[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm looking for a travel laptop. I always wanted to buy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: 0001.jpg (232KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
0001.jpg
232KB, 700x525px
I'm looking for a travel laptop. I always wanted to buy a sexy Thinkpad X200 with Libreboot because of muh freedums ( https://minifree.org/product/libreboot-x200/ ). Though, I don't know if the CPU is powerful enough to do a lot of operations. The fact is that when I travel, I often crack wireless networks to get free internet. Would it be possible with a X200 or is the CPU too weak ?

My current laptop has an i7 one, when the thinkpad only has a Core 2 Duo.
>>
>>55695598
Just get an X220 you poofter, they're cheap as fuck these days and have a fairly decent Sandy Bridge CPU. You also have the advantage of being able to upgrade the woeful stock display to an average quality IPS which you can't do on the shitty old X200.
>>
>>55695617
Does it have a good battery life ?
>>
>>55695669
Power usage is around 8-15W, new 9 cell batts hold 94Wh, do the math.
>>
File: Lenovo-ThinkPad-X220-011.jpg (1MB, 3112x2410px) Image search: [Google]
Lenovo-ThinkPad-X220-011.jpg
1MB, 3112x2410px
>>55697654
Don't forgot about this sexy bad boy.
>>
>>55695598
Why would you want an X200? X201 does everything and better. Choose between a X201 and X220.
>>
>>55695598
>Would it be possible with a X200 or is the CPU too weak ?
Don't know about wifi cracking, but for anything else that is considered "normal" use, the C2D is plenty powerful enough. Of course it's not as future proof as a current i7, and it needs way too much power for such a small machine, but then, it only costs like 10% of its current great grandchildren, so there's that.
Plus, the machine itself is really robust and compact, and has a god tier keyboard. While I love my latest gen X1 for its light weight and all day battery, I always miss my X200, for its keyboard and bullet proof built. Flooded it once, dropped in from the table twice, and it still runs. doubt the X1 will survive that.
>>
Libreboot x200 user reporting in.

OP, with a new 47++ (9cell) battery, you can get about 4 hours of battery life. I watch videos (on youtube but also on device), browse 4chan and chat on telegram a lot. Torrent for a bit, etcetera.

For general use it's absolutely fine.
>>
It depends. If you want a free-as-in-freedom setup where you restrict your usage to emailing websites to yourself and browsing them in Lynx, it's perfect. If you want to use any type of modern web browser or productivity software, no.
>>
>>55695598
X201 is less laggy on power save options
X200 runs cooler and by that i mean it produces almost no heat at all
>>
>>55697873
appendix:

see attached screenshot for general specs of the laptop. also i'm using a samsung SSD, which should increase speed (did so for me)
>>
>>55697876
>f you want to use any type of modern web browser or productivity software, no.
This is wrong.
X200 with 70 or so tabs in firefox, 20 in chrome, a few megabyte heavy LO spreadsheets, 3 large ipython instances, inkscape and gimp and it still works. Only gets slow when you run out of RAM and have to swap to HDD.

>>55697916
>and by that i mean it produces almost no heat at all
This is also wrong. The cooler loves to collect dust, and then its hard to idle under 60°.
Its no problem however, since a) you can easily take it apart and clean it, and b) it also runs fine at 90°
>>
>>55697947
What is swap?
>>
>>55698182
your /swap partition. An Overflow for your memory.
>>
>>55697873
This doesn't add up. I get 4-5 hours out of a 9cell with my 15" T601F. How can a 12" laptop with a lower voltage CPU be merely equivalent or worse?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (10KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
10KB, 480x360px
>>55697654
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlRWqqWay7c
>>
>>55697674
$$$$$$++
>>
X220T is the best travel laptop.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.