55716394
[ is actually a command, so use it like a command, hence >>55716440

man [
>>
>>55716569
No the code was right, I copied it here wrong sorry. (there's a space missing on both anyway.)

>>55716544
it's alirght guys, I just stumbled on a feature https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=284724

How do I remap this shitty key? (I have to use it to type [ hence if I don't release it quick enough before pressing space I get a non breaking space.
>>
>>55714254
what happend to the linux video torrents? can so upload these to uploaded.net?
>>
>>55716625
old thread 404'd before someone made a new one, so I guess OP pasted an older version
see >>55714340
>>
>>55716640
thank you
>>
>>55716164
>you'll have the same options.
Again, windows won't force you to get your hand dirty

>How does the fact that a certain program is using GTK3 or another Qt5 teach you about computers?
I see you googled. Now use your common sense and ask yourself why there are two versions of transmission: gtk and qt and which one works in windows. If you are on a gtk-based DE you would want to stay away from Qt based applications since it pulls in bloat.

>I don't know if there's a way on Windows to forward the screen to another computer.
There's none
>Just because you know it's using the X windowing system,
Yes I do, and I know and have the freedom to customize the way X is compiled, unlike windows.

>How do you know that the downloading part of updating is the bottleneck for Windows updates?
By seeing download being stuck at 25%
By seeing installing updates not being stuck at all

>I don't know if DNSMasq works or not
It interacts with DHCP and DNS is one of the core parts of Network stack so yeah, it teaches how computers work. Click install wont teach you a thing
>You're comparing functionality which isn't intended and out of place in a product
Every mount has been mounted with specific options. For Linux/BSD you actually can see/manage/tweak them. You can do that on windows as well, with third party softwares, newfag

>Even compiling a kernel won't teach you how a computer works
Oh boy, this is a big one. Kernel is the operating system. You changing/tweaking your own kernel modules essentially means you know what you are doing. If you are depmoding pcspkr, you know what module it is deleting. If tweaking your own kernel doesn't teach you about your operating system, may be programming your kernel teach you?

To bad you can't view NT's source.

>I want to be in /g/ because I want to fit in
Then find other places for shitposting. /b/ is more appropriate

/g/ is for tech enthusiasts, "average users" stay out
>>
File: muhnips.png (205KB, 354x528px) Image search: [Google]
muhnips.png
205KB, 354x528px
>>55716758
>defending Windows
>get your hand dirty
>hand
>>
>>55716758

>Again, windows won't force you to get your hand dirty
Neither do certain distributions.

>would want to stay away from Qt based applications since it pulls in bloat.
Chances are you already have the Qt libraries installed, therefore it's not "bloat". Neither is it bloat if you need it. You should look up the definition of bloat before throwing that word around.

>By seeing download being stuck at 25%
And you think that choosing a "better" mirror for the Windows updates will make it "install faster"? How do you know the progress indicator is representative of the actual download progress (that it's not just there to please the user)? How do you know that you're not already maxing out your bandwidth for the download?

>Kernel is the operating system
It's really not, but I'm sure there resident interjection poster will inform you shortly about it.

>may be programming your kernel teach you?
Indeed, programming your own kernel will teach you a part of how a computer works.
>>
>>55716835
see >>55716493
>>
>>55716862
>certain distributions.
Then you can compile your own stuff in certain distros, even your desktop environment, dhcp and network manager, display server etc.

>Bloat
Yes, you call transmission-Qt bloat in gtk systems and vice-versa.
There are distros that only have one application framework out there as well.

>it's not just there to please the user
Okay, so you are saying when windows says "downloading" or "installing" it lies? wow really convenient for your "argument"
there

>Kernel is not the operating system
Kernel is the operating system.
GNU includes a kernel named Linux-libre. Many users use Linux instead of Linux-libre because of compatibility reasons. It's a Linux version of GNU so it's called GNU/Linux

>Indeed, programming your own kernel will teach you a part of how a computer works.
Nice, Linux can actually be forked and thus teaches you how computer works (By your definition). So NT fails here?
>>
>>55717005
>It's a Linux version of GNU so it's called GNU/Linux
You what?
Linux is not a linux version of anything. You choose to call it gnu/linux because some fat broke man cries about getting credit for his work.
>>
>>55717082
>Changing the topic
Linux-libre is a fork of Linux. Use google
>>
>>55717114
Yes, linux is not a of gnu version of anything, which is what you stated.
>>
File: 1441585615216.png (208KB, 488x481px) Image search: [Google]
1441585615216.png
208KB, 488x481px
>>55717114
>google
>>
>>55717128
Linux-libre is now part of GNU :)
>>
Opinions on NixOS? It looks pretty interesting.
>>
>>55717141
Post boipucci
>>
>>55717005

>There are distros that only have one application framework out there as well.
Name one that isn't Chakra.

>Okay, so you are saying when windows says "downloading" or "installing" it lies? wow really convenient for your "argument"
there
My argument was that treating the ability to choose where to download packages from is such a minor feature, that it's worthless to discuss it.

>GNU includes a kernel named Linux-libre.
What? No, GNU doesn't "include" anything. They might endorse the libre version of the kernel. You should also look up HURD.

>It's a Linux version of GNU so it's called GNU/Linux
That's one of the most retarded things I have read and someone already called you out on it above.

