[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

23 Software Engineer No College Degree No Certifications No Debt

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 290
Thread images: 17

Software Engineer
No College Degree
No Certifications
No Debt
Poor Worthless Parents

What have you guys been doing? Why aren't you making 6-figs yet?

If you make more than 120k tell me what you do and what you think was the most important for your success.

Pic related. My direct deposit every 2 weeks (after taxes and medical and shit).
>>
What kind of software do you have in your portfolio and how well equipped is your resume?

It's kinda hard to get your foot in the industry when everyone autofilters you for not having a DEGREE and 5 years experience for an ENTRY LEVEL job.
>>
File: 328624-svetik.jpg (915KB, 2048x1362px) Image search: [Google]
328624-svetik.jpg
915KB, 2048x1362px
>>55708630
Software Engineer
No college degree
No certs
No debt
Making $2500 before taxes each two weeks
Rich as fuck parents

I'm a little behind, but getting there. I've spent the last 6 years high or withdrawing from opiate use, no regrets.
>>
System Analyst
College Degree
No Certifications
No Debt
Wealthy laid back parents

It's not like I like being a NEET, I just don't have the drive to do anything
>>
I did some odd jobs for 8 months on freelancer.com before it was completely lost to india. Worked minimal wage for a web shop on craigslist. Worked nights and weekends for 2 years and had enough experience to talk mad shit in an interview. I've never worked anywhere that didn't has some outrageous requirements. Developers don't write those anyway, secretaries copy-paste them from the internet.
>>
>>55708678
>>55708688

Congrats brothers.
>>
I get around 160k in total compensation per year. I just started this month, straight out of college. All these people saying college is a meme are memeing you.
>>
>36
>systems engineer aka "devops", I automate shit
>Work for one of those big enterprise software companies
>I'll clear $130k this year
>Two years ago I only made $65k
>I live in the Midwest where it's cheap as fuck and mostly work remote.
>>
File: 1464446548671.jpg (174KB, 1278x1854px) Image search: [Google]
1464446548671.jpg
174KB, 1278x1854px
>>55708771
>>I'll clear $130k this year
>>Two years ago I only made $65k
Same company or did you have to hop to get that raise?
>>
>>55708771
Sorry I didn't answer the questions. Most important to my success, continually learning new stuff and being aware of the gaps in the market. In other words, I figured out what skills companies were struggling to find and willing to pay top dollar for.

Just like agile methodologies, apply the practice of continuous improvement to yourself. Always be improving. Refine your resume, your skills, your interview techniques, your personality.

Above all else you need experience. Get a job, work your ass off and learn all you can to become the person you need to be for the next job you want.
>>
>>55708817
I had to hop. You always have to hop. I kept trying to get my employer to pay me market rates, they wouldn't do it and led me along for years. Luckily I developed a lot of clout in this company over the years and was really able to innovate and bring myself into the top of the talent pool. To them I was just another cog, though, and no way were going to give me any kind of big raise.
>>
Information Security (Started 2013)
Bachelors in IT (grad 2015)
No Certs (take Security+ exam in August)
~30k debt (7k student loans, 20k car, 3k credit card)
One mother quickly burning away a ~1mil insurance policy from dead father (probably 300k-ish worth of assets remaining). she doesn't work

I'm making 52k a year.
Looking for a new job now. Preliminary research indicates I can probably land a 70-80k gig.
Looking at cheaper metro areas.
>>
>>55708881
Can I ask you how you guys have coped with the loss of your father? Is your mother bad with money or was $1 million just not enough?

I was recently diagnosed with an incurable cancer and I have a stay at home mom wife and a 4 year old. I have maybe 15 years left if I'm pretty lucky and they'll be left with about $1 million when I'm gone.
>>
>>55708830

I agree with this. Never stop learning. If you enjoy what you do that shouldn't be a problem. And that first step to the next level is the hardest. If you have no professional experience you should be taking any company that will hire you for any amount. That entry on your resume will be the ticket to the first 40-60k position if you're not already there.

>>55708870

Same here man. You think if you work hard enough for one company they'l let you share the profits you create. But unless you have shares in the company they probably won't bring you in. Use your current position to train yourself and jump to the next higher paying position.
>>
File: 1468280454110.jpg (2MB, 2378x1775px) Image search: [Google]
1468280454110.jpg
2MB, 2378x1775px
>>55708870
So you went from $65k to $130k in one go? That's pretty impressive; guessing you didn't reveal your previous salary. How long did you hang around the other company and learn before you left?
>>
No degree
Graduated from a tech bootcamp, but I've been programming since 13
No debt
my parents aren't rich, we grew up poor and that is the most important part of my success thus far.
>>
>>55708919
My mother is borderline bipolar. The money was plenty, but I think she spent a lot as a coping mechanism as well. Bottom line, if they aren't good with money, better to set up money over time than lump sum.

As far as me coping, I did okay. I was I think about 20 when he passed. I regret that I was kind of distant from him. My younger brother was about 10, and he took it hard. He's pretty fragile emotionally these days and mother isn't helping much being out of the house almost 24/7 with her motorcycle riders.
>>
>>55708630
Electrical Contractor (own business)
Apprenticeship
Contractors License
No Debt
Self-funded retired parents

Earn between $4k and $15k per week depending on how hard I want to work. Some weeks I'll just do a switchboard upgrade (around $3k for ~4hours work) and that will be it for the week.
>>
>>55709012
Also, currently a fullstack web dev.
My background is mainly C++, so I'm working on an iOS project in my spare time... Wish me luck bois
>>
>>55708630

>31
>System Engineer
>Liberal arts degree
>No certs
>No debt
>Retired parents
>90K

Excellent work/life balance so unless I found a gig well into the 120s I'm not giving up what I've got.

Like others have echoed never stop doing, learning, and plan on making mistakes. Also, work on the people skills--there are a million autists and introverts in tech. Extroversion in tech opens tons of doors.
>>
>>55709022

Can you share some insights of success? When did you start your own business and what were you doing before then?
>>
>>55709034

Have you considered using cordova instead? If you're handy with javascript it pays really well. And with it and cordova you can make apps that build to all platforms. For most apps you can't see any difference in performance.
>>
>26 yr old
>C, PLSQL dev in finance
>22 K
> not pajeet.

lol so jelly of all of you.
>>
>>55709163

What country?
>>
Im worth 3billion check my portfolio
>>
>>55709052
I stared my apprenticeship when I was 17 and was finished by 21. I worked as an electrician for other electrical companies until I was 29, and decided I was sick of making others rich. The average electrician here (in Australia) earns around $31/hr, but the company they work for will easily charge over $100/hr.

Basically last 5 years I've been working for myself. The first year was tough, as I was a relative unknown and didn't pick up a whole lot of work. I started out cheap charging $60/hr +parts(+30%), and made sure I went the extra mile when doing jobs so that I got referrals. Word of mouth and reputation is what helped me get to this point, where I now get to choose what work I want to do and how much I charge. The second year I worked 7 days a week, weekend work tends to impress clients, as weekends are seen as days off. Being known as a hard worker who does right by the customer is the most important thing.

The last two years I just do whatever I want. If I don't want to do the work I tell them I have a massive backlog of jobs and won't be able to do it until Christmas. If they're happy to wait, that's fine, but normally they'll go with someone else.
>>
>>55709163
>PLSQL
>22K
I'm sorry, anon.
>>
NEET
MSc CS
rich parents tho, so no debt
>>
>>55709240

>sandbagging

Be careful of that, duder. Friend of mine was in a similar position and he ran out of work because his reputation became unavailable-the-guy.
>>
>>55709143
It sounds thrilling to be able to develop for all platforms in one language / ecosystem, but the thought of doing javascript on my own time kills me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those elitist assholes who assumes that anything JS related is for the 'web developers', but after 9 hours of looking at a codebase full of 2010 spaghetti jquery... I need some convincing to write my mobile apps in html and js.
But I'm doing some research on the framework now, thanks bro. I'm really liking the underlying MVC structure in swift but I will def be giving this a thought
>>
>ITT everyone making above average income
>>
>no job
>html, css, js noob
>>
Software Engineer
Bachelor Degree
No Certs
10k Student Loan Debt
Middle Class Parents
100k/yr.

