[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I haven't built a computer since Nehalem and pretty much

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: capture.jpg (19KB, 749x89px) Image search: [Google]
capture.jpg
19KB, 749x89px
I haven't built a computer since Nehalem and pretty much forgot all the complicated stuff. Please discus RAM modules with me.

I see that these days, the average DDR4 module does something like 2133/2400MHz with CAS Latency around 15/17ns, so that's about a real latency of 7ns, right? Now, there's also some hektik gamer RAM with aerodynamic heatsinks doing 3200/3600MHz at CL 14/15ns, which averages 4ns.

Now, of course, smaller latencies are better, but I'm not sure whether or not all that shit becomes relevant at all once in a system? The new SkyLake i7 6700K has on its specs sheet a compliance with DDR4-1866/2133, which is, I suppose the "bare minimum" type of DDR4 RAM it will take, but the part that interests me is the max memory bandwidth rated at 34.1 GB/s. What exactly is this number and how does it relate to RAM? I googled a bit but didn't find much. The dumb thing would be to think well the RAM does 3.6GHz, right? So that's pretty much 3.6GB/s. If I have 2 modules, maybe that's supposed to add up to 7.2GB/s to the CPU? In that case, the CPU has way enough room, so no bottleneck here and the faster RAM really will be better?

Additionally, does the motherboard matter at all for this? I'm under the assumption that all of them have the same buses from RAM to CPU, but that might be wrong. The only specs I found on the MSI-Z170A-G45-GAMING for example is:
DDR4 3600(OC)/3200(OC)/3000(OC)/2800(OC)/2600(OC)/2400/2133 MHz, Dual Channel, 4x DIMMSO, 64GB Max
Which really doesn't tell me anything except that yes, it accepts this kind of RAM.

Please enlighten me as to how those numbers relate to each other. I would like to just buy normal valueram because that gamer shit looks terrible and is not practical at all, but I don't want to significantly gimp my new system either.
>>
>>55697038
i thought you guys loved to talk about consumer electronics and GAMING machines
>>
>>55697109
Ever read the fucking sticky once?
We hate all Gaymen shit. That's for >>>/v/
>>
>>55697124
The entire catalog says otherwised. I'm asking about RAM specs though, not especially for gaming.
>>
>>55696021
> The dumb thing would be to think well the RAM does 3.6GHz, right? So that's pretty much 3.6GB/s
How did you get these numbers?
Look. 2400MHz is PC4-19200, therefore 19200 megabytes per second (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIMM#Speeds and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR3_SDRAM for details).
> max memory bandwidth rated at 34.1 GB/s.
I don't know where you got that, but its bus speed is 8 GT/s, T stands for "transfers". It doesn't matter what transfers: from VRAM to RAM, from RAM to SSD, etc - all stuff fills the same bus.
So, your RAM will not be maxed out in terms of speed, but it will be future-proof.
>>
>>55697464
I got confused, a cycle has no reason to equal a byte you're right.

I got 34.1GB/s from the intel spec sheet.
>>
my dick is stuc
>>
You actually built a computer from scratch? That's fucking impressive, mate!
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.