>Nice, Linux can actually be forked and thus teaches you how computer works (By your definition). So NT fails here?
You went so deep off the track that I can't even follow you any more. Yes, you can look at the source code of the Linux kernel and use it to learn about how kernels and computers to some extent work. You can't do that with Windows. You don't learn about the "kernel" by adding a kernel parameter to your bootloader. That was the point.
>>
>>55717175
Yes, I understand what a fork is. Linux is not a version of anything gnu. Linux-Libre is a version of Linux.
>>
>>55717209
Guess you don't.
>>
>>55717114
>Use google
wtf man, go back to windows if you like being spied on
>>
>>55717238
Linux-libre is a fork of linux. Linux is not a fork of Linux-libre. Therefore, linux-libre is a version of linux, not the other way around.
>freetards in charge of logic
>>
>>55717191
>Name one that isn't Chakra.
KDE NEON
Also, isn't chakra enough to prove my point?

>My argument was that treating the ability to choose where to download packages from is such a minor feature, that it's worthless to discuss it.
Again, I don't like to wait for 3/4 hours for my PC to update

>GNU doesn't "include" anything
GNU is a project and it has both Linux-libre
and HURD. Both are GNU

>That's one of the most retarded things I have read
You are not giving any argument

>kernel parameter to your bootloader
What?
Also, you are not contradicting the part where I said you can fork Linux and make your own kernel while you can't do the same with NT, if that what teaches you "how computer works"

>>55717271
Linux-Libre is a fork of linux, GNU has their own Linux kernel, moron
>>
>>55717304
>Linux-Libre is a fork of linux, GNU has their own Linux kernel, moron
Yes, well done. Linux is not a fork of Linux-Libre, which is what you were suggesting.
>>
>>55717317
When did I say Linux is a fork of Linux-Libre? See >>55717114
>>
>>55717343
Jesus christ
>needing this much spoonfeeding
>>
Has anyone been able to install any distro on the T440 successfully? I install it, but the wifi always disconnects. It definitely reads my wifi card, but it simply will not connect. Any tips?
>>
>>55717304

>KDE NEON
Neon is based on Ubuntu and Ubuntu has the GTK libraries in its repository. Yes, Chakra is a really stupid example to prove your point. Only an idiot would go out of his way to cripple himself with a repository which has less software, for no good reason. You can't name any other distribution.

>Again, I don't like to wait for 3/4 hours for my PC to update
Get a better internet connection.
>>
>>55717380

Post logs. Post how you tried to connect. Post the hardware information.
Do you expect people to be clairvoyant?
>>
>>55717410
>for no good reason
It is all about convenience.
Chakra offers better solutions to kde users for software which is usually build wrong.
Good examples is firefox and libre office
>>
>>55717366
>Completely runs out of argument
>"Jesus christ needing this much spoonfeeding"

Fuck off

>>55717410

I like how you silently moved away from the other points though, let me debunk the two you have now.

Neon doesn't ship with gtk applications, you can edit chakra to install gtk applications as well
So, there are 2 distros for you that doesn't come with applications from different
framework. Oh, yeah Slitaz, make that 3.

>Get a better internet connection
I don't think ~1GiB of update would take me whole night, specially at 10Mbps. Linux doesn't have this problem
>>
Sup fglt, is there a way to add extra modifiers with xkb? Currently using a fairly customized layout, but I'd like to add an additional modifier key on my keyboard. Basically what I want is to make the å key (norwegian layout) act as if ctrl, alt+gr and shift are held down at the same time.

It's sort of contrived, but it's the best way to add hjkl navigation on a colemak layout keyboard using spacemacs...
>>
What is the best way to use a laptop with amd switchable graphics with linux?
>>
>>55717488

Someone else already told you about the other points.

>Neon doesn't ship with gtk applications,
That wasn't the point. We were talking about GTK libraries not being available in certain distributions. They ARE IN THE REPOSITORIES, therefore they are available and you can install them. Before this, you for some reason mentioned the GUI toolkits as a "Linux" only feature. I didn't really know what that had to do with the choice of operating system and "learning how computers work". Software is written with a specific GUI toolkit. GIMP is using GTK on Windows and on Linux. qBittorrent is using Qt on Linux and on Windows.

I don't know about Slitaz and I can't find a link to their repositories to see what they're offering. Again, how is crippling your repositories/number of packages relevant to the discussion again?

>I don't think ~1GiB of update would take me whole night, specially at 10Mbps. Linux doesn't have this problem
Again, that has NOTHING TO DO WITH BEING ABLE TO CHOOSE MIRRORS. It has to do with the size of the updates themselves. We were talking about THE ABILITY TO CHOOSE MIRRORS feature.
>>
File: SCR_1469289403.png (5KB, 384x114px) Image search: [Google]
SCR_1469289403.png
5KB, 384x114px
Piccrelated is the time setup of my Arch Linux PC.
The city will move clocks permanently 1 hour forwards today. Should I have even slightest hope for this to happen automatically on my PC?
>>
>>55717488
>debunk
Where do you think you are, a conspiracy forum?
>>
>>55717712
>ARE IN THE REPOSITORIES
Yes
>Are the distros functional without them
Yes
>Is there any functional a gtk/qt only distro
Yes
>One of the reasons they do it because they want to prevent bloat
Yes
>You know what toolkit your Linux DE is using
Yes
>You don't know what toolkit windows is using
Yes
>You know more about your Linux DE than windows
Yes
Bottomline: You know and follow while using a Linux DE because you know how it works and integrates with the applications. You know your Linux DE better

>NOTHING TO DO WITH BEING ABLE TO CHOOSE MIRRORS
Isn't knowing your mirrors and sorting them going to let you know more about your system