I took this job less than a year ago. Went from 67k to 100k, moved to a nicer state.

I'm happy.
>>
>>55709039
The soft skills are what people really need to focus on. You can be a shit-tier developer but lead the team because you are good at communicating with the laymen. That's how I got where I am.

> 28
> Software Developer
> No Degree
> No Certs
> 100k
>>
>>55709307
It's a legit meritocracy baby. Welcome to tech.

>>55709283
One more thing.. I'm assuming the html / js / css gets transpiled to the respective language for each platform?
If so, this seems more like a way to transition a web app to a mobile environment without <i>too much hassle</i>
>>
>>55709337
Soft skills won't get you anywhere at any company that actually gives a crap about employee quality. People make 200k right out of college these days, 100k at 28 is nothing.
>>
>>55709282
>ran out of work
That's incredibly difficult with the Australian economy the way it is and with the severe shortage of electricians nationwide. But I'm not stressing too hard if that happens. I've just recently bought my 11th investment property and about to renovate it (adding another 2 bedrooms and a bathroom). They pay for themselves (mortgage, insurance, and rates), and at the end of the week they still give me around $1.2k play money.
>>
>>55709283

Stay away from jQuery. I don't know how it became so popular but real js developers (yah there are real ones) cringe when they hear it.

Look at Typescript. I've been using it for personal projects and my companies apps. It's ES2015 with real types. Backed/Supported by both Google and Microsoft and all new frameworks use it. It could be the turning point for you.

(Also take a look at Ionic 2. It packages a handy suite of tools and gives you a starting place for cordova apps with Angular2 and Typescript included)
>>
>>55709177
argie.

>>55709258

It's not that bad, actually like C and PLSQL. I'm polishing my webev skills to hopefully do some freelancing. We'll see.
>>
>>55708630
Systems engineer.

Getting really deep into GNU/Linux, knowing how the hotdogs are made, and being so socially retarded that I had no choice but to continue with my hobby rather than get distracted by normals.
>>
>>55709366
>Anti jq
>search for Typescript
>Microsoft comes up

I'll need a real good explanation here.
>>
>>55709314
I'm 24 and this is my last year of college. I'm a Software Dev. major and I'm wondering how the southeast is for programming jobs. Are the really good jobs not located in the SE? My biggest fear is that I'm not gonna get hired because of my lack of diversities in programming languages and I don't interview well. Also black if that matters.

Just don't wanna disappoint family by spending 7 years in college and not having a job to show for it at the end. Big fear of mine.
>>
>>55709366
Are there any advantages to this when compared to developing native mobile apps?
>>
Are there any firmware developers here? If yes:

1) do you like your job/would you recommend it?
2) how did you get into the industry?
3) what qualifications and skills should someone who just graduated college have to get an entry level position?
>>
>>55709411
If you had to spend 7 years for college you're already a lost cause.
>>
>>55709411
You might as well apply for neetbux right now.
>>
Im at just 80k total compensation, one year out of school
Not sure its worth chasing salary desu, if i can get that in the midwest i dont imagine ill be better off in the bay area or some shit
>>
>>55709422
He might have started late, or switched majors a lot, or did the whole thing as a part time student.
>>
>>55709342

It is not. Cordova (also check out Electron) creates a self contained http server and wraps your application in a browser (Webkit). So you are writing a web app essentially.

What it does add is a easily extensible layer between javascript and native code. So you can download native plugins to tap into things like the accelerometer or the phones camera easily.

https://cordova.apache.org/plugins/?q=file

Again. It's not as fast as native. But 1) With the right plugins it has the features of native 2) Most apps don't need native performance

>>55709416

See above. Advantages: One language that can be used for web/mobile/desktop (see Electron). Disadvantages: Doesn't have native performance- but like I said, you probably don't need it
>>
>>55709411

Depending on how far South East you meant, Atlanta, Raleigh. Durham and Charlotte are good places for Tech.
>>
>>55709422
That was a reality check I wasn't prepared for. So are my chances of finding a decent job (60-65k) completely shot? Because of my overstay of college?
>>
>>55709410

Haha man I know. But trust me. As much as Microshit fucks up, they did a REALLY good job with Typescript

> On my Mac
> Don't turn this into an anti Mac thread
>>
>>55709358

So basically 3 companies in the world. Soft skills are stronk
>>
>>55709429
If you want to live an extravagant lifestyle you will have less money left over in the Bay Area than the Midwest. If you life a frugal lifestyle, the Bay will be better. Consider the Seattle and Austin areas. The salaries there are almost as high as the Bay and the housing is cheaper, and there is no state income tax.
>>
>>55709419
Bump
>>
>>55709411
Hey I'm black too bro, it really doesn't matter in tech as long as you make the right connections. I've had some racist co-workers, but the thing people value most is intelligence and work ethic. Just work your ass off and be good, get that paycheck.
I'd look for meetups in your area before you even get out of college. Get a github up asap and start an interesting project!

>I feel like the thing that impressed people the most during interviews was the fact that I built cool shit, and cared about said shit

You gon' make it
>>
>>55709439
Lol exactly I was part time for a few years cause my mom was sick and I needed to pay bills to keep a roof over our heads. It was shitty, but I did it for my family.
>>
>>55709444
Wonderful! I live about 30 mins away from Atlanta and I went to a tour at the Atlanta Tech Village which was pretty cool with free beer.
>>
>>55709455
ignore the autist. you're starting late, but once you get that first job on your resume your foot is in the door. it's up to you to decide what you want to do. best thing to do is set a goal and work for it
>>
>>55709459
I'm EE not CS
not sure if there's that much lucrative hardware stuff in those areas...
>>
>>55709411

Check out jobs in the NW. Being black is immediate interview tier. If you're female and black you're already hired.
>>
>>55709463
My nigga. I have a github already with some pretty cool stuff up there (space invaders clone, Tic Tac Toe, ROT-13 algorithm, etc.) I would post it but I'm highly defensive about putting my personal work on /g/. Thanks for the kind words man.
>>
>>55709163
>23 yo
>Web dev in php
>9.5k
>IT high-school tier degree

Just started though, I have hopes I can reach 20k before I hit 30 without a collegue degree, in a 3rd world country obviously, in the US I would be earning 25k at least probably.
>>
>>55709411
>>55709463

First and foremost i'm white. So I don't know what kind of advantage that has given me (but lets face it- probably). But as I white person I agree with this. Black or white, you have to work hard. If you enjoy it, then you know you made the right decision. Don't think you've failed if you're not making 60k right away if it's not available. Be ok with spending the first 1-2 years getting your foot in the door for any job at any pay available. That resume slot is worth A LOT.
>>
>24
>making ~39k a year in a non /g/ field
>field requires degree but progress is slow due to being run entirely by boomers
>not well paid

>tfw you will probably never make more than 120k a year

I just want to own property in a city...But that seems like too steep a dream these days.
>>
>>55709506
Yeah, one of my strengths is Socket I/O so I was hoping to get with T-Mobile in Bellvue, WA as a network engineer. I'd love to live in an area where it rains all the time, much better than satans ballsack hot GA.
>>
Engineering school
Bleed my parents with ~$400 for living expences and school, monthly
No debt
No other income
>>
>>55709440
If I plan on building something with a simple interface, shouldn't I be more worried about how I handle getting information from the back-end to the client, and load balancing across servers?
>>
>>55709543
Why would you want to own property in a city? Cities are shit tier. I would understand temporarily renting for a job, but owning long term is not ideal.
>>
>>55709549

Friend of mine works there and really enjoys it. Really nice area, too. The summers in Seattle are beautiful but the rest of the year can be gloomy. If you like alcohol you're coming to the right place. Also legal pot.
>>
Slave to warehouse job
No college
No certs
No debt
Poor as fuck parents
I get paid weekly and right now make anywhere from $730-$1000 after taxes deducted weekly. To hit the higher end range I have to work 50+ hours which aint worth it in my opinion.

