[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does half of the Internet still use this piece of shit, including

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: cloudflare.png (57KB, 901x573px) Image search: [Google]
cloudflare.png
57KB, 901x573px
Why does half of the Internet still use this piece of shit, including 4chan?
Every time one of their servers shits the bed I might be as well have no Internet at all.
>>
>>55687656
Because it's the only reasonable way to protect website from 13yo "hackers" with botnets.
>>
CloudFlare is unpredictably shit but at least we all know it's going to falter now and again. It's a known unknown.

Any other service might be better or it might be worse. No one wants to risk finding out because it's an unknown unknown.
>>
>>55687680
You'd think we already have better ways to mitigate DDOS attacks than just piling more servers (on the cloud!) on top of servers but guess not.
>>
>>55687656

Years ago there was a story in the tech circles that the US government was gonna man in the middle shit tons of website's encryption. They claimed it was for the greater good etc. etc. This was all before Snowden and even Cloudfare themselves. Fast forward about 12 years and we have sites going through cloudflare due to "ddos attacks" if they don't.

Cloudfare is also hostile to Tor.

Quite convenient.
>>
>>55687680
This. Remember the chanocaust.
>>
>>55687826
As if I wasn't paranoic enough already.
>>
File: Screenshot from 2016-07-21.png (66KB, 883x439px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot from 2016-07-21.png
66KB, 883x439px
>>55688085

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CloudFlare#Criticism_.26_Controversies
>>
>>55687819
I don't think you understand how DDOS works. If you know a better solution, I'm sure 4chan would love to know.
>>
>>55688393
>CloudFlare responded by calling their accusers "15-year-old kids in Guy Fawkes masks"
o i am laffin
>>
>>55688393
Unprofessional bunch of hacks.
>>
>>55688422
OVH or another DDoS protection host. Or the hardware they use. A few months ago my site had cloudflare and was being DDoSed for ransom. Cloudflare didn't stop shit. Upgraded to paid Cloudflare and it still didn'the do shit, it was a layer7 attack coming from wordpress xmlrpc.php. A OVH dedi (with ddos protection) was only 10$ more a month than my old host so I tried that instead of paying the DDoSer 600$ btc and it worked. Unsubscribed from the shorty cloud flare premium and they didn't even let me use it for the rest of the month.
>>
>>55688894
OVH is doing exactly the same thing as cloudflare, they're one of the biggest ISPs on the planet so they have the resources. Although they have some issues - sometimes their firewall blocks legit connections.

Cloudflare free protection is almost useless

The only possible explanation why paid protection didn't work for you is because your real IP address leaked. If that's the case, cloudflare can't do shit to protect you until you change your IP. (OK, that's where OVH has the upper hand, you don't have to hide your IP there).
>>
>>55689168
PS. I'm not aware of any other consumer-tier ISP on the world that has DDoS protection in the same league as OVH and clouflare.

99% of "DDoS-protected" hosts are a fraud and, when attacked, they will blackhole your IP in no time.
>>
>>55687656
because moot used it so it's cool
>>
>>55689168
How do you prevent an attacker getting the server ip? I never had uncloudflared direct-connect. setup, just cloudflared www. and *. and even tried setting direct-connect to a bogus ip.
Attacker was still able to get ip of my new hosts, after I switched, and had paid cloud flare enabled (the cheap 20$ one, not the the 200$ a month).
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.