>>55717744
>debunk
diːˈbʌŋk
verb
expose the falseness or hollowness of (an idea or belief).
>>
I fucked up alsa or pulse or something on Arch ages ago and broke audio somehow. Now I'm trying to fix it.

pavucontrol says 'No cards available for configuration' on the Configuration tab. Output Devices just has Dummy Output.

alsamixer's default card is PulseAudio. Also available is UM-ONE. This is a MIDI interface, not what I want. I need HDMI audio via nvidia GF114. PulseAudio has one volume channel in alsamixer. The volume is up and is not muted.

aplay -l says:
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****

The list is empty.

speaker-test makes pulse's Dummy Output play audio as visible in pavucontrol, but I can't hear anything.

lspci finds my card:
01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GF114 HDMI Audio Controller (rev a1)
Subsystem: eVga.com. Corp. Device 1460
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 5
Memory at fea7c000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: <access denied>

01:00.1 is the one I want.

aplay fails:
$ aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front Center.wav
ALSA lib pcm dmix.c:1029:(snd pcm dmix open) unable to open slave
aplay: main:786: audio open error: No such file or directory
>>
When did these threads become full of such obnoxious cunts?
>>
Hi, what's the xorg.conf equivalent of
xrandr --output LVDS1 --off

tried to put option "ignore" "true" to the LVDS but I3 still won't use the whole screen.
>>
File: ddos.jpg (77KB, 800x320px) Image search: [Google]
ddos.jpg
77KB, 800x320px
>>55717891
GNU/Summer
>>
>>55717896
Just put
exec xrandr --output LVDS1 --off
in your i3 config.
>>
>>55717820

>You don't know what toolkit windows is using
You can find that out, just as you can find it out on Linux if it's of interest to you.

>Isn't knowing your mirrors and sorting them going to let you know more about your system
No, it's going to maybe give you faster download speeds when you update your computer.
>>
>>55718002
How is it going to download faster if I don't know where the mirror config is stored? What toolkit does windows 10 use?
>>
I can't see the friendly in this linux thread
>>
File: C6nVMnC.jpg (67KB, 453x604px) Image search: [Google]
C6nVMnC.jpg
67KB, 453x604px
Need a big guy that used parted at least once in their life ITT:
>>55716117
>>
>>55718027

>how is it going to download faster if I don't know where the mirror config is stored?
I don't know and I don't really care. I assume Windows automatically resolves your location and choose the closest mirror. The point was that changing download mirrors for something doesn't teach you anything about how a computer works.

>What toolkit does windows 10 use?
I assume Windows programs use one of these:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_widget_toolkits#On_Microsoft_Windows
>>
>>55718062
>GNU parted
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GNU_Parted
>>
>>55718084
>I don't know and I don't really care.
As I said before, /g/ is for tech enthusiasts.
Okay you don't know because windows restricts you from getting your hands on the OS.
>I don't really care
You are in denial

>changing download mirrors for something doesn't teach you anything about how a computer works.
It does, for example if the source config file is available you can select/deselect updates from certain sources. If you want you can blank the source/or get only specefic updates such as security/32bit/64bit library etc. You can partially select/deselect your update sources so your kernel version may remain unchanged. You can determine which version of packages your system stay with.

>One of these
Which one for MPC?
>>
>>55718062

I thought her foot was a weird looking dick at first.

I am disappointed now.
>>
Does anyone here have a driver for the PlayStation eye?
>>
>>55718260

>You are in denial
I'm not in denial, I just don't use Windows.

>It does, for example if the source config file is available you can select/deselect updates from certain sources. If you want you can blank the source/or get only specefic updates such as security/32bit/64bit library etc. You can partially select/deselect your update sources so your kernel version may remain unchanged. You can determine which version of packages your system stay with.
That has nothing to do with the mirrors. The things you listed are package manager options.

>Which one for MPC?
I think it uses the MFC[0]. But I don't really care and if you do care, you should ask on one of their support channels. I don't understand what you're trying to prove with this.

[0]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Foundation_Class_Library
>>
>>55718452
What do you think your package managers read first?
>>
>>55718525

We were talking about mirror locations. Servers from where to DOWNLOAD updates. All mirrors contain the same data, therefore the name mirrors. When you choose a mirror, the only difference it makes to you is their location and its effects on your download.
Here >>55715555 is your original post if you already forgot what you wrote.

>knowing what mirrors are prioritised
>>
>>55718624
Please kill yourself in a friendly manner.

Nobody cares.
>>
>>55718641

In case you're that guy:

>gets proven wrong
>kill yourself, no one cares
>>
>>55718276
Took me a while to understand the picture kek
>>
>>55717944
thanks it worked.. Tried putting it in xinitrc but that doesn't work for some reason.

This is the kind of thing I don't like about linux, I've got some config in xorg, some with xrandr.. lots of different places and stuff.
>>
daily reminder

http://xahlee.info/linux/why_tiling_window_manager_sucks.html
>>
>>55719341
>i was too stupid to figure it out therefore it's bad
>>
>>55719356
>Tiling windows… Do you really need to look at ALL the windows at once?
>>
>>55719387
It's a citation from the page.
>>
>>55719302

According to some internet searches, you can put that into an xorg.conf file. Personally, I prefer only using xorg.conf files and it works fine for me so far.
>>
>>55719432
I am the dumb.

> you do have a keyboard with extra keys, remove ALL keybinding that involves holding a modifier. Remove them ALL. Never press a key combination.

What the hell is this guy's problem?
>>
>>55719448
I'd like to only use xorg.conf files!