How do I make more moneys, /g/. I want to go back to school but it seems like I'd rack up a huge ass debt and if I were even able to find a job in my field, my salary increase would only be around a $10k increase.
>>
>>55709536
Trust me my man, I've busted my ass for the last 4 years and my GPA shows that. I truly enjoy programming simply because it's like it's own art form (minus programming conventions). I'm currently working on connect four with networking for my summer project and I would be totally happy with 60k for my first job. I was raised on a salary of 31k a year. (Dad died and mom is immigrant.)
>>
>>55709553
Real estate prices are beginning to skyrocket in my city. It's a sound investment, and I like living in the city. If I can own a house in my city I can probably sell it for like 50x the price when I'm real old. My grandpa bought like 3 houses in the CA bay area in the 70s for pennies, and now all of those properties are worth millions. He's been renting them out the entire time too. He's well off even though he never went to college, and has been a tradesman all his life.
>>
>>55709494
Stop giving him false hope. He's probably a Trump supporter
>>
>29
>uni dropout (2nd year of engineering... [no, not CE, just engineering. I had to decide later which career to take])
>no certs
>20k debt (that I won't pay)
>poor worthless parents

>NEET, after a grave illness

what in the fucking hell do I have to do to get a fucking job? I made a website and a library that I published in github. I was called to some 5 job interviews after sending some 100 CVs (10 of those were sent to a single website that lists programming jobs, all of the interviews were from that site), and no one hired me. I feel VERY demotivated...

should I kill myself? should I try doing my own shit by myself, and telling myself to just keep going? FML.
>>
File: 1831137.jpg (323KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
1831137.jpg
323KB, 1200x630px
>>55708630
>25
>sysadmin
>Bachelors in IT
>Sec+, A+, TS/SCIF
>45k

Fucking kill me already, jesus christ.
>>
>23
>B.S. CS Degree
>Graduated in 2014
>Been a depressed NEET ever since
>Barely study or expand my portfolio since graduating, was a shit programmer during college as well
>Probably can't even do fizz buzz anymore
>$30k debt and never had a real job
>Apply to about 2-4 programming jobs every 3 months, get an interview and drop tons of spaghetti because I know I'm a fraud, never get any calls back, get discouraged, continue the cycle.
>Want to move to a big city but have no skills or money
>Parents are upper middle, supporting my NEET lifestyle letting me do whatever I want

Kill me.
>>
>>55708630
I'm going to an annual STEM conference in 10 days. I have interviews scheduled for 7-8 roles and I only applied to 2 of them. The lowest offer would some (cheap and depopulated) city east of the Mississippi at $110,000. I wouldn't take it since I hate driving and don't want to live in a single-family detached neighborhood. Botnet Silicon Valley companies have flown me to California because friends said I might be a fit.

I'd type more but this will 404 and if I'm going to make the effort then something like Pastebin would be better so I can bookmark it. I didn't take a university math or science course until I was 23 and working on Wall Street. Send a few questions to my fake address:

greg.k.brian {at} gmail
>>
>>55709598
I'm black and I will vote for donald cuz' I want to see america burned by it's own bigotry

will be pretty funny desu
>>
>>55709552

Not if it's stopping you from writing the app. If your goal is to write the app, you can always refactor when you get more traffic.

What you're talking about is the architecture of the project. And just a wild guess but if you're more interested in the architecture of things than writing the app itself then you might want to focus on that. Find a partner who will write the app. Decide an an http restful api you agree on and split the work between yourselves. You focus on the server, they focus on the client.
>>
>>55709568
>I get paid weekly and right now make anywhere from $730-$1000 after taxes deducted weekly. To hit the higher end range I have to work 50+ hours which aint worth it in my opinion.

How is that bad again?
>>
Who InfoSec here?

Also, post tech job resources

Dice.com
/r/netsec hiring thread (worth looking for other positions too)
>>
>>55709610
How did you do in the actual interviews?
>>
>>55709629
>>>/pol/
>>
>>55709680
>go get yelled at for being black
>>
>>55709610
Follow this steps:

1. Make some dumb "innovative" shitty game, you can even use GameMaker, but make it well, not a buggy piece of shit.

2. Publish it in greenlight or some bullshit of the sort

3. Sell 20k copies for $10 dollars each, thats 200k

4. Repeat process until you made at least a million

Success, you are a millionaire with very little effort.
>>
>>55709659
well, I suppose it wasn't too bad... except for one that actually tested my knowledge in python/backend dev. I failed that HARD, because:
-I was kinda nervous, and
- I don't know shit about webdev... something I discovered because of that test
the other job offers required no experience.
>>
>>55709642
It's not. I'm never broke anymore and I can afford to live alone and support myself, which is nice. But I'd like to progress and make more money doing something I actually like doing.
>>
Is it true that you're guaranteed a job if you walk in wearing a dress and a rainbow bracelet?
>>
>>55709719

If you're applying to GitHub, yes.
>>
>>55709701

>Being concerned by the insults hurled by shrieking virgins and NEETs
>>
How did people like Mark Zuckerberg make such a grand fortune as such a young age?

What separates him from us, /g/?
>>
>>55709811
ivy league rich kid attended harvard
he would have been set for life regardless if facebook succeeded or not
>>
>>55709811
he had an idea for something people wanted and followed through with the work to make it real.
>>
File: lel.jpg (354KB, 2446x1146px) Image search: [Google]
lel.jpg
354KB, 2446x1146px
>>55708630

got hired out of secondary due to some significant github projects and national team for math olympiad

just turned 20 y/o making ca$h with ba$h
>>
>>55709841

>he had an idea

No, he stole his idea like a true kike.
>>
75k/yr
Because I haven't asked a raise yet. I'll easy be six figures by 30 so I really don't care
>>
>>55709857
ayyyeee
my nigga
>>
File: lel2.png (30KB, 1004x100px) Image search: [Google]
lel2.png
30KB, 1004x100px
>>55709868
zuck a chill dude low key, strong work ethic
>>
>>55708630
>Software Engineer
>No College Degree
How?
>>
>>55709888
Rich Gang Season 2
>>
>>55709900
He lives in imagination land and eats a bowl of wackly flakes for breakfast everyday. He also gets paid in monopoly money.
>>
>>55708630
>Software Engineer
Programmer
>>
>>55709617
>>55709610
>>55709624

Work on your interview skills. In actual work life no one cares how weird or anti-social you are. But in that interview you are unfairly (and unconsciously) judged by your personality. I have succeeded at every interview i've had and have conducted many interviews. Some tips-

1) Even if I know my shit. Look up common questions for your language. Try to have an answer for everything but if you don't say- "I don't have much experience with that but I do know.."

2) Smile and be genuine. Show them you are happy to be conducting the interview with a smile and an attitude of contained excitement. Be genuine by answering to the best of your abilities. Never bullshit because they are likely seniors- coming up with a bullshit answer will immediately end the interview, admitting you don't know but you are eager to learn is music to an interviewers ears.

3) Tell them, at any stage of your career, that you are confident in your abilities but are always learning and are ready and eager to learn from them. You never know everything (truth).

Be confident but honest. Be excited to work for the company. Talk to a mirror if that's what you need to do.
>>
>>55709931
Least he a pro
>>
>>55709913
lets get it
Thank fucking god we grew up when we did man.

