[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to get a near top of the line laptop just as good

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: breaking-news.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
breaking-news.png
1MB, 1280x720px
Is it possible to get a near top of the line laptop just as good as a PC? What would I have to limit if I were to build/get one?

Of course I want to use this shit for playing vidya, that's why I'm asking.
>>
>>55677268
You will always be able to buy/build a better desktop than laptop thanks to modularity.

That said, there are plenty of perfectly adequate gaming laptops. You just have to spend a bit more for discrete graphics, desktop grade CPU, higher RAM, and SSD.
>>
>>55677295
Well let's say I have infinite money, don't care much at all about modularity, and don't want something gimicky or edgy like Razer. Preferably I'd build it myself. Then what?
>>
>>55677268
>Is it possible to get a near top of the line laptop just as good as a PC?
If you mean as good as a top of the line desktop computer, no, absolutely not. This is impossible.
You also get a lot more power for your money with a desktop.
>>
>>55677328
>Preferably I'd build it myself.
Build your own laptop?

I hope you own 4axis CNC machines and a wave soldering station.
>>
>>55677407
I guess he could put everything in one of those "console killer" cases and strap a portable monitor to it.
>>
>>55677397
Yeah, but I'm not a NEET and I go out fairly frequently. Basically, if I need to rephrase; how does a top of the line laptop compare to a top of the line desktop?
>>
>>55677456
>how does a top of the line laptop compare to a top of the line desktop?
Badly. Very, very badly.
>>
>>55677466
Well obviously, fuck face. I just want to know if it is even viable to have one. For example, is there a laptop that can run youtube, a fairly hefty steam game, 4chan, and maybe file explorer all at once with minimal to no issues? If not, I'd like to maybe see some charts or some shit explaining why not. You're /g/ after all. Imagine you're helping out your slight savvy grandfather.
>>
>>55677546
>Thicker and heavier than old Thinkpads
>Worse durability and battery life
>Space heater
>Loud
>>
>>55677546
>For example, is there a laptop that can run youtube, a fairly hefty steam game, 4chan, and maybe file explorer all at once with minimal to no issues?
there are literally dozens of gaming laptops released each year.

The best of the best are those huge hulking monsters from MSI/etc with dual GPU. Then Sager, Razer, other boutique brands (Razer's gaming laptops are actually quite good and often recommended on /g/). If you want to go further down than that, even Dell and HP make "gaming" laptops (but be prepared for shit build quality).

The reason people are shitting on you in this thread left and right is that you appear to have no idea how to use Google. All the tier lists and charts and reviews you're looking for are just a search box away.
>>
>>55677739
To be fair I was just passively browsing /g/ and decided to make this thread. Didin't even ATTEMPT Google. However, would I be able to take all the shit from a good PC and put it in a case that doesn't look like pure autism? I can't fucking stand the Razer astetic.
>>
>>55677795
Yes. There's lots of options out there.
>>
>>55677456
You could get something similar to the new dell inspirons, 8-16gb of ram, i7 processors, 2 or 4gb gtx660m vid cards. They'll run basically anything on at least medium settings, most at high, and they're only around $1000.

You can obviously get better, but be prepared to spend over $2k. They dont really compare to desktops at all because laptops are way more expensive, and they generally aren't the best in regards to cooling/fan noise
>>
>>55677795
>However, would I be able to take all the shit from a good PC and put it in a case that doesn't look like pure autism?
yes, you can put (just about) any hardware in (just about) any case.
>>
>>55677268
Yes, time travel.
>>
For the same price? Nope. A $2K laptop will always under perform a $2K desktop.
>>
Gpu docks?
>>
Get a macbook pro and an external GPU for gaming.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.