You mean putting the xrandr command in the xorg.conf?
I've searched for an equivalent in xorg but yeah, doesn't work.
>>
I wish GNU/Linux had the same battery life as Windows ;_;
Looking at powertop the wakeups/s aren't that bad when idling (26.1), the difference is about 1W in idle (7 vs 8W on average).
But the moment I do anything on Linux and the power consumption jumps far more.
>>
>>55719450
Just wanted to troll a bit here, he gets destroyed in comments already.

I'm getting really tired of clicking on stupid bus. Can't we switch to another site one day..?
>>
If only I could filter all those out of date and shitty article about linux. Why does every incompetent random dude likes to share his way of doing thing on every tool while I'm searching for an answer?

What are the best sites to get an answer? (about debian, for example)
>>
>>55719981
Regardless of distro, Arch Wiki, Ubuntu forums, and Stack Exchange forums are the best sources of information.
>>
File: 1401161182111.jpg (166KB, 626x700px) Image search: [Google]
1401161182111.jpg
166KB, 626x700px
Anybody on Debian unstable? A few days ago, an update seems to have broken LibreOffice and now, trying to upgrade its impossible because of broken packages and trying to fix the broken packages results in errors. Is libreoffice-common broken server-side or something?
>>
>>55714439
This graphic is retarded. Remove this.

Anything that points to anything but: Windows, Mac OS, CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, Arch, Mint or TempleOS is lying.
>>
>>55720029
I need to set a custom search just for linux problems
>>
>>55720294
literally just append 'linux' to your search terms'
>>
noob question for a new emacs user
how can I set it so that, when I launch emacs, it enters java-mode and linum-mode?
I've tried (setq-default java-mode) and (setq-default linum mode) but those don't seem to work.
Thanks.
>>
File: 494216 - bird featured_image.png (109KB, 440x469px) Image search: [Google]
494216 - bird featured_image.png
109KB, 440x469px
>>55720315
>99% of results are from ubuntu forums.
>>
>>55720430
Add this line to your ~/.emacs for line numbering
(set-default 'line-number-mode t)

For java mode, it should be used only for java file.
(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.java$" . java-mode))
>>
I'm running a headless Ubuntu server at home.

Any way to convert videos real comfy and remotely?

Maybe something accessible over a browser like webmin but for converting videos?
>>
>>55720523
ffmpeg
>>
>>55720549
I need something pretty retard proof, Ive never converted anything with using just CLI. I don't know shit about scripting either.
>>
>>55720652
ffmpeg -i video.mpg video.mp4
>>
>>55719981
http://askubuntu.com/
Since Ubuntu is a fork of Debian.
>>
>>55720479
the java mode one worked if i'm opening a .java file, but the line number one didn't. I'm putting this in ~/.emacs
>>
>>55720675
Yeah I get that but as soon as it comes to batch operations it gets more complicated.
>>
>>55720798
>but the line number one didn't.
Strange. It works for me. Maybe we're not talking about the same thing.
>>
>>55720928
What do you need to do? Batch operating in UNIX are not so complicated, but they do require you to know what to do.

For example, if you want to run this command to convert all mpg files in the current folder to mp4, you would do this:

for a in ./*.mpg; do ffmpeg -i $a ${a: : -4}.mp4; done

Does that help?
>>
>>55721054
When I want to view something with line numbers, it's linum-mode, but (set-default 'linum-mode t) doesn't work to initialize emacs with it.

I think we are talking about different things, because M-x line-number-mode disables whatever you told me to put into .emacs, even if I didn't notice whatever it was.
>>
>>55721097
Quote your variables!
>>
>>55721178
Oh yeah you're right. I usually work with space-less filenames but if anon is transcoding torrent videos anime he should definitely put $a and ${a: : -4} between quotes to escape spaces.
>>
>>55721209
what is it with my typing today holy fuck
>>
>>55721097
What would I do with this? Save as file and execute in terminal or wot?
>>
Well you guys. The other day I asked you which networking manager worked well with cli on debian.

The answer was connman. Nothing fucking else. 2minutes and everything works.

Connman. Not bullshito-deprecated-wicd or bloaty-networkmanager. Connman.
>>
>>55721276
you can just run the command in the terminal as is

if you want to put this in a file, the first line should be
#!/bin/bash
. Then you must make the file executable with chmod +x filename
>>
>>55721298
netctl
>>
>>55721298
ceni you cuck nigger
>>
>>55721779
debian

>>55721815
hope you're not the guy who said wicd
>>
If I'm sure no one will use my computer while I'm logged in, it's safe to use passwordless sudo, no?
>>
>>55718624
Hey what about enabling and disabling 32/64 bit architecture? Sources.list has that listed
>>
>>55718803
>gets proven wrong
In case anyone cares,
Your meme of ">Linux teaches as much as windows about the system" got proven wrong BY YOUR OWN DEFINITION when you said programming the kernel makes you learn the system.

Linux can be forked, NT can't. So according to "your definition" NT does not help you learn about system
>>
>>55721994
>In case anyone cares,
nobody-care-kill-yourself as usual.
>>
File: ss (2016-07-23 at 12.56.33).png (23KB, 1304x811px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-07-23 at 12.56.33).png
23KB, 1304x811px
I'm using tmux and I have this window pane with the command

watch -n 1 -d sensors

But it looks like shit (pic related), how do I make it centered in the window pane?
>>
>>55717742
Huh, it actually happened automatically. I'm pretty surprised.
>>
>>55722100
>But it looks like shit
Looks how it's supposed to, friendo :^)

>how do I make it centered in the window pane?
Find a wrapper/prettyfier for sensors or write one.
>>
>>55722155
>Find a wrapper/prettyfier for sensors or write one.