Get rich asap bro, don't spend to much time making them money.
>>
Software is such a comfy industry. My internship nets at $16.75/hour and I get to choose my own hours. Fuck yes.
>>
>>55709702
I don't know shit about games t-b-h
I like IT, linux, infosec and hardware modding (as in, take a system, do something else with it. ex: android phone tablet used as display or something), but, at least in my country, the first two things don't pay very well, and the last thing is useless when you have a shitload of diverse hardware coming from china. I couldn't get a job in infosec.
>>
Endodontist
~300k debt
~350k salary
Degree in English, degree in Chemical Technology, DDS, residency
>>
>>55709857
What kind of projects?
>>
>>55709857
What were these github projects and how were they significant?
>>
>>55709900

I really, really enjoy it. It's the most fun thing for me. Figure out how to make it fun for you. Make a game? Make a spreadsheet? Make a bot? What sounds fun to you? With enough time, you will figure it out.

>>55709931

Nope. I do not just take specifications and translate them into application specific code. I write the specifications, write the application specific code, and mentor/guide others in development of the application.
>>
>22
>intern
>$15/hr

Their software stack is all sorts of fucked up because they've just added new shit to it over the last 20 years without ever scrapping something.
I'm in the process of consolidating it now. It's a small operation, so I'm the only person that's actually doing it, since everyone else just handles the day-to-day tasks.

It's kind of a pain, but I kinda like the challenge.
>>
>>55709366
Nothing wrong with JQuery per say, it was big even 5 years ago, but now React, Angular, Ember, etc are the big ones to know. Learning JQuery probrably isn't worth it unless you are shooting for a company that you know uses it.
>>
>>55710002
machine learning packages for OCR
>>
>>55709411
SE is big for programming.

Florida, and the entire research triangle. Not to mention any mid to large sized city has at least some tech presence.
>>
>>55710031
>Their software stack is all sorts of fucked up
Do tell...
>>
File: IMG_20160716_143502.jpg (91KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160716_143502.jpg
91KB, 640x427px
I will be 24 years old when I graduate.
12k $ a year after all taxes
These posts just makes me sad.
I wish I could live in a non shitty country
>>
>>55710011
I am unemployed since years anon and I am spending my time self studying/learning Java without any tech/computer science knowledge.
Do you think that if I keep studying and practicing I will find a job in the near future?
Is it too late to jump in the tech train?
>>
>>55710113
erdogan is the savior of the turkish people
>>
>>55710054
Is this something that's used by other people or in industry, or is it just something they were impressed with?
>>
>>55710126
little of one, little of another. it's sort of a niche category of OCR that happens to be what i do for work now (researcher at that company)
>>
>>55708630
>31
>Houseman at 5-star resort
>No Degree
>No Qualifications
>Parents are middle income
>$65k year and only work 35hours/wk
>Meals are provided by their in-house restaurant

Best job I've ever had.
>>
>>55710094
Applications that have been in production for so long that they've lost the source code.
Web applications written in COBOL, C, Delphi, and PL\SQL
Almost all of the infrastructure is Oracle, but none of their applications are written in Java.
>>
>>55710123

What can you make? Are you writing fizz buzz all day? That's garbage. Make something- it doesn't have to be original. I spent all of middle school and highschool getting to the point where I could write a forum from scratch. Not difficult now but at the time that was the ultimate for me. Once I did that (thinking I was going to write my own forum and sell it) I had the necessary tools to tackle any problem in that spectrum. Put it on a resume. Get an entry level job with those skills.

It's not too late. Refocus and find yourself. Why do you want to write software?
>>
>>55708993
I was hired at $100k and was promoted and also moved to a big bonus plan.

Previous job I had two roles over 10 years.
>>
>>55709163
How is to work in dev finance in argentina?
Do you have to know your math or doeas not matter?
Degree?
Developers are autist in Argentina too?
>>
>>55710054

I'm curious about machine learning because I'd like to get more into it. What kind of problems are you solving and how many separate models are you using? Do you feel like you need a clear understanding of the different learning algorithms to use machine learning or is it more of a black box to you?
>>
>>55708630
Cook
Non g degree
no cert
30k debt
poor, helpful parents.
~1k a month

I screwed up somewhere along the way.
>>
>>55708630
Project Manager
Doing final year of Bachelors
No diplomas/certs
20k debt
Middle-class parents

$700 a week after deductions, once i graduate and move to another company i will be expecting close to 6 figures since i'm at a small company now where even the directors are hovering around 150k salaries
>>
>>55710298
>I'm curious about machine learning because I'd like to get more into it. What kind of problems are you solving and how many separate models are you using? Do you feel like you need a clear understanding of the different learning algorithms to use machine learning or is it more of a black box to you?

Yes, my background is in mathematics. My current work involves non-linear optimization and approximation
>>
>all this worthless information

Salary is shit unless you also tell your location. 50k in the middle of the country is better than 100k in Silicon Valley.
>>
>>55710138
Where did you get the idea for it? Was it an implementation of something from a research paper, inspired by another project, something you came up with yourself, etc.
>>
>>55710377

Hehe. Project manager huh? How do I explain this..
>>
>>55710242
>What can you make?
I cant make anything yet because I am just learning the basics from codeacademy and readying heads first java second edition book.. :/
> Why do you want to write software?
I dont have a job and I always tought that you have to be a genious and go to university for 5+ years in order to work in the tech industry, but recently I did a research and found that there are anons working as programers without a degree.
Thats why I asked that question to you, to believe that I can do it too.
I spend years with depression but learning stuff by myself on the internet but nevet looked to the tech industry before and now that I know that if I study hard in my house thanks to thr internet I could find a job without a degree and I got motivated to do it seriously.
I have ideas to implement in my country industries and I want to develop that ideas by myself.
>>
English teacher
Learning how to program now
Very little debt

I think I can make a good language learning app, and that is my goal.

I am not really interested in making more than 120k. Not even half that. If everyone wanted to live like that we would need seven earths.
>>
>>55710400
No it's not. 100k in Silicon valley even after taxes and living expenses would still give you 50k left over. You would literally have to spend zero money on rent, food, and all other living expenses, and evade all taxes for 50k in the "middle of the country" to be better.
>>
>>55710416
I did a few summer intern/research things with a lab at stanford (I was pretty non-technical to start, just interested in math)
>>
>>55708630
I make 115 starting out of college, should be over 120 by next year. I work as a software engineer in SF so it's still a pittance
>>
>>55710580
Learn how to manage your money better.
>>
>>55710468

If you can develop an idea from the start and make money with it then you are the exception. Don't look at the perceived "geniuses" that were able to create something from nothing. Or the indie developers that created games and made millions. They all started by working at a companies and refining themselves against other talented developers. You don't have to be a genius (in my opinion, geniuses don't exist), you have to love doing something and do it hard. Love what you do, the money will come.

Also I'm a little interested how you think you can make a "good" language learning app. That's good money and people are interested in that thing. The entrepreneur in me says- tell me more.
>>
>>55708950
At the moment making $40 an hour as a programmer while doing second year uni. Studying computer science. Such a good work place though get to play and work with so much new tech. Currently doing some dev for the oculus to be used in biology research.
>>
Freelance software development & systems administration
In community college
Cisco certified
Making $280 a week
Poor parents

Flatting with three other people to share rent. Living very comfortably and have about $40 at the end of the week that goes in to savings.
>>
>>55710616
I'm managing it just fine. The 'pittance' thing was a joke. I hardly spend money on anything other than rent, but rent is still $1800 a month (in not that great of a place), and my post tax is around $5000. After putting some away for retirement and non-retirement investments, that doesn't actually leave that much.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (23KB, 319x315px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
23KB, 319x315px
Sysad/dev (a cool way of saying codemonkey, but I am part of the team that maintains a system used by our manufacturing and repair sites)
BSCS
No certs
No debt
Middle class parent, single hardworking mom

Hit the jackpot when I landed in a fortune 500 company.
>>
>>55708630
Currently making 75k per year, 2 months out of college. product management and marketing. might be nice. considering teachign english in china/japan/korea, t oget out of the ratrace for a few years. I can't stnad it.
also mildly drunk
>>
I'm a software engineer with 3 years experience.

