[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I really want to dive into becoming a Game Dev, and while I have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: Screenshot_2016-07-21-15-14-45.png (309KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-07-21-15-14-45.png
309KB, 540x960px
I really want to dive into becoming a Game Dev, and while I have so many ideas, I'm really having a hard time learning to script and render. I really want to work with Unity, so I've been looking into C# so I can eventually move to C+, and looked a bit into Java to see if it was a good beginner's alternative. I've just hit a block of understanding any of it. Is there any way I can ease or work around it? Anything I should know?
>>
Bump for help.
>>
Programming isnt easy. Especially when you want to develop a game. Either learn C# first and then try to integrate that to Unity or quit.
>>
>>55687051
You either learn the API and use it to script (unity/unreal) or you start from the ground up and roll your own shit (engine and real programming).

As a beginner, you should start with unity and learn C#/unityscript to get a basic understanding and don't be too harsh to yourself...
>>
Drop Unity and learn from the bottom up. You can't expect to hop onto a high-level platform and make sense out of things. You are very likely to just develop another extremely amateurish game. My suggestion is to drop all that, take a reality check, and start from ground up. Learn C and C++ to gain the insights you will need as a programmer, and develop easy games at first. You can use the console for output at first, then move on to something like SDL or SFML. It's easy enough to use if you take the time to go through their docs. After that, you can start learning higher level languages - Java, Python, Pascal, C#, or even Haskell, whatever floats your boat. When you have a solid background these will all be far easier than they seem now.

Also, learn a bunch about game design, math, physics, history, biology, chemistry, literature, music, artwork, cinematography, 3D modelling, philosophy, and so on. Learn anything and everything. I'm not kidding when I say that absolutely any knowledge you have will somehow find its way to be used in a game, if nothing else to spark creativity.

And most importantly, have fun. If you won't be having fun then it's a very bad idea to spend this much effort on anything.
>>
>>55687051
What exactly are you stuck on? This is incredibly vague.
>>
I chose Unity because I felt like it has a lot flexibility for different levels of expertise while still allowing good in-game fidelity. I looked around at different engines.
Are there any books or guides that could help me understand the actual language better?
>>
>>55687736
The composition of the language. The actual formats for the scripts.
Scripting in general honestly.
>>
>>55687763
Doesn't unity have good tutorials for that?
Learn the language, then go back and look at the tutorials
>>
>>55687779
The tutorials are good, but its just not clicking. The rendering and actual designing part of it are pretty straightforward. It's just doing it until I get the rust out.
The tutorials really didn't explain the language.
>>
>>55687763
Learn your target language first of all. Then it's just a case of working out how it's structures and concepts apply to whatever library/engine/SDK/etc. you want to use.
>>
>>55687818
Any for recommendation for learning C#?
>>
>>55687051

I hit that block of understanding back when I first started learning.

5 years later I'm working on a couple of games that I'm actually going to finish and the next set will be more complex.

The block is just time and effort.
>>
>>55687852
I have so many Ideas that I can't wait to see in an explorable representation lol.
>>
>>55687845
Not from me I'm afraid, I learnt C++ first (I used the code for the CryEngine as an example of working C++ and the stuff on learncpp and cppreference to learn more) and just kinda picked up C# from stumbling through it afterwards.
>>
I learned to program by using the box2d implementation in libgdx. Sounds maybe strange but you can just fuck around and getting direct feedback in a for beginner understandeable way. Everything else will come to you in time from there.
>>
>>55687907
Which do you feel would be better to start with?
>>
>>55687908
Never heard of it. Ill definitely look into that.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.