Or for watch.
>>
>>55722117
Network time protocol
>>
pdf bookmarks not displaying in Evince on Debian, but I can see them on Windows using Evince aswell. What could it be?
>>
>>55722370
Probably Evince is not getting writing access to it's config folder
>>
>>55722424
Interesting, going to take a look at that.
>>
Does KDE/Plasma come with any sketchy packages that I need to watch out for? Like Zeitgeist on Gnome or any botnet shit?

I'm used to using a WM without a Desktop Environment, but I want to try out KDE for fun.
>>
>>55722533
>Zeitgeist on Gnome
What the fuck is the deal with that anyways?
>>
>>55722533
No. Also
>WM to DE
That's a big jump
>>
>>55722546
It comes with a Webkit browser, therefore
>>
>>55722533
Fucking hell it does...saw it while installing. Just...
>>
>>55722616
What does a webkit browser have to do with bundling literal spyware?
>>
>>55722763
Zeitgest is a dependency of most if not all webkit browsers. If you're using one, then its on your system until you purge it.
>>
>>55717711
Pls help ;_;
>>
My 970 is not being detected by csgo, but it is in my standard system.
I'm using ubuntu 16.04 with the latest nouveau from the official repo. Any thing else I would need?
>>
>>55722533
zeitgeist is not a botnet, retard
>>
>>55722880
Did I say it was, fuckface? Learn to read.
>>
>>55722964
Well whats your problem with zeitgeist, faggot?
>>
>>55722991
>>55722880
clam down buddy...
>>
>>55722991
Do your own fucking research shit for brains.
>>
>Windows 7 was running slow.
>"Went balls deep" (3)

Never looked back.
>>
>>55722991
Literally just look up the description for it on wikipedia and you'll know exactly why people have a problem with it being installed for no good reason.
>>
>>55722689
What "botnet shit"?
>>
>>55723148
>I dont really understand what it does
>It's bad
>>
>>55714254
this is probably not the place to ask, but I figure I might ask anyways.

Is it possible to buy [your average cheapo quadcore ARM board], install Linux on it, then make Linux a "dumb" OS? As in, I want to operate that ARM board like you do to a standard microcontroller. Apparently, that requires me to enable some real time module in the kernel, but I need very accurate timings out of the ARM board, so how can I be sure nothing else will eat any resource or take the attention away from my program? Is running an ARM board like a micro controller even possible? thanks /fglt/
>>
When I change my compositor's backend to OpenGL, my screen flashes white for a split second occasionally. This is especially noticeable when I play any 3D game. What can I do to fix this?
>>
>>55721298
>deprecated-wicd
>Latest version is 1.7.4
>released on 2016-01-25
>>
>>55720104
If you want fresh packages, just use Arch. I never had problems with LibreOffice and I still don't have.
>>
>>55723692
Literally summer.
>>
>>55723692
this is why nobody likes arch users
>>
>>55723762
What did I say? It's Debian Unstable, what did you expect. *buntu and a PPA for Libreoffice is fine too.
>>
>>55723762
What's wrong?
>>
Have you ever run a program on Wine even if there is a Linux version available? it could be because it's more stable, easier to run or anything.
>>
>>55723785
- Sid and Arch are both rolling.

- Suggesting someone to switch the distro to solve a problem is pants on head retarded.
>>
I became interested in installing Arch after reading one of these threads. However, I am a complete Linux noob. I am planning on dual booting with Win10. Any advice/tips? Do I just follow the beginners guide and google things?
>>
>>55723847
Yeah sure. I didn't tell him to switch the OS, I told him I don't experience this problem on Arch and Debian Unstable is what it's called. I'm not saying that Arch is better for everything, I would prefer Ubuntu if they had fresh packages, but at least Arch has good packages.
>>
>>55723877
If arch is your first distribution, prepare your anus.
>>
>>55723877
I commented here about Arch. My advice : DON'T. If you are a complete noob, just don't. Pick Ubuntu or something that shows you things so you don't have to run commands. I know how to do it but it's not easy for you. Also Windows 10 will fuck up GRUB after a big update and you will cannot boot into Arch and you will have to chroot.
>>
>>55723915
Agreed. Install Linux second so windows doesn't shit all over it
>>
>>55723877
Arch isn't inherently "better", it's just more minimal so that those who prefer to tinker with things can do so without too much hassle. There is absolutely no shame in using *buntu or Debian, they will most likely offer you a more enjoyable experience.

t. Arch user

PS. If you really, really want to use Arch, try Manjaro instead.
>>
>>55723968
I use Arch on my laptop because it has Intel. I prefer Ubuntu on my desktop because it plays nice with my Nvidia card. It's all about preference and things working.
>>
>>55723877
>Win10
No. Get out. Get Windows 7 Enterprise then come back.
>>
>>55723984
I had a good experience with Windows 10, not perfect but good. Too bad it is a big botnet and installs things by itself, like Get Office or Candy Crush, I already uninstalled them 7 times but they keep coming back. I use Win 8.1 + Ubuntu on my desktop. I will go back to 10 when they will fix their shit.
>>
When selecting a file from the browser(like choosing a picture to post here), how do i make it so it shows thumbnails instead of a list?