I'm over 100k but not in SF/NYC so that's actually good.
>>
>>55708630
>If you make more than 120k tell me what you do and what you think was the most important for your success.
I would if I worked 40 hour weeks. $62/hr as an Exchange engineer, 32 hours / week, work from home.

Everything is either paid off, or can be imediately, though I do carry some debt simply because the interest rate on the loan is lower than the interest rate on savings.
>>
>23
>management
>bachelors in engineering/masters in business
>75k per year. hoping ot make 85 next year, but in a low cost of living area.
half month paycheck after taxes is lik 2500.
>>
>>55708630
Software Engineer
No College Degree
No Certifications
Low/Moderate Debt (Under $15k, mostly school bills)
Poor Parents

I make $125k/year. Biggest factors in success:

1. Getting the fuck out of nowhereville and into a tech hub. You want to be where there's more open positions than competent developers, not vice versa.

2. Having a self-cultivated skill that's actually valuable. No, nobody gives a shit about your school-taught Java because millions of Indians have that too. I do Objective-C and Swift but Python, Go, and JS are probably just as valuable out here.

3. Actually caring about the craft. I enjoy software development. It's not just my job, it's my hobby too, and because of that I care about the code I write and that shines through both in the interviewing process and in actual day to day work.
>>
>18
>pursuing my first CS bachelor's
>middle class family, so no debt
>pajeet

Considering the system is bullishit here, how would any of you recommend I plan my career, while not becoming cancer to the industry?
Is research still a thing in CS? Is it viable to earn a decent income?
>>
>>55711277
poo in the loo
>>
>>55710834

Good job!
>>
>>55710451
Not computer related.
>>
File: dy5KgdS.jpg (158KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
dy5KgdS.jpg
158KB, 2448x3264px
Side question. Do you guys have to take drug tests and shit. I wanna be able to smoke out.
>>
>>55709411
>Also black if that matters.
>spending 7 years in college
lmao

don't worry, you're still be hired as a quota hire despite obviously being retarded.
>>
Is Software Quality Assurance still a thing these days? How's the pay?
>>
>>55709629
>>55709701
>>>/blm/
or better yet kill yourself
>>
>>55711455
In any respectable solutions services company, they either inhouse a group specifically for that purpose or pay someone else to do it. It will always be there, I have no idea about the pay.
>>
>>55711386

Depends on the org. I work at a huge corp that stopped doing tests because 50% fail. And this is Kansas
>>
I no longer want to be a neet.
Please tell me how to be successful.
>>
>>55708765
>I get around 160k in total compensation per year.
A lot of companies like to tout "total compensation" when trying to recruit or keep me, and each time I say, "EVERYONE HAS BENEFITS, ASSHOLES, YOU AREN'T SPECIAL SNOWFLAKES AND IT WON'T STOP ME FROM LOOKING AT THE ACTUAL SALARY OFFERED."

Just reminded me of that. Not that your total compensation is bad. It's very good.

>>55708817
Doubling your salary in two years in the same company is more rare than a kid straight out of college making more than 100k.

I think it's something people don't think about when they first get out of school. Your starting salary extremely important for determining your growth in that company. If you start off with a shit salary, you're going to get yearly raises as a percentage increase of shit, thus your raise will be shit until you get promoted (and your promotion rate may be affected as well).

So, even for your very first job: don't be afraid to negotiate salary.
>>
>>55711585
I'm not including meme benefits like ping pong tables and food. It's salary plus RSUs.
>>
>>55711386
degenerates are shitty employees. They don't need a test to tell you're a pothead, kid
>>
I'm 24. I've always been into technology somewhat, but only a year ago I finally realized I could actually get into the business myself, quit my job and went to study for a degree.
After the first year I have to say I haven't learned a thing about programmong from the teachers, but self studying all of my free time I'm somehow way ahead of my class.
I worry however that I've started too late. I'm interested in semi low level application programming, but I wonder if I'll ever catch up to the real pros who've been programming since elementary school.
>>
Student
No College Degree
No Certifications
12k Debt
Poor Worthless parents

Still in school(5 years so far) for what I want to do, which is engineering. Right now, working at a help desk making 3 dollars more than minimum wage part time.

Finding internships are hard when your GPA is low.
>>
I've got a degree but i'm not doing development at all related to it. Though when I got started it was relevant and those years I spent got those years of experience checked off so it was really what got it all going. The determination as well. Could have given up at any point and not been here.
>>
>>55708993
Pretty similar. Was making 63k and got laid off. Pretty desperate after a month and had to get up and move but it landed me right into 100k. That didn't last but it pegged my salary and i'm on the rise.
>>
File: image.png (224KB, 500x371px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
224KB, 500x371px
>>55708630
>>55708771
>>55709012
>>55709022
>>55709240
>>55709463
>>55709985
>>55711007

Inspirational

>29
>Finishing my math degree
>>
>>55709143
My theory is that hybrid will never match native on devices. Peoples expectation increases along with the speeds of the devices themselves. Hybrid won't ever be able to offer the same experience(and I like javascript)

It is just very tempting to try and get people who can do webpages to do hybrid work and save a lot of money. I still have not seen any large success stories though I have not looked.
>>
>>55709362
Very nice. Owning multiple houses and renting them out is my end goal other than other various forms of retirement money.
>>
>>55708630
Data analyst
College degree
No nothing
Lawyers for a mother, hear from my father some birthdays

I bought my second house 18 months ago, living in it while working on it in my spare time, it'll be a nice dependable income earner once it is done. Or I might just keep living in it because it's getting pretty fucking nice now.
>>
>>55709362
That's awesome. I own two apartments, I rent one out and that pays for the apt itself and my own bills, still gotta work for food and vices, but it's a much more relaxed life. Hope I can get a third one soon enough, I'd be /setforlife/.
>>
>Ruby dev, mid-senior level getting paid junior salary
>SWE is shit in my country, about to leave for another company for a ~2x raise + health plans + etc
>Information Systems (I fucked it up, wanna go back and study CS)
>No certs, but they're not important if you're not a microshill
>No Debt, but living with my parents, kill me already
>Middle class family.
Bonus
>Pregnant girlfriend
>>
>>55708630
Does anybody in this thread want to be my sugar daddy???

I'm really cute!
>>
Network Engineer / Technician
College degree
No certifications
No debt
Poor-ish parents

Ā£49K a year.
>>
>>55712060
Are you male?
>>
>>55712060
fuck off, sammy
>>
>>55711616
>he fell for the RSU meme
enjoy watching it dry up and you can't do anything about it.
what's your compensation - RSU?
>>
Chemical Engineer
College Degree
No Certifications
Mortgage on 1 car and 1 apartment
Poor worthless parents

Head of PPIC at Merck. Earn about S$15,000 monthly.
>>
IT Worker (for a department on Campus)
about to start second year (cs)
no certs
gonna have a shit ton of debt
parents are middle class

I'm just scared I'm not going to have a job when I graduate, /g/. My biggest fear. Pushing for an internship next summer but I'm just scared. pls hold me /g/
>>
>>55712300
also follow up question

how the fuck did you guys know what you wanted to do?

I feel like CS is such a broad field, and the employers I've interacted with so far (from career fairs) have asked about specializations. They don't like the "oh I don't know I'm willing to try anything" answer
>>
Boilermaker/Maintenance technician in mining sector.
No degree.
Cert 3 engineering.
Middle class parents.

