[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm thinking of setting up a multi-GPU cluster for running

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: radeon_city.jpg (92KB, 640x462px) Image search: [Google]
radeon_city.jpg
92KB, 640x462px
I'm thinking of setting up a multi-GPU cluster for running CUDA code and I was thinking about how much the performance will be affected if the cards are too close to each other and blocks airflow.

Doesn't pic related affect airflow and then affect performance?
>>
cant even run crysis on medium settings
>>
>>55706789
Those 40mm fans in those server cases blow a shit ton of air and sound like jet engines because of that. They are usually enough to cool GPUs and such. Even nvidia's dual GPU tesla has a passive heatsink and some cutouts on the side so that the case fans can bloe directly to the heatsink.
>>
using open air coolers packed that close together is asking for a housefire. get some passive coolers and make sure the case has good fans instead.
>>
literally why
>>
File: openframe.jpg (108KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
openframe.jpg
108KB, 640x360px
Do not use a case. Crypto-currency miners do this all the time.

You can either use a wire metal shelf or buy an open air frame on eBay. People have been doing this for years. Whatever you do make sure it's conductive and that the PSU is mounted to the unit itself so things are grounded properly.

Put a box fan behind it, and you'll have better cooling than any case would provide.

>pic related
>>
>>55706908
he's a fucking moron and uses implicit calculations
>>
>>55706912

that's great if space isn't an issue, but if you're not on a budget a rack and a bunch of 2u cases can pack a lot more GPUs.
>>
>>55706789
water cooling blocks
water cooling blocks everywhere
>>
>>55706963
You can't use water cooling if the cards don't leave enough space between them for the pipes.
>>
There are server cases with PCI-e risers that gives you enough breathing room for 6 or 8 GPUs. You can get those for about 400-500 bucks.

A cheaper option is to use threaded rods to stack components up at different heights.
>>
File: IMG_20160714_220438.jpg (33KB, 480x645px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160714_220438.jpg
33KB, 480x645px
>>55706789
>running CUDA core
Maybe you mean running CUDA programs.

Get a life cracker...
>>
>>55706912
>use those gpu to mine shitto currencies
>can actually bruteforce your sister's vagina
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.