I'm on ubuntu.
>>
Best way to run Excel 2010 under Linux? Fedora 23/24, if that matters.
>>
>>55724190
The KDE filepicker has that... Sorry.
>>
>>55724225
The best way is in a VM. I don't know how well WINE is with Office 2010
>>
>>55724020
>I will go back to 10 when they will fix their shit.

spoiler: they won't
>>
>>55724020
>using the biggest botnet ever released
>gets fucked over
>uses a slightly smaller botnet that is Wangblows 8
>will go back to Windows 10 "once it's fixed"
get out.
>>
>>55724275
Windows is not and will never be my primary OS. My desktop which has 8.1 is not connected to the internet and I use it just for photo and video editing.
>>
>>55724225
VM
>>
>>55724243
>>55724299
Thanks. Best resources for learning VMs? I'm thinking arch wiki maybe?
>>
Running Xubuntu with Compton on three DellU2414H monitors. Still getting screen tearing in the browser when I scroll even on text.

I'm using proprietary nvidia drivers wtih my GTX 760. Is there something I can adjust or add here to get rid of this tearing?

~/.config/compton.config file here:

http://pastebin.com/LG1hSkzN
>>
>>55724441
You are headed the right way. Although Virtualbox has no learning curve for basic tasks
>>
Anybody have any experience with samba sharing?

I have a folder that samba is sharing on my server, which is owned by dude with owner rwx permissions and no group or other permissions. Dude is a user on the server who has a password set with smbpasswd and also has the same account password. I set the folder in samba to valid users = dude and made it writeable.

My user on windows is also dude, I get prompted with a user/password dialog but entering dude and his unix password doesn't work. Is there something I'm missing?
>>
>>55724573
Glad to know. Does running Excel fall under basic tasks?

I'm headed to bed, so thanks in advance.
>>
>>55724798
OH, I was forcing a different user in global config and I forgot. It's working now.

>>55724568
Try getting rid of your compton configuration for tearing and instead edit xorg.conf and under the "screen" section add

Option         "metamodes" "nvidia-auto-select +0+0 { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On }" 
>>
>>55723968
I switched from archlinux (which I chose only for the lightweightnes) to debian stable recently (wanted something more... stable) and the netinstall works like archlinux. Just less commands.
>>
>>55724947
I did like...20 things to fix the tearing....it worked. Something I did worked. Thanks!
>>
Running xubuntu in a vm. How do I add my own hdd's? I have them listed, but get a no permission warning when I try to access them.
>>
What font do you guys use for your UI? Stock Noto Sans is kind of bland
>>
Will PlayonLinux be able to run a Windows keygen?

It's just a standalone .exe so no install required.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160405_023020.png (322KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160405_023020.png
322KB, 1366x768px
>>55725351
Montserrat
>>
>>55725372
try it and find out...
>>
File: shooting.jpg (59KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
shooting.jpg
59KB, 960x720px
>dualboot mint on own laptop last year, works great
>try to do the same for another laptop
>can't

I've naturally undone secureboot/fastboot, enabled CSM, tried multiple versions of mint, updated UEFI, but in the best case scenario I always get stuck on a mint logo when i restart post-installation

Is it possible for UEFI to somehow prevent dualbooting altogether? By limiting it to one OS or something like that?

It seems like this shouldn't be that hard
>>
sudo systemctl suspend
doesn't work it just reboots the system. What could it be?
>>
>>55725751
acpi handling
>>
Should I use Fedora or Arch Linux?

How is Fedora 24?
>>
>>55725789
Arch
>>
Why do you see so many Arch/Windows 10 users on /g/? What is it about Arch that appeals to people that would willingly install Windows 10 on their computer?
>>
>>55725789
Arch has an implementation of FreeBSDs ports system for AUR. It's pretty convenient
>>
>>55725903
Really? What is it called?
>>
>>55725918
pkgbuild system
>>
>>55725918
>>55725903
The main repos have the same thing as well in the form of ABS

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Abs
>>
>>55715255
There is a lite version of raspbian with no gui.
>>
Does the WoW Legion prepatch work properly on GNU/Linux?
>>
File: Screenshot_20160723-110059.png (45KB, 2560x1800px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160723-110059.png
45KB, 2560x1800px
Hey guys, can I play?
>no, this is not my only GNU environment, I have root on a whole bunch of servers, and an Arch Thinkpad
>>
>Installed Arch Linux (no bully)
>Created user and added permissions
>Update pacman and get yaourt
>get pulseaudio, pulseaudio-alsa, and alsa-utils
>get Xorg packages
>get i3 and load into the WM
>testing audio
>no sound
>alsamixer shows my headphones, volume maxed, nothing muted
>not sure what to do because noob
I usually intall Gnome or KDE and everything just works. This is my first time going strait to a WM and I must have missed something. I'm troubleshooting atm but figured I'd ask here in case it's something really obvious.
>>
how do I pipe a tar of just videos into mpvso that its a playlist
aka. something like
tar tf foo.tar.xz | tar xf foo.tar.xz - -O | mpv -
>>
>>55726122
did you unmute alsa
>yaourt
why not packer?
it may also have to do with alsa settings
I had this problem since I use some obscure chromebook and required a custom alsa config
maybe its like that?
>>
>>55726006
No support for radeonsi anymore, because nobody ships LLVM 1.9. Excellent. Looks like I'm forced to use windows now.
>>
>>55726122
>pulseaudio
got ya problem right there
>>
>>55726141
>unmute alsa
I did, every bar has a green 00 under it and is maxed out.