Last financial year i grossed $176000 aud.
>>
>>55708630
>Getting paid fortnightly
>Bragging about 80k-
hahahahahaahahahahahahaha
>>
>>55712269
Why would my RSUs dry up? This isn't some shitty startup.
>>
>>55712367
why would they restrict your shares if they didn't intend to jew you out of them?
>>
>>55712381
Do you even know what a fucking RSU is?
>>
Sheriff's deputy
No college degree
POST certification
No debt
Middle class parents
>>
>>55712398
>according to a vesting plan and distribution schedule after achieving required performance milestones or upon remaining with the employer for a particular length of time

it's just another bait and switch scheme
>implying they won't arbitrarily say you didn't hit the performance milestone
>implying they won't lay you off 1 month before you hit the designated period of time
tell me why don't they just give you the shares continuously at the same rate?
>>
>>55712434
That's what my employer does. Not my problem that yours is shitty.
>>
>>55712463
then it's not an RSU if they give you the stock outright
>>
>>55708630
Software Engineer
Bachelor's Degree
No Certifications
Paying off a car ~15k
Average Parents
80k including bonus

It's something. And hey, I like the job.
>>
Freelance Sysadmin
No College Degree
No Certifications
House Mortgage
Average Middle Class Parents
$65/hour

I can usually pull off 15 to 20 billable hours per week.

Not rich, but I don't need to wage slave and I am gaining more clients every month it seems.
>>
Wow you make what my dad made as an iron worker 15 years ago. That's... not really impressive.
>>
Why nobody Freelance here?
Is it too difficult?
Can I work for a shitty companny for 2 years to gain experience as a junior and then star freelancing?
>>
>>55712804
>Why nobody Freelance here?

I thought about freelancing for some extra money on the side.
Then I saw that all the popular freelancing sites are jews/literal scammers and/or infested by pajeets.

Fuck that shit.
>>
>>55712804
have to deal with too many retards to do what i want to do, good money but not worth the time
>>
>>55708630
>21
>No debt
>3 years into degree
>Also a drug dealer

My biweekly after deductions
>>
>>55709366
Just wrote my first angular2 front end.

It was a trying experience when all I wanted to do was manipulate the dom direcrly. Once you get used to mvc being forced on you it turned out better than expected.

Also, weback is God tier.
>>
>>55709411
Tbh being black is a huge plus in a white and Asian dominated ecosystem. It may not work well for startups but once the company gets their first human affairs person they start pushing diversity hard.
>>
>>55709410
>>55709457
For what it's worth, it looks like Angular2 RC5 will he pushing Dart hard.

Dividing the two camps, TS and Dart, may not be the best path to take though..
>>
>>55712944
Another way to go about it is to avoid those sites and contact local businesses and propose making a website for them, or if they have a website, propose how you could improve it. I have a friend who did just that for quite a while.
>>
Software Engineer
BEng in IT systems security, doing masters (wokred full time since year 1 to pay for uni)
Company forced me to do some Oracle cert, so I passed that just to make them fuck off
No debt
75k/year doing shitty crud 9-5 - plan to hop next year after graduation
poor as fuck parents ruined by some shitty business decisions

Basically my advice is to constantly improve yourself and work towards better job.
Certifications give you 2 more friend invites from recruiters on LinkedIn per week. Other than that they are worthless. Uni is pretty good for networking and getting good at math.
>>
How much can i make with a bachelor in SE and a masters in CS, if i moved to the US? Assume i am good, but not great.
Where i live, i can probably pull $5.5k a month before taxes.
I'm Aryan, don't worry about shitskinnery.
>>
Those 5.5k would be straight out of school/uni.
>>55716854
>>
>>55712179
Yes.
>>
>>55708630

>24
>Computer Programmer
>Master's in CSE from State UNI
>Badass Eye-Tracking Thesis
>No Certs
>Graduated without having to take out any loans. (in state tuition + full time summer work + part time semester word + a few scholarships)
>Rich parents. However they don't believe they have any obligation to financially support me though school. Said it would build character to have to work for it. Now that it's over I actually agree with them, I feel like I'm a better person for it. I could never afford to be lazy. Don't know if I'll do the same for my kids.

I just got an offer from a Google based company for 130K/yr plus a ton of bonuses (stocks, sign-on, relocation, no housing though). Hint: it's YouTube. Interview was really fucking hard, and I am floored that I got an offer. I haven't actually started yet, so I don't know what my bi-weekly takes going to be. It's Cali so the taxes are pretty high I assume.

In the process of moving to the Bay, from my flyover state, and I hate it. Too many people, too much traffic, everything smells weird, I hate programmer culture, everything in the office if red and made of plastic. Why are all the good companies in fucking California? This place blows.

Silver lining is my parents want to drop the money to buy a four bedroom in South SF, as an investment, and let let me live there for free. Three other rooms with be rented out to cover the mortgage. That's at least 40k I won't be spending on rent a year.
>>
>>55708630
what do you guys actually make after tax
>>
>>55708630
Network consultant
Associate degree of I.T networking (Australian)
Certs: CCNA, JCNIE, Palo Alto, Dell, VMware
No debt- certs paid for by company
Standard parents (in debt)

base salary is 55k a year before tax, while contracting adds me $50 an hour with clients.
On call adds me $200 a week with $50 every half an hour working after hours.
>>
>>55718257

Your parents are doing you a huge favor by letting you live in the Bay for free. You're right, it's going to net you an extra ~36k a year, all after taxes.

A good rule of thumb for Cali is to chop off 1/3 of your earnings for taxes, in your case that's going to leave you with about 87k per year, or about $3,625 for you bi-weekly check.

Don't know about stocks, and bonuses so I'll leave that out.

My advice is it invest everything you can while you're young. Index funds, property, IRA, 401. Max that shit out, and do it while you're young. With any luck you can expect to retire 10 years before all your friends. Even more if you want to retire back to your shitty hick town.

btw, I fucking hate you.
>>
Unemployed grad student (probably not for long)
Bachelor's in IT, in MS for CIS program
No certs
No debt (parents paying)
Guess you could say my parents are upper middle class, $50k/yr retirement from military, anywhere from 100k/yr to 250k/yr contracting with various companies

Hopefully I can get as good as a gig as my dad in the future. At the very least I just want to find a job that doesn't make me want to kill myself for $40k/yr. I'd be fine with that since housing is fairly cheap here.
>>
I'm a psych major but comp sci minor, how fucked am i? genuinely asking and worried here boys.
also liberal arts school, but top 50 college in the US.
>>
>>55713052
>>55712944
So you prefer to be a corporate cuck and dont like to home working?
>>
File: 1463549872470.jpg (425KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1463549872470.jpg
425KB, 800x1000px
Just turned 22
20 per hr internship, which will be turning into full time job with a raise to $30hourly this fall.
I have not graduated yet and have a year left in EECE.
My job has nothing to do with my major, I am doing back end web dev atm and implementing machine learning in the webapp.
>>
>>55708663
>It's kinda hard to get your foot in the industry when everyone autofilters you for not having a DEGREE and 5 years experience for an ENTRY LEVEL job.

Only recruiters and HR people do that. It's easier to get in if the person doing the hiring is also a software engineer.
>>
File: 1342505421508m2.jpg (156KB, 1000x694px) Image search: [Google]
1342505421508m2.jpg
156KB, 1000x694px
Why do people not say where they live? 120k in San Fransisco or LA is much different than 120k in say the midwest.
>>
>>55716854
>I'm Aryan, don't worry about shitskinnery.

We're still full, sorry.
>>
>>55708630
Software Engineer
No College degree
One Certification
Currently paying off a car
Divorced parents, living with my dad because he still owns the house we grew up in and can't afford it

Making $1250 every two weeks after taxes.

