[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

does USB performance degrade over large lengths of cable? long

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: tumblr_o14y4n8MZj1u8df7so1_500.jpg (56KB, 500x367px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o14y4n8MZj1u8df7so1_500.jpg
56KB, 500x367px
does USB performance degrade over large lengths of cable?

long story, but I will be having my pc in a different room and I want to run USB extensions for keyboard and mouse.
what you think?
>>
>>55674811

Any kind of electricity degrades with length.
>>
>>55674811
The electricity is only moving at 1/3rd the speed of light (299.792.458 metres per second), of course it degrades the performance you donkey
>>
>>55674844
It depends on the material but it's more like 50%-99.99% the speed of light
>>
>>55674890

>the motherboard processes information at 99.99% the speed of light

Get out.
>>
>>55674811
who fucking cares, try it then buy a repeater if you have problems
>>
holy fuck look up 'nanosecond grace hopper' on youtube
>>
USB 2.0 standard specifies a max cable length of 5m. Beyond that you should use a repeater.
>>
About 5-7 meters before you get issues, shitty standard is shitty.
>>
>>55674844
>>55674890
I think you guys are confusing the speed electrons through the wires and the propagation of electrical field. The speed of electron is irrelevant because all the electrons along the length of the wire are moving pretty much simultaneously
>>
>>55675024
This. There's not reason the signal can't make it that far but USB assumes that the cable will be short. This means after a packet is sent, it will only wait so long before receiving an ACK signal before resending the packet. Since the ACK never gets back in time the sender keeps sending the same packet.

The repeater gets the packet and sends the ack and since the distance is short it gets back in time. The repeater then repeats the packet down the line and waits for the ack itself. It repeats until it gets an ack.
>>
Already do what you want to do OP.

I'm using a

10m HDMI cable
two 10m usb's
one 12m usb hub

I can run a mouse and keyboard at same time off the hub just fine and that's @ 12 meters

However, anything that takes any real amount of power will heat up the cables USB female (your adapter end) connection something awful

Cams? gonna heat it up. USB mic? Gonna heat it up. USB flash drive? Gonna heat it up. Don't even try and plug in a phone or something

My mouse and keyboard cause no heating though.

Controllers like 360 pads etc. are usually fine. Depending on the extensions quality it may or may not become hot at the adapter side.

If you want to run anything that requires any juice you need to buy a powered hub and make sure it doesn't run back power to your comp.

Also I wouldn't expect more than 1080p from a long HDMI cable (what I assume you're using for picture)

Hope this was helpful. Enjoy your absolute silence.
>>
File: 81Xc43aSSfL._SL1500_.jpg (306KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
81Xc43aSSfL._SL1500_.jpg
306KB, 1500x1500px
>>55675809

They are all single cable by the way - this type
>>
>>55675809
>>55674811
what do you need a >5m usb cable for
>>
>>55675888
I literally have my computer in the room below me because I need this room to be absolute silence.

OP wants his in another room. Probably a similar reason. That's why, man.
>>
yea data over 50ft can degrade. u can buy boosters or high quality wiring. i forget specifics and may be innacurate here.

fucking wireless nonsense
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.