>>55726149
What is the alternative? I just want sound dude.
>>
sudo journalctl -b
Shows me
>usb usb1-port10: over-current condition
>usb usb1-port9: over-current condition
I read in the Arch forums this could be a broken usb port, and in fact I have two usb ports in the frontpanel of the case that don't work. Is there any way to fix them?
>>
>>55726281
That sounds like a physical layer voltage problem. Unless you're handy with a soldering iron you may be fucked.
>>
>>55726122
>>55726141
Got it working. Installed pavucontrol and used it to change the output device. Glorious sound!
>>
>>55726316
So I should simply disconnect the frontpanel from the motherboard?
>>
>>55726338
That's probably the best option.
>>
Ok so what's the deal with pulseaudio and why do people shit on it everytime it's brought up? I'm honestly curious, what is the other option?
>>
Complete newfag here
Is Linux From Scratch the best way to learn Linux?
>>
>>55726456
It used to be horrible. It's pretty good nowadays. I can't get full volume out of my laptop's speakers on raw ALSA but it works with pulse just fine.
>>
How do I run a .exe with wine in Mint in silent mode?
>>
>>55726655
Maybe if you feel like committing suicide
>>
If I install linux on my macbook air will it kill its battery life?
>>
>>55726721
>silent mode
As in, no output at all?

wine program.exe &> /dev/null
>>
Any other way to detach program from console other than appending &?
>>
>>55726831
If you're running the program already...

^Z
bg
disown %1
>>
>>55726785
okay?
>>
>>55726814
I don't really know, I just read that it's a potential fix for some trouble I've had trying to install a game with PlayOnLinux. Do you know how I would go about this?
>>
>>55726885
>it's a potential fix
It's almost certainly not.
>>
>>55726878
LFS is a meme. It's designed to be basically impossible to install and really has no benefit.
>>
>>55725961
Yes but where.
>>
My graphics card is dying. I need to replace it soon. What is a good card for playing Blizzard games in wine as well as all ported steam games? 750 ti good enough? If I got a newer card like a 1060, would it work properly with GNU/Linux? I'm not going for AMD again because I'm angry that this card died after only 2 years.
>>
>>55721828
>debian
So you cant run any linux programs in debian?
First i've heard.
Guess thats why so many people with debian keep comming here for help
>>
File: google.jpg (88KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
google.jpg
88KB, 1280x720px
>>55726949
>>
>>55727001
I checked google and nobody use netctl on debian, so I won't either.

>>55727017
there's minibian, pipaOS, raspbian-ua-netinst, dietpi what the fuck am I supposed to use
>>
>>55721779
netctl is an arch only tool.
>>
>>55727049
Make your own decisions for fuck's sake. You're supposed to be a god damn adult here.
>>
>>55726655
Not for a newfag
>>
>>55726993
>NVIDIA
>Linux
o i am laffin
>>
I need to take a screenshot only of an area of my screen. What's a tool that will let me select an area before taking the screenshot?
>>
>>55727114
gnome-screenshot
>>
>>55727071
yeah like the time I had to choose between wicd and connman
I had all the info and knowledge to make the decision right? Nope, but lost hours trying to go around wicd's bugs.
>>
>>55727114
scrot -s
>>
>>55727114
ksnapshot

or whatever the option is for scrot
scrot -s maybe, read the man page.
>>
>>55727087
Most AAA titles on steam are nvidia only, because the devs were lazy.
>>
>>55727127
Yeah I'm sure no one has ever documented how to connect with debian before.
>>
>>55727128
Thanks.
>>
>>55727146
>nvidia only
Interesting. I basically only play CS:GO and KSP, so I haven't heard of this. I'd assume that means proprietary drivers only?
>>
>>55727186
Yeah. Nouveau is trash.

Also going nvidia because it's the only way to play WoW on Wine now since legion hit because radeonsi doesn't support a high enough opengl version.
>>
>>55726123
can somebody answer his
>>
File: 1469121155358.jpg (380KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1469121155358.jpg
380KB, 1024x1024px
>>55716758
>I see you Googled
Here I am, a Linux user, hoping you faggots beat the Windows guy, and I read through and see you acting retarded. This was painfully cringe-inducing. Thank you for reading.
>>
File: 1468856528190.jpg (7KB, 280x180px) Image search: [Google]
1468856528190.jpg
7KB, 280x180px
>>55716758
>>>>an unironic "NORMIES REEEEE"
>>
>>55727425
>>55727451
>samefagging a post from hours ago

nobody cares anymore
>>
>>55727475
I'm the second guy, but I'm on Overchan so there are no (You)s. I saw the first post you quoted and read the post it was replying to.
>Two people agree that someone is autistic so they're the same person
>>
How do I use an install script for PlayOnLinux? Here's the one I'm trying to use:

https://www.playonlinux.com/en/topic-11747-SteinsGate.html
>>
>>55727561
Copy the stuff between the failed
 shit into a file, run 
bash filename

Alternatively chmod +x the file and do
./filename
>>
>>55727602
wewlad. I forgot [co de] was a thing on here for a moment.

*the failed [co de] shit
>>
>>55727602
>>55727609
To make the file, do I just copy and paste it into notepad and save it as filename.sh?
>>
>>55725465
Since nobody is answering my question :(

does anyone know where I can find info about hardware-related issues with installing mint (or linux distros in general)
>>
>>55727644
google, duckduckgo, searx.me, etc.
>>
For the people that have Windows in a virtual machine, how do you do it? I mean, did you pirate that copy or did you use an old Windows serial number, or what.
>>
>>55727642
Yeah
>notepad
whatever you have for a text editor kek

Doesn't even have to be .sh technically. It could be anything or even no extension, although doing stuff like .sh at least makes it easy to see stuff separately when you ls.
>>
>>55725465
>>55727644
If you have a problem installing Mint, just use another distro. If another one works, you know it's Mint's problem, not yours.
>>
>>55725465
UEFI doesn't prevent dual-booting.