Where does everyone else work that they can make so much without a degree or anything? I'm convinced that's the one thing they shafted me with but I was in position to negotiate a salary.
>>
>>55720316
Because the midwest is fucking shit and no one would work there if they cared about the money. You'll be lucky to get 80k in the midwest for an equivalent job that gives you 120k in a tech hub.
>>
File: 1360806553746.gif (743KB, 400x230px) Image search: [Google]
1360806553746.gif
743KB, 400x230px
>26
>47k a year, around 36k after tax/benes
>Midwest
>Programmer
>BS CS
>No certs
>No debt

Job is steady as any job can be but I program very little at my job and barely have any outside time for personal fun projects. The best I can hope for is landing a project that requires a few C# scripts.
The lead devs get all the web app projects leaving the jr. devs with nothing to learn.

What do?
>>
>>55720411
I'm >>55711007 and I live in silicon valley. Despite what people say about the job market shrinking, the demand for good devs here is nuts. Lots of people are applying to open positions but few get through.

>>55720452
Yep. I came from a midwestern sort of place and after living in SV for a few years I don't think I'll ever be able to return. Everything I could ever want or need is available out here, whether that be things or people or food or whatever in quality and abundance. The difference in health consciousness alone is huge ā€“ after getting used to the grocery stores here with huge selections of fresh fruits and vegetables, walking through a more typical american grocery store makes me feel like I'm going to contract diabetes, scurvy, and heart disease all at once.

It's expensive to live here, but that's not without reason. It's legitimately much nicer to live in than the majority of the US.
>>
>>55720452
>>55720656
But isn't SV and SF a ratrace? Also, with tech hubs, is it mostly "we want a jack of all trades" or "we want proficient knowledge in this area"?

The midwest may be slower with adapting technologies but at least I don't have to follow every single new tech trend that will end up dying out in a few years. I don't know if that's it completely or even partially what is is like in tech hubs but that's my fear of those places.
>>
>>55720804
if you're worried about these sort of things i think you should examine your wants

you want a sure shot at something?
>>
>>55720804
>But isn't SV and SF a ratrace?
Anywhere with thriving industry is going to be to some extent. It's unavoidable.

>Also, with tech hubs, is it mostly "we want a jack of all trades" or "we want proficient knowledge in this area"?
Both are valuable. Jacks of all trades are great for getting a startup off the ground with minimal cost, but once you get to the point of having hired more than 5-10 people specialists become more valuable.

>The midwest may be slower with adapting technologies but at least I don't have to follow every single new tech trend that will end up dying out in a few years.
But you'll always have to fear for your job because supply outstrips demand, and you'll have zero bargaining power with your employer, as opposed to a tech hub where anybody with a modicum of social ability can walk out of one job right into another. If one company treats you like shit, no problem, go elsewhere. The result is that companies generally don't treat you like shit.
>>
>>55720452
That's because it's cheap as fuck to live in the midwest compared to living near a tech hub.

Guy's right - if you live in Cali, your $120k is fucking worthless.
>>
>>55721050
Tell that to the $60k a year I put into my investments.
>>
>>55721050
But quality of life is generally better, depending on what you value. Your apartment will be small, but basically everything else is much higher quality in SV. It's mind boggling how much nothing there is in midwestern towns.
>>
>>55721064
>$120k/yr
>$26k taxes
>1BR avg rent Cali, $1,300

>"I put $60k/yr investments"
>"I put 64% of my non-taxable income into investments

Shut up faggot, no you don't.
>>
>>55721141
>I don't understand the concept of saving, I spend my entire paycheck going to parties and bars
>>
>>55721094
>implying spending fuckloads of money on the outdoors/environment, cause muh "social experiences" are important, vs carefully crafting a bad ass cozy home that is literally a daily vacation get away 24/7.

This logic, I will never understand. I've been around the world, resorts, vegas, you name it - my home is nicer than all of that dumb shit, so I have zero need or desire to leave it.
>>
>19
farmhand
>No College Degree
Truck cert, crop spraying cert, rescue specialist (my countrys emergency management agency) medicine handling cert + IV, IM (VET.)
>10K debt for car
middleclass parents, they cool.

last year made 35K, thats about what i have made so far this year.
>>
>>55721156
Hey man, if you want to live in a shitty small house, drive a shitty car every day, and not know what it's like to have nice things during all of the prime years of your life - by all means.

Me, I take a balanced approach. Savings is important, but so is quality of daily life. Plenty of years ahead to save for early retirement and a strategy of incremental multiplicative income growth will still get me to where I need to be.
>>
File: ccie_reading_list.jpg (253KB, 951x1280px) Image search: [Google]
ccie_reading_list.jpg
253KB, 951x1280px
>>55708630
Network Engineer
Electronic & Communications Enginner
CCNP, CCIE Written, CCNA Sec, CCNA DC . Practically I am all in one (a little of vmware, tend micro, windows, palo alto, fortinet, cisco)
No Debt
I envy all of you, I make 15K per year. Someday I will work in a first world.
>>
>>55721164
Well, that's cool if it's what your prioritize but to me the nicest home in the world is worthless if the produce in the local grocery store is half unripe, 80% imported, and limited in selection and the shelves are mostly stocked with things like white bread, mountain dew, TV dinners, and 99Ā¢ 50-count economy pack mystery meat hot dogs.

>>55721214
Agreed, waiting until you're almost dead to enjoy life makes very little sense, but blowing everything on today makes no sense either.
>>
>>55721270
I live outside of Chicago, though. The produce here is incredible - it is the logistical heart of the country.

My 2BR freshly remodeled house with full sized basement and 2 car garage costs as much as Cali median 1BR apartment shitty rent.
>>
>>55721094
That means dick all to someone like me who just stays at home all the time.
>>
>>55721050
$40k a year in Georgia where I live is enough to get you a small house.
>>
Just turned 21
Student
Starting Junior year for a Bachelors in CS
11k debt
parents pay for car, (most) food, and shelter

At least I can start applying for internships through my college now.
>>
>>55721259
i have techs in our callcenter sneezing out CCNAs without a basic understanding of DNS i dont know how you people do it
>>
>>55721301
That's a little better then. Yeah, life around most major population centers is probably fine, save or maybe places far away from ports like Kansas City.

Fuck anything smaller than that that though. I don't see myself moving anywhere rural or semirural until I'm in my 80s. Growing up in the middle of nowhere gave me enough of that for a lifetime.
>>
>>55721344
95% of my country make less than 4.5K per year. The network field is very devaluated in spanish but there are some good Cisco Partners like Atos (ACS or Xerox, changed the name 3 times) and you can make 25K per year (Only the CCIE can make that money).
>>
Daily reminder, your days are numbered and one of these days you wont exist anymore

Not that I enjoy anything, at least I look good
>>
File: 20160713_062321.jpg (324KB, 1328x747px) Image search: [Google]
20160713_062321.jpg
324KB, 1328x747px
>26
>Account Manager for International Contact Centers
>$72k/yr
>I get to travel the world on company dime
>No College Degree
>No Certifications
>I have car loans, that's about it
>My dad is pretty wealthy, doesn't throw me cash tho

India makes me appreciate being born in the US and everything I have so much more.

>>55721457
This, because of people like me.
>>
>>55721214
I don't need a big house. I want to live alone my entire life. I also don't get any more enjoyment out of driving a Ferrari over a 2006 Camry. If I wanted, I can always buy a cheap ass McMansion in flyover land AFTER I save enough for retirement.
>>
>>55721434
skills that cant be used domestically are always undervalued

mattering less and less though with remote staffing, wish you all the best
>>
>>55721511
Well, you are fucking weird then. Life must be dismal basically enjoying nothing in life.

Then again, you probably don't know it, because of that.

