[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How the hell are you supposed to know what circuit has a problem

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

How the hell are you supposed to know what circuit has a problem when some electrician makes an RCD control all the circuits? Been having the power trip out a few times a day and can't work out what thing is doing it because it's so intermittent.
>>
>>55688464
unscrew and test?
>>
>>55688500
I'm not an electrician. Before RCD, the individual circuit switch would flip making it easier to detect what device may be faulty.
>>
>>55688464
Unplug all the appliances and test them one by one.
If RCD kicks in, it means something is shorting to ground and that's a life hazard.
>>
>>55688521
Individual circuit can still flip based on overcurrent protection, like when live wire shorts to neutral.
RCD flips when live shorts to ground, and that's very bad.
>>
>>55688534
That's easier said than done. There are like six circuits to go through. Kitchen has dishwasher, washing machine, water filter, fridge. Then there are lights, idle tv/satellite, water heating, internet routers, phone, xbox.

What makes it frustrating is when I flip the RCD back on, it won't flip again until several hours later. The device doesn't seem to cause a trip immediately. Also if I use turn off a device but leave it plugged in (switched off at wall) can that still push residual current back through the circuits?
>>
>>55688554
I thought it triggers when the current isn't the same coming back. What if I get another RCD module installed...I could then better isolate what circuit the fault is on or maybe make all the sockets have RCD protection?
>>
>>55688651
Then monitor them, so you know what they were doing when rcd flipped.
Maybe it's your stove, but only that one particular ring is busted. Or maybe it's the water boiler. Maybe cord is busted and when it's twisted in particular way, then it shorts to ground.

If device is off, then it won't trigger the rcd, unless it's caused by damaged wire located before the switch, that physically touches chassis/neutral.

>>55688712
It triggers that way. It triggers when current going through live wire isn't the same as current coming back on neutral wire. And that happens when current leaks to ground or PE wire
>>
It's probably defective and needs replaced. Over time they degrade and become very sensitive.

T. Electrician.
>>
>>55688760
What I am saying is when I turn a device off with a power brick (that will have some current lingering still), is it possible for that to push power through the socket still even if the socket has a switch off? I doubt it is that device but now I have started unplugging things completely.

I dont think any cords are twisted as it just goes off when not even interacting with any device unless there's some rat moving about. It has gone off when most things are off or in standby. The last time it went off was when a tv and hot water was on. I'm calling an electrician soon so hopefully they can test some devices.
>>
>>55688878
From the things I have read, they say it is almost likely a faulty device and not the RCD. How would you deal with it if a customer can't explain what is causing the issue? Replace and assume problem fixed?
>>
File: Sh14Vs39Piter-OK.jpg (117KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Sh14Vs39Piter-OK.jpg
117KB, 1024x768px
>>55688464
>he have one rcd for all lines
>>
>>55688880
no, if it's off like that it should flip.
>>55688878
It's the opposite. If you don't test your rcd monthly, then it might not trigger at all when you need it. That's why it has that TEST button.
>>
>>55688922
They're expensive and I assume most people only have one because it is a legal requirement in some countries. An electrician isn't going to want to make a customer feel ripped off if he is upgrading their circuit box and then has to invoice for several.
>>
>>55688917
Well I have the proper test equipment to make sure they are running within spec but that costs thousands. If you want to fix it yourself a replacement would be the best thing to do first.
Earth leakage can be very tricky to diagnose as it's generally caused by a nail through a cable somewhere or a badly fitted socket faceplate. I'd start by asking if any diy jobs were done just before the fault started.
>>
>>55688961
How many people even test theirs? No one I know has ever said "oh look it's that time where I need to test my RCD and cut off my roommates power". This would piss a lot of people off in shared housing if you did that every month.
>>
>>55689013
I dunno. It's just what every rcd instruction manual says: test regularly, or this negligence might cost you your life.
>>
>>55688994
I will probably be told to get a replacement from the electrician as I doubt he will go round testing each thing. See if all sockets had RCD on, it would be easier to know than look in the circuit box. Also is it normal to have some things like lighting without any RCD protection?
>>
>>55688464

OP every 2 years i have to replace the main two switches on my outside circuit breaker. Next time your power goes out, go outside, shut the power off at the street and feel the two switches. If one or more are really hot you need to switch them out.
>>
>>55689153
It's his job to properly diagnose faults, if he missed something obvious and you were killed or injured he'd be jailed.
Lighting and low current circuits are less likely to have RCD protection on older installations as there's less risk involved with them.
When I do new full installs I typically have each floor of the building covered by its own RCD.
>>
>>55689169
A properly working circuit breaker should work well for decades, mechanical failure of the switch is the most likely fault.
If they are overheating you have bad terminations, the breakers aren't at fault.
>>
>>55688994
>proper test equipment to make sure they are running within spec but that costs thousands
You could test them with two resistors lol
Generic 30mA rcd on 220v should trip with 5.4kohm to ground and should not with 21kohm.
>>55688980
Plug in some faulty device? Enjoy your blackout.
Wire insulation came loose somewhere inside the wall or rcd fail? Enjoy your blackout and wait for electrician.
And 30$ for piece is not expensive.
>>55689153
>is it normal to have some things like lighting without any RCD protection?
Well its legal, at lest at russia, but you'd better put 30mA rcd everywhere.
>>
>>55689539
Why not just have plug sockets with RCD protection?
>>
>>55689590
They do not protect wiring and they are more expensive (eg you need them on every socket).
Btw nobody in eastern europe use them. Only some water heaters are equipped with rcd on the cord.
>>
>>55689539
To conform to regs they must also trip within specific time frames depending on the extent of the current leakage and also not trip below 15mA. You can't test that with a resistor.

If you really wanted to make things easier and spend a bit of extra cash you'd just put a RCBO on every circuit. That's what I have in my house.
>>
>>55689692
RCD aren't for protecting cables, they only prevent death from electric shocks. Having them only one once specific appliance at the socket is pretty much worthless. Except maybe if it was a shower I guess.
>>
>>55689692
I have seen some homes with them here but most in the UK it's just the normal outlets. I think if I had them I would be testing them before every time I plug something in. It would just be ridiculous.
>>
>>55688922
tfw both of my houses still use TN-C so i cant have a proper RCD setup.
Well at least i dont have blackouts in the city.
Still the first thing i will do when i earn the right money is change the installation.
>>
>>55689697
>they must also trip within specific time frames
Sure, but resistor test is enough for field/diy applications.
>>55689717
>RCD aren't for protecting cables
Rcd detect current leakages to ground which includes leakages caused by damaged wire insulation. Google "fire protection rcd"
>>55689792
>so aesthetic
>>
>>55688651
>That's easier said than done
N337-5p33k for: I'm fucking lazy.
>>
>>55688922
Those appear to be regular old breakers, Sire.
>>
>>55690516
>six abb f202ac
>>
>>55690570
Oh yeah, didn't see the resets. My appologies.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.