Posted from my UEFI tripleboot slackware gentoo win 10
>>
>>55727681
Strange, I did it and it gave me a "cannot execute binary file" error.
>>
>>55727663
reeee

I have googled dozens of things now and nothing has helped. I'm definitely not searching for the right stuff. I need something more along the lines of a database/manual

wikis aren't helping
mint manual is shit
>>
File: partyhard.gif (204KB, 848x480px) Image search: [Google]
partyhard.gif
204KB, 848x480px
>>55727699
>slackware
>gentoo
>win10

Found the middle-aged guy who actually has a job.
>>
>>55727686
I've tried, its definitely my problem and not mint's ._.

>>55727699
Thank you
>>
>>55727714
How are you trying to run it?
>>
>>55727766
Through Terminal
>>
>>55727772
B-but like what command are you typing? bash bla.sh or ./whatever.sh
>>
>>55727772
>>55727785

chmod u+x file.sh
>>
>>55727785
I've tried "bash filename.sh", "bash filename", "chmod +x filename.sh", etc.. What should I be doing?
>>
So, bindsym $mod+Shift+s exec "scrot -s -e 'mv ~/images/screenshots/'" is not working, however, exec scrot is. What could it be? Neither exec scrot -s nor exec "scrot -s" work.
>>
>>55727799
Okay, I'm retarded. I wasn't really paying attention to the context here. Go to the playonlinux program, tools, run a local script, run it.
>>
>>55727854
Oh, thanks. I can get it to run now, but after it asks for permission to run the script, it closes immediately after. Any idea what could be wrong here?
>>
if I do tar xf foo.tar.xz video1 -O | mpv -
will video1 be extracted to tmp?
>>
>>55727875
It gets to the point where it shows the full source of the script right? If not playonlinux is at fault.

It may be because those little icon images it links to at one point are 404s now. That might kill the whole thing. I dunno how it could be fixed because I've never really gotten into writing scripts for pol so I dunno if that stuff can be shaved away without breaking it. Sorry. I don't know what to say desu...
>>
>>55726932
>basically impossible to install
:v) maybe you just need more time with xubuntu
>>
>>55727944
I took it out and it still didn't work. Meh. I don't really care how at this point, I just want to find a way to play this game. I've been at it for most of today and made no progress in getting it to run. On Linux the installer freezes, while in a Windows 7 virtual machine it installs but refuses to launch. I'm at my wits end here. Thanks for your assistance regardless.
>>
>>55727836
#!/bin/bash
scrot -s '%y%m%d_%T.png' -e 'mv $f ~/images/screenshots/'
doesn't work while binding keys through i3 config file, but it works great if I run it from the terminal. exec xterm /path/to/script not working either. Think I'll just give up on this.
>>
>>55727989
I know it's made by the same guy but have you looked at this supposed one-click justwerks installer? https://www.playonlinux.com/en/app-1988-SteinsGate.html
>>
is there anything wrong with ubuntu unity if so what distro should i switch to
>>
>>55728023
At least as of 16.04 the Amazon spyware is disabled by default.

Issues with Unity really boil down to preference and limitation. I would liken Unity to a more cluttered Gnome3.

I would try it, and if you don't like it just switch to one of the gorillion foobuntu variants.
>>
>>55728023
There is nothing objectively wrong with Unity. A lot of people just don't like the way it looks. If you do, use it. The people hating on it are strengthened by the already-large Canonical-hate crowd, who don't like that Ubuntu is always doing crazy shit like that.
>>
http://i.4cdn.org/wsg/1469106303119.webm

what did he mean by this
>>
>>55728019
Looks like it's doing nothing again. Might have to give this one up, nothing is working.
>>
>>55728054
I think he means he never installed GNU/Linux because he never saw a point in learning how.
>>
>>55728054
I always assumed that RMS had some deep-ass Santa Claus voice.
>>
>>55728019
>>55728061
Turns out that the game installer's actually built into PlayOnLinux. I just did a search from the Install menu and it was there, and it installed perfectly. Looks like the solution was in front of me the whole time.
>>
>>55728182
Oh, great! Glad it worked for you!
>>
>Want seedbox.
>Must be compatible with Peerblock or application that utilizes I-Blocklist.
>Must support easy GUI based encryption of hard drives.

What loonix is guud?
>>
>>55728574
>easy GUI based encryption
Encryption is usually based on number theory, not GUIs. Apostol's book is a good place to start.
>>
>>55728603

Implying I want to type anything into a terminal. I simply wish to utilize an application that uses a GUI as the front end.
>>
File: 20000keks.png (533KB, 459x612px) Image search: [Google]
20000keks.png
533KB, 459x612px
>>55728624
>implying he didn't know that

He's just calling you a faggot for being unwilling to learn (or paste) a handful of simple commands, which is barely different from learning how to click on a few buttons.
>>
>>55727451
Prove me wrong, faggot
>>
http://thinkfan.sourceforge.net/

I need to use this because my laptop overheats within 10 minutes of using Linux. I use TPFancontrol in Win7, and it works like a champ.

Question: can anyone here provide a simple tutorial to install/config this thing? I just need it to turn fans to max when temps go above 78°C.

It's a Thinkpad x100e btw, running Ubuntu + Cinnamon.

If you know another solution I'll be happy to try it.
Thread posts: 354
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.