[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

well lightning just hit something near me and my PC crashed with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: maxresdefault.jpg (37KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
37KB, 1280x720px
well lightning just hit something near me and my PC crashed with the message "no bootable device" on a completely black background no bluescreen or anything. It booted back up with no issues the reason im posting this is that i found it mildly amusing and wanted to know why this happens.
>>
When lightning strikes the lighting gnomes in your PSU have to physically remove the lightning. This process involves several corporate layers and paperwork that the gnomes have to complete and submit to relevant authorities. This can take time . Give them a break they work hard.
>>
File: 1469068075834-b.jpg (29KB, 575x323px) Image search: [Google]
1469068075834-b.jpg
29KB, 575x323px
>>55704833
Your drive was demagnetized by the lightning.
You need to place your hard drive in the microwave for 10 second on high to re-magnetize it. Replace the drive back into your pc and plug the cables back in and boot your computer.

It happens from time to time especially when harddrives get older.
>>
>>55704833
Something is probably still fucked. Prepare for inevitable hardware failure.
>>
>>55704922
Can confirm this also works for Solid State Storage and USB flash drives.
>>
>>55704981
yeah i am wating for the pc to go tits up but i hope it lasts for another 2 weeks til i get back to my desktop.
>>
>>55704833
That's a firmware (BIOS/UEFI) message, the other standard wording is something like "Non-system disk or disk error, press any key to continue".

What probably happened, because it came back again, is your power supply dropped out somehow due to either a power surge or momentary blackout - enough of a glitch to reset the machine, but most likely crashed/glitched out the firmware on the storage device your OS is on (be it hard disk or SSD), or froze the bus it's connected to - so when it tried to boot the OS again, it didn't find anything.

You're very lucky your hardware is still working. This kills the computer.

When I was a little kid, my dad took me to a little place on a hill which was being decommissioned (they used to generate a 'numbers station' from there). He brought home for me - apparently because it was destined for the bin even though it was still quite new - a Torch Communicator, a great big industrial metal monster of a computer, which was basically a BBC Micro Model B with a Z80 daughterboard running CP/M, two 5 1/4" floppy disk drives, a built-in monitor and a keyboard. I loved it.

We lived near hills. And hills mean lightning. There was a power surge about two years after I suppose which made the CRT glow really bright. Not wanting to ruin anything I unplugged the machine. Like some kind of freakish nightmare, it just... kept going, for like, a minute before turning off.

Testament to the build quality and the caps in that beast's power supply: it still worked fine, but the disk drives never worked again (it demagnetised the read heads I guess?).

I should've kept it; it really should be in a museum.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.