Zoloft might help.
>>
>>55721541
>being a mindless consumerist goy is the only way you can enjoy life
I really feel sorry for you. There are plenty of things do to in life that are enjoyable and low cost or even free.
>>
>22
>no degree or certs
>IT support over the phone/VNC for retail stores, 1000~ stores. Pretty shitty, more of a call centre, only getting 10 minutes per call to fix the problem or escalate/backlog, so get pissed off users constantly waiting days. Really dislike but have to do another 4 months before I could justify quitting and keeping on my CV to get another job.
>20k britbongs/yr
>student loan I don't have to pay till 21k/yr but not that bad, from dropping out of uni
>>
Corporate Management
BSc. Management, going to MBA in a few years.
No certs
No debt
$7600 a month after taxes
Upper-middle class family

It's good to be the part of America that literally everyone hates.
>>
>>55721568
Hey man, at least you are capable and very confident in justifying your depression. That's good.
>>
>>55720225
Don't forget the firm handshake.
>>
quantitative analyst
centrale paris + essec
no "certifications", we don't really have that in france
no debt
rich parents

the key to success is easy : hard work and dedication
>>
>>55721641
...and rich parents to put you through the best schools.
>>
>>55721641
>rich parents
>"I worked really hard guys"
>>
>>55721641
>the key to success is easy : hard work and dedication
dude, nah

key to success is having an in with someone that works where you want to and having rich or connected family, that's it, hard work only works in rare instances and fairy tales, don't delude yourself
>>
>>55721682
>>55721697
centrale paris is free and one of the hardest schools to get in the country

as for essec, well ... yes, you need money, but that was only 2 years

education in France is nothing like in the US
>>
>>55721716
"rare instances," I guess. Not that guy, but I started working for a retail company making $7.25 an hour checking people out at a register and almost 9 years later, hard work no degree, I manage a $30M+ budget, fly all over the world, etc.

You can always build the "ins," but without hard work, those doors will not present themselves and nobody will believe you. Having stories and a resume to back it up is also key.
>>
>>55721716
plenty of friends from centrale who didn't come families of means, you build your network at school
>>
>>55721750
That's why I said "rare". What you detailed is the exception, not the rule.
>>
>>55721777
+from
>>
>>55721789
I believe it's only rare because people with shit opinions like yours convince others not to put in the time, so many people think it's only a "dream."

If more people put in the effort, it may not be the case.

However, in all fairness, the majority of people are not born with enough intelligence and critical thinking skills to accomplish, so I suppose a large segment of people are predisposed for it to be a dream.

Worth a shot for everyone to put in the effort though, IMO.
>>
>>55716854
>>55716861
noone?
>>
Senior Programmer
Bachelor Degree
azure, .net, pretty much all microjews, and some rare database
No Debt
White Collar

around 700 usd per month
third worlder here my total expenses per month is around 100 usd
I could earn more if i move to anglo countries work as a outsource but naaahh
>>
>>55708678
is that your car?
>>
> 23
> About 1.5 years before Master Degree in Computer Engineering
> Not bad at programming, but DON'T really want to be a codemonkey, not even as my first job
> European

What career should I pursue?

I like cybersecurity, but I don't want to spend more years without a job trying to get more certificates.
I think I'm also quite good at leading team projects.
>>
>>55721716
What's your definition of success?
>>
>>55721811
It is rare, because for the right circumstances to take place for it to happen are incredibly unlikely to happen.

You can put all the effort you want towards it but that doesn't jack shit will happen. Better to just get a stable job for a paycheck then enjoy some hobbies before you inevitably die.
>>
>>55712607
>65 x 24h = 1560
>1560 x 30d = 46k
>46k x 365d = 1708000
holy shit dude u must be rich
>>
>>55722067
>eurofag

why bother with job, just practice sucking arab cock
>>
>>55721850
The real question is - do you ride a two wheeler or drive a car to work?

India? Philippines? Colombia? Panama?
>>
>>55722269
>Philippines
if its a comfy cloudy day i use my bike if not i use public transport, trains and bus
>>
>>55708630
>No Debt
Is that even a thing outside of Murrica? i'll finish my master degree next year and have exactly zero debt and no my parents aren't rich and it's all being paid by me
>>
>>55722300
Cool man - I hope the Philippines is a bit cleaner than India. Everyone in Manila and Baguio I've dealt with has been super nice. Can't wait to get out there sometime.
>>
>>55708630
So how does salary work in murica? I live in the netherlands and I get about 30kish per year. I have the feeling I could earn loads more in the US.
>>
>>55722409
fuck off we're full
>>
>>55722409
What do you mean how does salary work?

They pay you on the 1st and 15th of every month.

That's how it works.
>>
IT at an MSP
Almost finished with my Bachelors in IT + business Minor

I really love the job so far, i can work while i finish my degree, pay isnt great but my expenses are extremely low atm and im getting a lot of experience while im still in school so im happy. Feels like a lot of room for growth (small business) but with that said pay may not scale with the responsibilities like id hope.
>>
>>55722438
How the fuck are you guys getting three times the wage I get while we are both living in a first world country. Fuck this shit. I'm packing my bags.
>>
>>55722459
It's not what you think - things are just 3 times more expensive here. Your income/living cost ratio is probably in line with ours.

Like, when I go to India, I am rich as fuck compared to everyone because a chai is like $.14 there and I'm used to spending like $3 on a coffee at starbucks... but 10RS similar in cost when they're only making like 20,000rs a month or something.

The grass probably isn't greener on the other side.
>>
>>55718257
they didn't support you through college but bought a house to support you now? that makes no sense
>>
>>55722523
>It's not what you think - things are just 3 times more expensive here. Your income/living cost ratio is probably in line with ours.
Depending on the industry it's probably not 1:1, I'd say he'd probably still be making more in the US even with living expenses accounted for.

The tech industry in the US is just plain bigger than that of the Netherlands, no two ways around it. Schools here also are shitty at producing individuals to fill dev positions (at many high schools, "computer class" consists of MS Word) leaving a sort of vacuum.
>>
>>55722679
Not enough of a difference to justify the retarded amount of money needed to properly immigrate here, though.
>>
>>55722739
Once again, I'd really say it depends. If you're decent at all you can probably get a company to help with immigration. I know a number of people from european countries who are happy with their decision to immigrate to a US tech hub.

I definitely wouldn't bother if I were on my own though.
>>
>>55722785
No business is going to pay for naturalization... and you have to be damn rare and in a pretty high level position for them to go full blown relo with an H1B1, and that's not going to be long enough for you to go through green card process.

Don't get me wrong, I get the appeal, but it's certainly not fucking easy to make it happen.
>>
>>55708630

>42 (yes, oldfag deluxe)
>$145K last year
>should come in just under $140K this year because the company's financial performance was pretty weak and that is a big part of the formula that determines our bonus
>sysadmin/DBA for the biggest pharmaceutical company in the world
>Unfortunately, finally getting my CS degree at 31 was the last big hump. Otherwise I'd have probably not cracked the $100K mark by now.
>>
>>55708919
I'm sorry anon I hope you and your family do well
>>
>28
>Aerospace Engineer
>Bach in EE, Master in AE
>No debt
Parents supported me through college, financially

>110k
>1st year
>>
>>55709380
Migrate to Australia. Any money says you're more skilled than 90% of the paj's who program here. I've lived in your country and am back here in Sydney with my porteƱa girlfriend now. Your prospects aren't improving at home anytime soon.
>>
>>55708630
>Software Engineer
>No College Degree
>No Certifications
How do these three align?
Claiming to be an engineer without qualifications is fraud.
>>
Tech Support "Engineer"
~$20/hr
60k in student loans
Play Pokemon Go all day
Friendless permavirg

My 2 STEM degrees are going to waste, but whatever.
Thread posts: 290
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.